520 conversion

Aircraft powered airboat discussion.
ls1airboat
Southern Airboat Member

520 conversion

Post by ls1airboat »

i just bought a airboat with a E-185 with a 520 conversion...im new to the aircraft world ,i had been running car motors till now..and i am running av gas and aero shell oil..and tips yall can tell me to watch out for.i just want to make it last awhile...thank you for your input.
Attachments
airboat.jpg

Southern Style
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Re: 520 conversion

Post by Southern Style »

Like your other thread, definitely get an oil temp gauge and watch it.. You can also get a CHT (Cylinder Head Temp) gauge and have it monitor your middle cylinders. These 2 cylinders are sandwiched between 2 other hot cylinders. The front and back at least get one side of fresh air to help cool it. The center jugs will run hotter than the end ones.. They make a BAD ARSE single gauge that has 2 needles. One on the left side of the gauge and one on the right. Both of these needles give a reading of BOTH of your center cylinders. I wanted on so bad, but had already built my console and was on the river. Would have to completely re-wire my console to add one. No room on my console, but they are super nice. A glance gives you all the info you need. If it sits for a long time, don't turn your mags on before starting. Keep them off and try starting the boat. The motor will just spin. This helps pump oil to everything and prevents a dry start.. This can help also.. Others will chime in with lil helpful hunts.. Congratz again, you will enjoy the ride. If you get hung up, you can easily by yourself spin the nose.. Much lighter that car motor..
DONT ARGUE WITH STUPIDITY...THEY WILL JUST DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL, AND BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.....
KRVSA Member
SJRAA Member
KCCO

Bruce
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Bruce »

You beat me to it i see nice boat good price excellent motors
12 foot Mamba "The Underdog"
Tired Gpu 520,Whirlwind Razor X

ls1airboat
Southern Airboat Member

Post by ls1airboat »

where do i get that duel gauge? and where does the senders go in the heads ?..now it just has one temp sender in the front of the engine. the engine is running really rich on fuel.it has a carmotor electric fuel pump.it blows really bad black smoke if i turn the fuel pump off it clears up and runs alot better for about 15 seconds then i have to turn the fuel pump back on..i just ordered a holley fuel regulator and a fuel gauge..what should the fuel pressure be ?. and the plugs are solid black..buying new plugs today. thank you my blow boat brothers.

Barry830
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Barry830 »

Daddy Dave
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Daddy Dave »

The fuel pump you currently have sounds like it's a "vane" pump. Meaning it has to either run or have the vanes open to allow AvGas to your engine. Usually a PIA.

A standard Delco transfer pump that usually mounts in the frame rail of GM trucks is a GREAT electric fuel pump for airboats and it doesn't have to run all the time. It's a pass through syle, not a vane style. Find out the suggested fuel pressure from an A & P mechanic or from your engine's builder. There are different pressure ratings for Delco transfer pumps.

NipponDenso plugs are my favorite for my AC - is your engine carbed or FI?? Sounds like you need a knowledgeable tune-up. Good Luck!
A I R B O A T

Anytime It Runs, Break Out Another Thousand

Bruce
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Bruce »

you dont need a cht gauge i wouldnt run one personally on that motor the continental has big cooling fins and the ehads stay real cool unlike a lycoming what i would do if i were you as far as it running rich is i would get a fuel psi gauge in line and see what you have first these carbs dont need that much psi 3-5 tops then id go from there

ls1airboat
Southern Airboat Member

Post by ls1airboat »

the fuel pump kinda looks like a carter fuel pump..it says not for aircraft use right on it ...ill have the fuel pressure gauge by the weekend so ill check and see what the pressure is ..its so rich when i turn the pump off it takes atleast 60 seconds before it starts to idle smooth and stops smoking..with pump on it sounds like a race car cam lol..chugs black smoke..it runs great at wot and half..temp was 126 to 130 after running a hour. :rebel:

Southern Style
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Southern Style »

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus/in/ ... o1000.html

As Bruce posted.. Here is the page.. See the gauge that has a needle on the left AND the right side.. That's for both sides of the center cylinders.. Great info when riding !!!!!!!!!!!!!
DONT ARGUE WITH STUPIDITY...THEY WILL JUST DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL, AND BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.....
KRVSA Member
SJRAA Member
KCCO

ls1airboat
Southern Airboat Member

Post by ls1airboat »

i ran it sunday for about 5 hrs..i put a gauge on it and it was at 12 to 15 lbs fuel pressure..i put a regulator on it and set it for 5 to 6 lbs..it ran alot better than it was...not blowing black smoke anymore...atleast now it idles at 500 rpm.. still wish i would have got a carmotor boat lol...thanks for all your help.

Bruce
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Bruce »

ls1airboat wrote:i ran it sunday for about 5 hrs..i put a gauge on it and it was at 12 to 15 lbs fuel pressure..i put a regulator on it and set it for 5 to 6 lbs..it ran alot better than it was...not blowing black smoke anymore...atleast now it idles at 500 rpm.. still wish i would have got a carmotor boat lol...thanks for all your help.
holy smokes 12 to 15 is the pump black?

ls1airboat
Southern Airboat Member

Post by ls1airboat »

its a silver pump with 2 wire pigtails on the bottom...im thinking about having it set up for a car motor..im to lost with this aircraft engine..i know car engines..them little ticks and oil leaks are driving me crazy lol....i was running ground with 3 people with no problem..it went anywhere i wanted.

mojoe
Southern Airboat Member

Post by mojoe »

ls1airboat wrote:its a silver pump with 2 wire pigtails on the bottom...im thinking about having it set up for a car motor..im to lost with this aircraft engine..i know car engines..them little ticks and oil leaks are driving me crazy lol....i was running ground with 3 people with no problem..it went anywhere i wanted.
Sounds like you have a good boat/motor/rigging in need of a little tweaking. Setting it up for car motor is likely a bad idea. It usually entails starting from scratch. Way more work and money. If you really want a car motor it is usually best to sell the one you have and start over. But if you get that 520 set right it likely won't need much messing with after that.
Mark 7:9

glades cat
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by glades cat »

Looks like your got a great boat there.
Change the oil regularly, every 25 hrs. Have it tuned and timed correctly. Run AV gas. Let it cool down for a minute after running hard.
They were made when America built stuff that lasted. :proud: You may find it will outlast most automotive engines.
"Leave a legacy...Preserve the irreplaceable"
12' x 7' sled built by Scorpion, Cont. O-470-K, 72" Whisper Tip
Rigged by Gladescat & sons in 2009

Return to “Aircraft Power Only”