help

Aircraft powered airboat discussion.
outback
Southern Airboat Member

help

Post by outback » Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:51 pm

need some info. What is the normal operating temp for my 220 gpu with a 3 blade prop. Also I have no oil dip stick just a clear tube from bottom of oil pan to engine block can't tell how much oil I need to keep in it some one please advise me with help.

PM
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Re: help

Post by PM » Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:20 pm

Can't tell you about the height of the oil in the sight tube but I would recommend draining it and adding oil while marking the tube starting at 6 quarts on up to 10.
Everyone you talk to will tell you a different operating temp. Mine usually runs 170-180. If I dog it I will see 190. Some guys say 140 and everything In between. I asked Abner recently and he said 170-190 is normal operating range. He said much less and you won't evaporate the moisture out of the oil.
15' Rivermaster (Hoffman)

goldhunter_2
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by goldhunter_2 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:43 pm

[quote="PM"]Can't tell you about the height of the oil in the sight tube but I would recommend draining it and adding oil while marking the tube starting at 6 quarts on up to 10. [quote]

X2

depends on if its a stock sump or custom and how its set so the best way is to do like Pm suggested so you know form know.

whats your oil pressure at startup and after it warms up ?

PS: you mite want to fill in your profile location and someone local may be able to help you when questions arise

Support our future , get a kid involved in the outdoors!!

:rebel:

outback
Southern Airboat Member

Post by outback » Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:10 am

Thanks for the advise. My oil pressure after warm up is around 25 psi. running at 3500 rpm it holds 60-80. The engine never seems to fail to run good but seems to use oil. I changed the oil when I bought it and put in 10 qts it went through 2 quarts fast not coming out of exhaust so not sure where it is going. I have two blow by tubes on the upper cage but seem to be dry but do blow smoke from them. anymore info would be great. I am in Alabama so really no airboaters here besides me

twister69z
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by twister69z » Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:14 am

They do love oil. Seriously have a compression check performed, a Differental test not a automotive check. That will tell the story.
Twister69z
If you don't have time to do it right the first time ,
Where are you going to get the time to do it a second time?

outback
Southern Airboat Member

Post by outback » Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:32 am

Can a oil tube be put on this engine if so were to get the right parts. Also would like to find the year and exact model of engine I have. Were to look on engine for numbers. If burning oil is what these engines do I will just keep adding , Love the boat it.s a lot of fun I can about anywhere with it. FAST AND LOUD !!! HOT RODDER FOR LIFE

goldhunter_2
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by goldhunter_2 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:06 pm

A leak down test like twister mentioned would be a good idea , it will tell you if your rings are bad or the exhaust or intake is leaking . also I have seen allot of these engine without a splash shield before the breather tube . These engine hold more oil but over eight has always seemed to come right back out in my experience . as long s you stay over 20 psi your ok

as far as where the oil dipstick would go , looking form the prop at the engine n he right side towards the front of the oil sump you'll either have a plug or where you site tube is connected just off the bottom and about two three inches back form the front of the sump. that is where the dipstick would normally go .......... personally I would keep the site tube!! empty the oil sump and fill up one quart at a time and mark it so you know

Support our future , get a kid involved in the outdoors!!

:rebel:

Return to “Aircraft Power Only”