emergency kill switch wiring

Aircraft powered airboat discussion.
Shippee123
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

emergency kill switch wiring

Postby Shippee123 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:12 pm

I am trying to wire in a kill switch to my mags. The only way I have figured how to make it work is to wire a diode into the ground. It works with both mag switches on but if I have either in the off position it allows the ground circuit to kill the other mag without cycling the kill switch. Is their a special kill switch I need due to having two mags, I am currently using a standard marine one?

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Art
11'6"x7' Royal craft with a 0300a Continental swinging a 74"two blade Super Snapper

swampsquatch09
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Re: emergency kill switch wiring

Postby swampsquatch09 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:03 am

Maybe leave the wires to the p leads and mag switches alone, I'm guessing you've got those already

then split off the 2 p leads to one wire to the switch that kills both it should bypass your to mag switches when in the on position and ground to kill :scratch: maybe :dontknow: the two mag switches seem to be simple and reliable
14ft Maxcraft, 70" WW Signature Series 320 lycoming
:texas:

toddcat1
Southern Airboat Member

Postby toddcat1 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:19 am

I have a buddy who had a emergency kill switch on his mags,we were running the button wood making a trail his line for the kill switch he had snagged a tree branch shut his boat down and his boat went to the bottom.Becareful

Deano
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Postby Deano » Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:17 pm

If absolutely feel the need to have one, I would very emphatically encourage you do a search on here about the pros and cons of doing so.

If for any reason it was ever employed unintentionally you would have no steering. :shock:
There are already a couple of entire threads devoted to that exact subject matter. I don't want to
hi-jack this thread, just wanted to encourage you to make an informed decision before you proceed.

My opinion is that I won't do it, yours may or may not end up being the same; just be
sure you don't overlook some of the ramifications when you are making your decision.

Ending up on the bottom could be a attractive outcome compared to a couple other alternatives.
"The suppression of uncomfortable ideas may be common in religion and politics,
but it is not the path to knowledge; it has no place in the endeavor of science."
- Carl Sagan

midnight rider
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby midnight rider » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:39 pm

I'm completely against kill switches for an airboat but if you absolutely must have them just go to any marine shop and an buy two kill switches. One for each mag. Just wire them parallel to your mag switches. Nothing else needed.

Shippee123
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby Shippee123 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:11 pm

I just figured that if your rear leaves the seat that you would want the boat to stop, I understand how it could swamp the rear if it was inadvertently pulled. New to airboats, thought it was a must for safety being inexperienced.

Thanks for the input .
11'6"x7' Royal craft with a 0300a Continental swinging a 74"two blade Super Snapper

swampsquatch09
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby swampsquatch09 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:37 pm

How fast does a boat at idol move though, or when your foot is off the pedel on plane to no throttle? I'd say the only way you would leave the seat is something that could have been prevented, goin to fast over shot a turn from sliding or poor judgement from to many beers, often when in dought power out not pull the cord and bail ya know! I wanted one too when i started out but it should become instinct to mash switches in an emergency you tend to act fast under adrenaline jmo and experience
14ft Maxcraft, 70" WW Signature Series 320 lycoming
:texas:

Return to “Aircraft Power Only”