longevity? on super charge Gear Nosed 480 family ride boat

Aircraft powered airboat discussion.
444kyle
Southern Airboat Member

longevity? on super charge Gear Nosed 480 family ride boat

Post by 444kyle » Thu May 15, 2014 9:44 am

I am wondering what the longevity would be on a super charge gear nosed 480 would be for a easy driven family ride boat. I would be running it pretty easy and would have 2 adults and two kids with the usual family gear.
14ft JB Hull,Lycoming GSO480,10 blade warp drive

scottyroll
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Re: longevity? on super charge Gear Nosed 480 family ride bo

Post by scottyroll » Thu May 15, 2014 10:36 am

Are you looking at the one in the classifieds? Aircraft engines have great longevity assuming they are in decent shape to begin with. But a lot of the ones you see are either recently rebuilt or need work done to them. The GSO will suck some fuel hauling around your family around but will get the job done.
:Scotty-Roll:
FLAwless

1999 14ft Alumitech deckover. ZZ502. 2.37 Stinger. 4 blade WW Falcon Prop

Ricky Bobby
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Ricky Bobby » Thu May 15, 2014 11:11 am

That is probably the "best family boat ever" as long as your family likes to haul a$$ !! They never break , hardly suck any fuel, and really make for a nice peaceful ride ! lol
"Criminal Mischief " 13-7'6 hamant gso 480 ,contenental injection , 78" 9 blade Razor X, water-methanol injection

Bruce
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Bruce » Thu May 15, 2014 12:02 pm

Ricky Bobby wrote:That is probably the "best family boat ever" as long as your family likes to haul a$$ !! They never break , hardly suck any fuel, and really make for a nice peaceful ride ! lol
^ HAAAA!!! This guy
12 foot Mamba "The Underdog"
Tired Gpu 520,Whirlwind Razor X

Quick Draw
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by Quick Draw » Thu May 15, 2014 12:14 pm

444kyle wrote:I am wondering what the longevity would be on a super charge gear nosed 480 would be for a easy driven family ride boat. I would be running it pretty easy and would have 2 adults and two kids with the usual family gear.
I would PM "FarmBoy" if I where you. He's had to 2 480 boats.

HAMMERHEAD
Southern Airboat Member

Post by HAMMERHEAD » Thu May 15, 2014 12:54 pm

If I didn't already own it I would look for something different for a family boat. Jmo

In the Glades
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by In the Glades » Thu May 15, 2014 1:23 pm

I'd look for a different option.
BCAHCC Member

farmboy
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by farmboy » Thu May 15, 2014 1:33 pm

In the Glades wrote:I'd look for a different option.
What's bad about um?
14ft JB Hull,Lycoming GSO480 w/water-meth injection,Sensenich 3-blade "R",ButtRaxx seats,B&S Trailer.

Member of Glades Airboat & Buggy Association / Kissimmee River Valley Sportsman Association

Ricky Bobby
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Ricky Bobby » Thu May 15, 2014 1:55 pm

Maybe you should build a "ECO-TECH" they run on hopes and dreams and ferry dust a lot cheaper !!!Even better with a "NGQ" prop LOL
"Criminal Mischief " 13-7'6 hamant gso 480 ,contenental injection , 78" 9 blade Razor X, water-methanol injection

JugHead
Southern Airboat Member

Post by JugHead » Thu May 15, 2014 2:12 pm

I know guy that knows a guy that has one and man all I can say is WOW! I don't know if they make a better family boat or hell a better anything boat and I'm a car motor guy myself.
15' Diamondback w/ 427 SBC - 82in 9 blade Razor X

FLA BOY
Southern Airboat Member

Post by FLA BOY » Thu May 15, 2014 3:49 pm

farmboy wrote:
In the Glades wrote:I'd look for a different option.
What's bad about um?
x2 If set up right you won't have to worry about getting stuck.
GSO480/12' Hammant
GPU/12' Richochet

:)
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by :) » Thu May 15, 2014 4:06 pm

Longevity is good, gas will suck
14 ft Combee. 4 seater, BPE 383 sb chevy, 2.09 stinger, 3 blade ww stump puller.
"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." Thomas Jefferson

BUSHHOG85
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by BUSHHOG85 » Thu May 15, 2014 5:34 pm

Ricky Bobby wrote:Maybe you should build a "ECO-TECH" they run on hopes and dreams and ferry dust a lot cheaper !!!Even better with a "NGQ" prop LOL
:lol: :lol:
SC 480 13x7'6 HAMANT
520 13' RICOCHET

farmboy
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by farmboy » Thu May 15, 2014 8:04 pm

444kyle wrote:I am wondering what the longevity would be on a super charge gear nosed 480 would be for a easy driven family ride boat. I would be running it pretty easy and would have 2 adults and two kids with the usual family gear.
I've owned 2 Gso's and have never had any issues with them. If setup properly I don't see why they shouldn't last as long as any other A/C motor if taken care of. The biggest problem I've seen is people running them lean with a crapy fuel system and burning cylinders up with high head temps. As far as the fuel burn that everyone talks about if you stay in the boost yes it will burn it up but if you ride normal there not bad at all. Normally I don't burn anymore than the 540 boats that I ride with. There's been a few trips I've burnt less...BUT if we where to run dry all day then it would be a different story... If you get one and need any help with it let me know.
14ft JB Hull,Lycoming GSO480 w/water-meth injection,Sensenich 3-blade "R",ButtRaxx seats,B&S Trailer.

