Continental fuel injected woes

Aircraft powered airboat discussion.
DDSBC
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Continental fuel injected woes

Post by DDSBC » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:56 am

My IO-520 hasn't seemed to run right since the fuel injection system was rebuilt. My mechanic finally said the problem was my fuel lines coming from the gas tank, to the water separator and fuel pump were old and collapsing on themselves causing the motor to starve for fuel whenever I went WOT. After replacing those lines he said the prop was over pitched and he took some pitch out to make it spin up to 2800rpm because it was barely hitting 2600 rpm. Now with the injection system having been rebuilt and double checked, new fuel pump, new water separator, and new fuel lines I thought that was odd. Prior to the injection system having been taken off to be rebuilt I was spinning my 74" Whisper Tip to about 2750-2800 rpm static while set at the 15 degree mark off the B sticker and now it's spinning about 2800rpm static set at about 11.25 degrees on the B sticker. My cruise RPM's seem to be higher and my top end speed seems lower. I'm hoping it's just not tuned right. Here's a pic of my top plugs with the far left being the left side closest to the prop, the one next to that is the middle cylinder and the one next to that the front, next to that front right, then middle right, then right rear closest to the prop. That last one sounds like I got an exhaust gasket leak on it and the plug seems a little oily and dark. I plulled the plugs to do a leak down test then realized I don't have an 18mm adapter so I'll have to get that first. Also plan on replacing all he exhaust manifold gaskets on the right side just to make sure but I have little hope that will solve anything. I talked to J.c. Stanley and he said to check my idle and WOT fuel pressure and I will but haven't got around to that yet.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (112.36 KiB) Viewed 3312 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (236.65 KiB) Viewed 3312 times
Micah Smith

BCAHCC, KRVSA and lifetime NRA member
12x7 Diamondback w/ rivited on poly, double rear driver double front passenger, full cage, 285 hp IO-520 swingin a 74" Whirl Wind Whisper Tip.

JT540
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Re: Continental fuel injected woes

Post by JT540 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:06 pm

you need to have your system overhauled. quickdiesel does a great job. make sure you have a matched set of injectors looks like some running lean some rich. also check for intake leaks. don't give up on fuel injection its just needs the right hands on it!
"THE MORE I LEARN ABOUT WOMEN THE MORE I LOVE MY AIRBOAT"

DDSBC
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by DDSBC » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:02 pm

[quote="JT540"]you need to have your system overhauled. quickdiesel does a great job. make sure you have a matched set of injectors looks like some running lean some rich. also check for intake leaks. don't give up on fuel injection its just needs the right hands on it![/quote="JT540"]

My mechanic rebuilt my motor a couple years ago and at that time I didn't have the fuel injections system overhauled. The motor ran strong but was real picky to get started and needed you to keep your foot in the throttle until it warmed up. That's why I finally went back to my mechanic and had him pull the whole fuel injection system just before I took the boat apart to put a new sheet of poly on it. At a total cost of about 2k he pulled the system, shipped it out to whoever he trusts to rebuild it, then reinstalled it on my boat along with a new electric fuel pump inline with my old one because he said it wasn't getting enough fuel pressure. Boat was still hard to start after he reinstalled it so I took it back and I think he said he pulled the spider check valve but don't quote me on that. Then boat started easier but choked whenever I went WOT. I thought maybe my old electric fuel pump was causing a restriction so I pulled it and left only the new one he installed inline but it would still choke at WOT. After I replaced my spark plugs at 50 engine hours and my mechanic tried bumping up the fuel pressure a couple times and that didn't fix it. I finally dropped it off to him and he said he pulled the whole injection system back off and shipped it back out to the guy who had rebuilt it and that guy said nothing was wrong with it. This was done at about 56 engine hours. He reinstalled it on my boat and it still had the same problem, that's when he discovered that the fuel lines where collapsing on themselves so he replaced them and it started and ran good but wouldn't spin the prop over 2600 rpm so he took some pitch out of my prop. I now have about 60 hours on my engine so these plugs have had about 10 hours total run time and only about 4 hours on it's current tune.
Micah Smith

12x7 Diamondback w/ rivited on poly, double rear driver double front passenger, full cage, 285 hp IO-520 swingin a 74" Whirl Wind Whisper Tip.

John Fenner
Southern Airboat Member

Post by John Fenner » Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:56 pm

Cold natured means the fuel pressure is a bit high on the low end and the fuel valve is too retarded to the throttle shaft, there is a fine line to get the two balanced, now the WOT adjustment is not too big a deal, a simple slim common screwdriver to the needle valve can make a world of difference in performance.
I never finish anyth,,,.

JT540
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by JT540 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:03 pm

sent you a pm
"THE MORE I LEARN ABOUT WOMEN THE MORE I LOVE MY AIRBOAT"

HAMMERHEAD
Southern Airboat Member

Post by HAMMERHEAD » Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:04 pm

SEE QUICKDIESEL! ANDGET IT DONE RIGHT!

