Starter problem in cold weather

Aircraft powered airboat discussion.
CAPTAIN-D
Southern Airboat Member

Re: Starter problem in cold weather

Post by CAPTAIN-D »

Well here is what I've found out. It is not amp problem. Brought the boat to the starter shop and checked it on the boat. The starter drive gear engages the engine ring gear and the starter drive gear is slipping. It took another set of eyes to see that. Ordered new drive gear. And by the way this was a (new) reconditioned starter). Go figure.

Gary S
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Gary S »

Bet you slept better last night.

CAPTAIN-D
Southern Airboat Member

Post by CAPTAIN-D »

After everything I did and tried this is what the problem REALY was. When the starter bendix was engaged to turn the flywheel over the ring gear was slipping around the flywheel. In cold weather the flywheel was contracting and when you tried to start the engine the ring gear just slid around the flywheel. Once it warmed up the flywheel would expand against the ring gear and the engine would turn over and fire right up. I have a new flywheel and ring gear coming. Hope this help if any of you guys ever have this problem . Thanks Twister.

Whitebear
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Whitebear »

Thanks Capn.. This is important to remind us all to never assume anything is or isn't bad or good when troubleshooting. It also points to the tremendous value of a second set of eyes or hands. Nobody is exempt from hidden problems. Even cracker Jack mechanics sometimes will have something they have to walk away from for a bit then return with a new perspective.

Great follow up on a great thread. :thumbleft:
"The Constitution is not so the government can restrain the people, it is so the people can restrain the government." Patrick Henry
The government cannot give anything --
that they have not first taken from someone else.

loudmouse
Southern Airboat Member

Post by loudmouse »

Sounds like the solenoid is engaging the gear but the Bendix isn't spinning. Take the starter apart. Clean it and lightly grease the bushings/ bearings and make sure the brushes are free. Should fix it or replace the starter. I have even turned them down on a lathe where the brushes touch.
15' Alumitech deckover LSX TT Oxbox 84" JX 4-blade
Gas required Water optional :dontknow:
Built and Tuned by Me
14'X8' JW, Chevrolet 122CID LNF Turbo Engine, Ox box, 80" NGR 3 blade

Life is short, eat your dessert first! :downtown:

CAPTAIN-D
Southern Airboat Member

Post by CAPTAIN-D »

No it's not the starter. I put a mark on the flywheel and a mark on one of the ring gear tooth. I hit the starter button and the ring gear slid half way around the flywheel.

twister69z
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by twister69z »

CAPTAIN-D wrote:After everything I did and tried this is what the problem REALY was. When the starter bendix was engaged to turn the flywheel over the ring gear was slipping around the flywheel. In cold weather the flywheel was contracting and when you tried to start the engine the ring gear just slid around the flywheel. Once it warmed up the flywheel would expand against the ring gear and the engine would turn over and fire right up. I have a new flywheel and ring gear coming. Hope this help if any of you guys ever have this problem . Thanks Twister.
You are most welcome, always great to hear from you!
Twister69z
If you don't have time to do it right the first time ,
Where are you going to get the time to do it a second time?

Swamper3121
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Swamper3121 »

I would say the oil is so cold it causes the starter to work much harder. I would check the connections first but you may need to pre heat the engine before you start it. I personally would not airboat in these temps unless I had a heated cab on the boat but each to their own.

Good Luck!
EZ_360A.jpg
EZ_360A.jpg (39.73 KiB) Viewed 532 times
This product is available at Chief Aircraft for $149 Its called EZ Heat Engine Pre Heater. Works great just sticks to the oil pan and much cheaper than the air heaters they run $500+.

Return to “Aircraft Power Only”