lycoming 540 making unwanted noise

Aircraft powered airboat discussion.
Jharris313
Southern Airboat Member

lycoming 540 making unwanted noise

Postby Jharris313 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:08 am

I just had a cylinder changed because it dropped a valve seat and bent a push rod and damaged the piston. After changing the cylinder,piston, rings and push rods i have a noise while running,the motor runs good but it making a distinctive noise, I use to have mr. danny oliver to call to help me with these things, but he is no longer with us RIP Mr. Danny

can yall help me out, i posted a video of the boat running so you can hear the noise

http://youtu.be/R5KKADfMkhk
Last edited by Jharris313 on Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

GMAC 76
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Re: lycoming 540 making unwanted noice

Postby GMAC 76 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:50 am

did you change the lifter assembly and the rocker arm on the bent push rod??....were the valve clearances with in limits after you changed push rods???

Jharris313
Southern Airboat Member

Re: lycoming 540 making unwanted noice

Postby Jharris313 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:56 am

no, the lifter assembly and rockers are the same ones off the old cylinder.
as for the tolerance on the valve clearance im not positive, i sent the old push rods to a guy and he gave me some that were suppose to be the right size. you think its a rocker slapping the push rod? or maybe valve seat dropped?

GMAC 76
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Re: lycoming 540 making unwanted noise

Postby GMAC 76 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:21 am

just saying that when something happens in the valve train that it bends a pushrod that several other components in the valve train could be severely affected or damaged and if the valve clearance is way out of limits and say the rocker is bent and the lifter assembly is damaged it can make a lot of noise...as far as a dropped seat a simple compression check will tell that story...imo ya need to checkout ALL the components and clearances where the pushrod was bent and do a compression test

twister69z
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby twister69z » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:31 am

When you say it "dropped a valve seat" did the valve come apart in pieces? It is very important to check for FOD (foreign object damage ) in all the cylinders because pieces travel via the intake system.
Also important is the dry tappet clearances of .028 - .080 be Maintained . That is accomplished by select fitting longer and shorter push rods.
From your video it is hard to determine where the noise is, is it from the replaced cylinder? Or is it. From another cylinder with part of the valve stuck in the piston and hitting the head?
Twister69z
If you don't have time to do it right the first time ,
Where are you going to get the time to do it a second time?

Jharris313
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Jharris313 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:39 am

i took a hose and listened to the motor and the noise seems to be coming from the replaced cylinder. The valve seat did not break, it just came loose and the valve was hitting it. The replacement cylinder came with valves and springs in place, but i used everything else from the old cylinder. What should the compression run +/-. Any one know a place to find parts for this motor? since mr. danny died, i dont know anyone that works on them or can get replacement parts for me.

gchuckie
Southern Airboat Member

Postby gchuckie » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:59 am

Jharris313 wrote:i took a hose and listened to the motor and the noise seems to be coming from the replaced cylinder. The valve seat did not break, it just came loose and the valve was hitting it. The replacement cylinder came with valves and springs in place, but i used everything else from the old cylinder. What should the compression run +/-. Any one know a place to find parts for this motor? since mr. danny died, i dont know anyone that works on them or can get replacement parts for me.

Jd in Melbourne works on them and has parts!

mwood7800
Southern Airboat Member

Postby mwood7800 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:03 pm

You can't put on a new cylinder and use the same length pushrods. You have to pull out the lifter, collapse it then check the clearance on tdc. I would check that first.

Bruce
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby Bruce » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:26 pm

sounds almost like piston slap could be a worn cylinder but you definatly need to check the valve train make sure your clearances arent too loose and if you need good parts call stanley airboats orlando fl theyll have everything you need 4079279701
12 foot Mamba "The Underdog"
Tired Gpu 520,Whirlwind Razor X

jb96
Southern Airboat Member

Postby jb96 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:00 pm

My dad replaced a cylinder on his 540 and it made a whistling noise . Not sure if thats your noise but if it is it was the little collar that holds the intake tube to the cylinder. I had a little pin hole that couldnt be seen from the outside. We replaced that and tge motor is back to running like normal.

jb96
Southern Airboat Member

Postby jb96 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:01 pm

My dad replaced a cylinder on his 540 and it made a whistling noise . Not sure if thats your noise but if it is it was the little collar that holds the intake tube to the cylinder. I had a little pin hole that couldnt be seen from the outside. We replaced that and tge motor is back to running like normal.

jb96
Southern Airboat Member

Postby jb96 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:03 pm

schmidtav2
Site Supporter - VII
Site Supporter - VII

Postby schmidtav2 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:50 pm

You need to remove the rocker arms, push rods, push rod tubes and lifter plungers to bleed the oil out of the plungers and reassembled them to check the rocker to valve clearance, the limits are .028-.080, this clearance is obtained by different length push rods, if it is too big, you will have rocker noise in the cylinder and eventually damage something (rocker arms, valve, cam lobe etc)

