Helping Fellow Boaters That Are In Trouble

Aircraft powered airboat discussion.
lbdb1a
Southern Airboat Member

Helping Fellow Boaters That Are In Trouble

Post by lbdb1a »

My wife an i were in our outboard duck boat....with a 10 ft airboat flag mounted forward on the bow. I also have a 300hp JC Stanley Gitsu Continental Caloosa airboat ...anyway we blew the powerhead on my outboard as we were heading out for an afternoon duck hunt on the big O today.

After an hr of polling back to the main trail that runs south from the Monkey Box two jerks in an airboat came down the trail at about 3:45pm and motored bye us without stopping to offer us help. They know who they are if they read this.....

I called a friend and after 3 hrs. we were back to the boat ramp at Fish Eating Creek.

I am disappointed in my fellow airboaters........maybe if i was in my airboat they would have offered help.

Larry

:)
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Re: Helping Fellow Boaters That Are In Trouble

Post by :) »

Thats a shame.. i always make eye contact with passing boaters and waive.. figure anyone that needed help will motion at that point... if u motioned in anyway and they passed by? I just cant see anybody leaving someone on the water.
14 ft Combee. 4 seater, BPE 383 sb chevy, 2.09 stinger, 3 blade ww stump puller.
"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." Thomas Jefferson

KR23
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by KR23 »

If you did try to wave them down and they did not stop, those were not airboaters my friend. They were people who just own an airboat.
"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction"

http://www.performanceairboats.com/Home_Page.html (407)349-1209

Warrior AirCraft Engines: (772)260-4235

mojoe
Southern Airboat Member

Post by mojoe »

I have also seen the same thing. Dissapointing. Just don't let them get you down.

"Do on to others as you would have them do on to you."
Mark 7:9

Blackcoffee
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Blackcoffee »

The fact that you had a flag yells out I have a airboat or respect them by letting them know I am here to avoid a accident. Can't believe they left you out there.
GTO 14' Deckover

stroked470
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by stroked470 »

Yup the Flag should have said it all to those guys, none of the duck boat guys ever have a flag nor the bass fisherman that end up in the airboat trails on the lake. Dosnt really matter if you were an airboater or not, it is the right thing to do if you were in need of help.

SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by SWAMPHUNTER45 »

Stand and all persons on board wave arms in a jumping jack fashion. Shirts or flag can be added to enhance surface area and color contrast. Maybe they thought they ruined your hunt and were just getting out of the area ASAP.

graywhale
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by graywhale »

yes it's a same, i have been there myself, boat wouldn't start, couldn't hand prop it, so i stood on the bank with jumper calbes in my hand when airboats would come by and they just waved it me. after about four boats went by a guy in a small 4cyl stopped and gave me a jump. am old school and belive that what goes around comes around, if i see any body that may need help i always try and help airboat or not. that's just me
what goes around, comes around

akblackdawg
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by akblackdawg »

In Hawaii, the deck boy told the crew and passengers, that if somebody falls overboard, to have the woman wave her bra and jump up and down, it will get his help fast. Bud
:alaska: If you ain't living on the edge, you're taking up to much space.

15x8 Alumatech hull, with enclosed cab, aluminum cage, LS 3, 6.2 aluminum block ffi, 2.7 Balistic Box, sensinich superwide 3 blade. Built for year around riding in Alaska

Skeeter-Gee
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Skeeter-Gee »

I have broken down twice , the first time with my son fairly close to the ramp in sweetwater canal . I was passed by 3 boats , all of which waved.I had the cowling off my engine and was trying to get it going. The second time I was running across hell n blazes , I saw 3 guys with there engine cover off. I ran to them asked them if they needed help shut mine down and lent them what tools I had on me.They got up and running took off , i went to take off and my engine (completely diff outboard from the last time) stalled . Lost spark. I was passed my sheriffs dept which i tried to flag down,I drifted towards 192 slowly making sure to keep to one side of the canal out of courtesy. I was almost ran over by a damn tour boat ,he just waved .Eventually I got a hold of a friend who was able to tow me back in right in time before it started pouring. I honestly think that people anymore cant be bothered to slow down and ask if someone needs help or ok. When Im out with my dad and we are riding,fishing or hunting we pass any boat that is stopped and theres no poles out , we give them a thumbs up or down .Most of the time we get a wave or thumbs up . It sounds cheesy but courtesy like that is just good practice. My kin have been running the marsh since the late 50's I have grown up in that marsh .Still try to portray that there are a few of us good folk still around .

fl cracker
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by fl cracker »

Were they in a Carmotor?
" I have two guns...
One for each of you "

2017 Al David / stroked LS

Bruce
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Bruce »

Skeeter-Gee wrote:I have broken down twice , the first time with my son fairly close to the ramp in sweetwater canal . I was passed by 3 boats , all of which waved.I had the cowling off my engine and was trying to get it going. The second time I was running across hell n blazes , I saw 3 guys with there engine cover off. I ran to them asked them if they needed help shut mine down and lent them what tools I had on me.They got up and running took off , i went to take off and my engine (completely diff outboard from the last time) stalled . Lost spark. I was passed my sheriffs dept which i tried to flag down,I drifted towards 192 slowly making sure to keep to one side of the canal out of courtesy. I was almost ran over by a damn tour boat ,he just waved .Eventually I got a hold of a friend who was able to tow me back in right in time before it started pouring. I honestly think that people anymore cant be bothered to slow down and ask if someone needs help or ok. When Im out with my dad and we are riding,fishing or hunting we pass any boat that is stopped and theres no poles out , we give them a thumbs up or down .Most of the time we get a wave or thumbs up . It sounds cheesy but courtesy like that is just good practice. My kin have been running the marsh since the late 50's I have grown up in that marsh .Still try to portray that there are a few of us good folk still around .
that tour boat is supposed to stop for a distressed vessel could lose a license over that
12 foot Mamba "The Underdog"
Tired Gpu 520,Whirlwind Razor X

juice
Southern Airboat Member

Post by juice »

I don't care someone's broke down or not if you were just sitting out there with your motor not running I will always stop the matter what. there was one night it was like three or four in the morning. I was out frogging and I was going cross country to go to another frogging spot of mine and I end up finding a guy out in the middle of nowhere in tall Sawgrass and he was broke Down with a locked up motor! this guy was just about as shocked as I was when we seen each other and the guy said he been out there for hours and no one can find them. Talk about a lucky guy he was.. The old man try passing me the 50 dollar bill I told him no use it towards your motor and get back out here and ride

Return to “Aircraft Power Only”