SkinnerBack
Southern Airboat Member

Post by SkinnerBack » Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:19 pm

Can you buy injection systems from quickdiesel or does he only over haul them

DDSBC
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by DDSBC » Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:44 pm

JT540 wrote:sent you a pm
Thank you for the info.
Micah Smith

StanleyAirboats
Southern Airboat Member

Post by StanleyAirboats » Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:35 pm

Have it sent off and done right by a certified aviation shop when you get it back it will be right .

jopete
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by jopete » Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:56 pm

sounds like you need a new mechanic. quit throwing away your money.

good luck!!

DDSBC
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by DDSBC » Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:44 pm

I have my compressor charging to 110psi, set the compressor regulator to 100psi because my harbor freight leak down tester said no to go over 100psi, however when I hook it up to my compressor and turn the tools regulator until it's at 0% leak down and lock it in it only shows 15psi on the tools gauge even though my compressor regulator is set at 100 and the tank is holding over 110psi. I don't trust this dumb tool! Hope to do a fuel pressure test and wa wondering if this is the correct spot to hook up a fuel pressure guage to test the motor while it's running.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (186.78 KiB) Viewed 2669 times
Micah Smith

Bubba
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by Bubba » Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:46 pm

You asked for advice and got it but wont listen lol? Send it too Joey!!!!! Or keep taking advice and spending money with the people that cant fix it lmao.
FLIRTIN WITH DISASTER

never enuff
Southern Airboat Member

Post by never enuff » Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:33 pm

why is your fuel feed hooked to the vent on the spyder or is the diaphram not in there ?

DDSBC
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by DDSBC » Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:45 pm

never enuff wrote:why is your fuel feed hooked to the vent on the spyder or is the diaphram not in there ?
Optical illusion it's not hooked up to the vent.
Micah Smith

never enuff
Southern Airboat Member

Post by never enuff » Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:47 pm

10-4

DDSBC
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by DDSBC » Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:56 pm

Bubba wrote:You asked for advice and got it but wont listen lol? Send it too Joey!!!!! Or keep taking advice and spending money with the people that cant fix it lmao.
I know it looks that way. I haven't had the time to take the boat to anybody yet and have just been trying to check what I can before I do take it to anybody. I'd like to personally verify that the issue is the fuel injection and the motor is healthy with no oil ring, compression ring, intake valve, or exhaust valve leaks. I still gotta check with my mechanic to see who he sent the fuel injection system out to before I unknowingly take the boat back to the guy who rebuilt it already.
Micah Smith

Bubba
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by Bubba » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:33 pm

It looks lean to me. I would check injectors, probly got trash in them from fuel lines?
FLIRTIN WITH DISASTER

radialman66
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by radialman66 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:41 pm

Check for air leaks on suction side of pump.( between fuel tank and pump). I had same problem with cont. Inj. On my 0720. Any small leak on suction side will cause pump to cavitate at wot. Took me a year and a lot of choice words to finally figure it out. My problem was a fuel fitting that threads would leak air into fuel stream at wot.
"let us cross over the river and rest in the shade of the trees" General Stonewall Jacksons last words.

KRVSA member.

Qwikdiesel
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by Qwikdiesel » Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:37 pm

StanleyAirboats wrote:Have it sent off and done right by a certified aviation shop when you get it back it will be right .
Intresting.. Is that where everyone should send they're engine's too?
Rule #1.. There Not Fake If You Can Touch Them!!

Daddy Dave
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Daddy Dave » Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:13 pm

Injection won't tolerate any trash. If your fuel lines were internally deteriorating, then particulate matter has likely contaminated your injector system. I don't see any inline fuel / water / particulate spin on high capacity filter in line ... You might consider useing a Yamaha long style fine micron fuel filter element and use Yamaha fuel lines from tank to spyder. Yamaha outboards have the most sensitive injectors in their HPDI and 4Stroke systems, so their fuel lines and fliter elements are arguably the best. Your mechanic / system rebuilder has failed to fix your system and you have spent good money gone bad. Time to try another trail.
A I R B O A T

Anytime It Runs, Break Out Another Thousand

stroked470
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by stroked470 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:34 pm

I almost pissed myself on that one Joey! Hahahahahahaha

Qwikdiesel
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by Qwikdiesel » Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:08 pm

SkinnerBack wrote:Can you buy injection systems from quickdiesel or does he only over haul them
I have complete systems. Continental and Bendix.
Rule #1.. There Not Fake If You Can Touch Them!!

P.Vento
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by P.Vento » Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:07 pm

I'll trade you a carb for it, lolwho runs injection these days anyway :lol:

SkinnerBack
Southern Airboat Member

Post by SkinnerBack » Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:10 pm

P.Vento wrote:I'll trade you a carb for it, lolwho runs injection these days anyway :lol:
x2 on that i want some injection for when i redo me motor

DDSBC
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by DDSBC » Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:35 am

blackwaterairboats wrote:DDSBS was that you that I saw running around Area 2 Monday? I am the guy with the big orange boat. If it was you were smoking real bad out of your right exhaust. You have one plug that looks pretty rich and the most of the others look pretty lean.
Yes that was me couldn't resist taking the boat out for my birthday even though I know it's still not right. The boat cranked up easy, ran great, shut down easy, started with 9quarts oil and ended with the same after 15-20 gallons burned. Only thing is it still seems to wind up good when you floor it but once it's spun up and under WOT then the RPM's drop a little.
Micah Smith

Return to “Aircraft Power Only”