Outlawaircraftengines
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby Outlawaircraftengines » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:30 pm

You can use adjustable pushrods to correct the valve train issue. I have them in stock. Also check the piston wrist pin caps. They are prone to wearing and making a noise.
Gary Barber
Outlaw Aircraft Engines
www.outlawaircraftengines.com
863-698-0383

Southern Style
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby Southern Style » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:47 pm

A lot of answers with suggestions being all over the state.. Might wanna put where you are located under ur screen name.. Folks might better point you in the right direction if they know you are... Brevard County, Polk County, Everglades, Miami, Jacksonville.. Sounds like the tapping might be part of the same valve train you replaced.. As said, check ALL of the parts for damage and clearance.. Good luck, post up if that fixes it.. This is where everyone learns, is from the forum questions and responses and what worked.. Good luck..
DONT ARGUE WITH STUPIDITY...THEY WILL JUST DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL, AND BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.....
KRVSA Member
SJRAA Member
KCCO

Jharris313
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Jharris313 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:26 pm

Found the problem. Actually a couple problems. One was obvious when I removed the valve cover , the exhaust valve was missing the cap, also the intake and exhaust rockers were miss matched and the intake lifter was not working. When I replaced the cap on the exhaust valve the clearance was too tight. I called Jb airboats and he told me a easy way to adjust the push rod length. Thanks for the help from everyone and mr jerry in cocoa, FL. The boat still makes a little noise but I think they all do right? I'm from south east Louisiana, there aren't many if any aircraft airboat mechanics or shops. Florida seems to be my only option. Thanks again for all the help.

billybob
Southern Airboat Member

Postby billybob » Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:26 pm

Jharris313 wrote:Found the problem. Actually a couple problems. One was obvious when I removed the valve cover , the exhaust valve was missing the cap, also the intake and exhaust rockers were miss matched and the intake lifter was not working. When I replaced the cap on the exhaust valve the clearance was too tight. I called Jb airboats and he told me a easy way to adjust the push rod length. Thanks for the help from everyone and mr jerry in cocoa, FL. The boat still makes a little noise but I think they all do right? I'm from south east Louisiana, there aren't many if any aircraft airboat mechanics or shops. Florida seems to be my only option. Thanks again for all the help.

How did you determine the intake lifter was not working?
I do all my own stunts!!!!!!

Jharris313
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Jharris313 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:40 pm

Took the lifter out and cleaned it and pushed the spring in and put the small in to my tongue and it didnt pull a vacuum.

twister69z
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby twister69z » Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:49 pm

How did you shorten the pushrod? I need to learn that trick.
Twister69z

Southern Style
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby Southern Style » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:05 pm

Awsome.. Glad ur back on the water..
DONT ARGUE WITH STUPIDITY...THEY WILL JUST DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL, AND BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.....
KRVSA Member
SJRAA Member
KCCO

twister69z
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby twister69z » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:18 pm

Southern Style wrote:A lot of answers with suggestions being all over the state.. Might wanna put where you are located under ur screen name.. Folks might better point you in the right direction if they know you are... Brevard County, Polk County, Everglades, Miami, Jacksonville.. Sounds like the tapping might be part of the same valve train you replaced.. As said, check ALL of the parts for damage and clearance.. Good luck, post up if that fixes it.. This is where everyone learns, is from the forum questions and responses and what worked.. Good luck..

X2

akholland
Southern Airboat Member

Postby akholland » Thu May 22, 2014 3:17 pm

How did you reduce the length of the pushrod? How much are the adjustable rods you speak of? Whats the phone number to the guy that sells them? I have a lycoming 540 on my Maule and after replacing a cylinder, I noticed that ALL my exhaust valves are WAY WAy over the spec of MAx .080 My cam looked good (visual inspection) when I had the cylinders off to inspect it but maybe its worn... 1400 TTSN 1979 My cam had little tiny corrosion spots that you could barely see on the lobes from sitting for a few years. Im hoping for a few hundred hours from her.
andy

gyrocopter582
Southern Airboat Member
Location: 3/4 mile due east of the north tip of Lake Washington, Melbourne Florida.

Postby gyrocopter582 » Thu May 22, 2014 7:50 pm

Ooh, I like the Maule.
Andy, don't forget the cam follower is "sacrificial", so an accurate inspection of the follower
is critical in the diagnosis.
"Amaze your friends, annoy your neighbors"

Outlawaircraftengines
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby Outlawaircraftengines » Thu May 22, 2014 9:20 pm

I have the pushrods in stock. Give me a shout.
Gary Barber
Outlaw Aircraft Engines
www.outlawaircraftengines.com
863-698-0383

sseater
Southern Airboat Member

Postby sseater » Fri May 23, 2014 9:24 am

Outlawaircraftengines wrote:I have the pushrods in stock. Give me a shout.

cant go wrong with gary, take your boat over to him and he will get you set up

Return to “Aircraft Power Only”