Member of Glades Airboat & Buggy Association / Kissimmee River Valley Sportsman Association

444kyle
Southern Airboat Member

Post by 444kyle » Fri May 16, 2014 9:10 am

farmboy wrote:
I've owned 2 Gso's and have never had any issues with them. If setup properly I don't see why they shouldn't last as long as any other A/C motor if taken care of. The biggest problem I've seen is people running them lean with a crapy fuel system and burning cylinders up with high head temps. As far as the fuel burn that everyone talks about if you stay in the boost yes it will burn it up but if you ride normal there not bad at all. Normally I don't burn anymore than the 540 boats that I ride with. There's been a few trips I've burnt less...BUT if we where to run dry all day then it would be a different story... If you get one and need any help with it let me know.
bought it last night. I think ricky even talked to you about it, its loading up pretty good so I am going to get it dialed in. thanks
14ft JB Hull,Lycoming GSO480,10 blade warp drive

farmboy
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by farmboy » Fri May 16, 2014 10:18 am

Yea I talked to Rickey about it. You need to see what jets are in the carb and it and probably wouldnt hurt to get a air/fuel ratio gauge to fine tune it.

southernrican
Southern Airboat Member

Post by southernrican » Fri May 16, 2014 6:01 pm

farmboy wrote:Yea I talked to Rickey about it. You need to see what jets are in the carb and it and probably wouldnt hurt to get a air/fuel ratio gauge to fine tune it.

Yup them air fuel ratio gauges are the way of the future lol.
11'7" freedom craft step hull
Lycoming geared supercharged GSO 480
10 blade saber running 14 degrees.[/color]

Bruce
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Bruce » Fri May 16, 2014 7:20 pm

farmboy wrote:

Throttle jockeying kills em quick too
12 foot Mamba "The Underdog"
Tired Gpu 520,Whirlwind Razor X

BAD ADDICTION
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by BAD ADDICTION » Mon May 19, 2014 8:02 am

Huh my old one must have been special cusse I drove it like a small block. With no issues for two years. There good motors just got to be set up right like farm boy said.
WE NEED IT WE BUILD IT!!!
Geared supercharged 0480 on 13 Hamant swinging 78" r blades. !!!

Airman
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Airman » Mon May 19, 2014 8:13 am

I have two gso 480 powered boats. I have had no problems that were not do to set up and driver error. The set up is everything!
gso 480 on a JB 13' hull
I thank God every day for a throat big enough to swallow my pride.

Fookz92
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Fookz92 » Mon May 19, 2014 12:43 pm

Fuel burn is a B$$$$. But such a powerhouse! Hearing the supercharger whistle behind you will get you addicted. Farmboy has shared a lot of knowedge with me about the motors. Make sure it has a good prop too. I got stuck a with a 10 bld warp drive on mine and am finding myself saving up for a sensenich prop to try and get more. Watch the CHT's. Get a heat extractor for the engine. They help a ton. Good luck
15x8 diamondback, GSO 480, 79" 10 blade warp drive

farmboy
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by farmboy » Mon May 19, 2014 1:48 pm

Fookz92 wrote:Fuel burn is a B$$$$. But such a powerhouse! Hearing the supercharger whistle behind you will get you addicted. Farmboy has shared a lot of knowedge with me about the motors. Make sure it has a good prop too. I got stuck a with a 10 bld warp drive on mine and am finding myself saving up for a sensenich prop to try and get more. Watch the CHT's. Get a heat extractor for the engine. They help a ton. Good luck
If your GSO was on a average size & weight ride boat it wouldn't be that bad... I would be willing to bet with a boat the size of yours you would burn atleast 16-18 gallons per hour crusing (just because your probably staying in the secondaries) vs a boat that weighs half as much burning 7-9 gallons per hour. Fookz, I forgot to get back with you when u texted me the other day when u was asking me my CHT. It says around 335-365 with no shroud. Sorry about getting back with u so late.

Fookz92
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Fookz92 » Mon May 19, 2014 4:34 pm

farmboy wrote:
Fookz92 wrote:Fuel burn is a B$$$$. But such a powerhouse! Hearing the supercharger whistle behind you will get you addicted. Farmboy has shared a lot of knowedge with me about the motors. Make sure it has a good prop too. I got stuck a with a 10 bld warp drive on mine and am finding myself saving up for a sensenich prop to try and get more. Watch the CHT's. Get a heat extractor for the engine. They help a ton. Good luck
If your GSO was on a average size & weight ride boat it wouldn't be that bad... I would be willing to bet with a boat the size of yours you would burn atleast 16-18 gallons per hour crusing (just because your probably staying in the secondaries) vs a boat that weighs half as much burning 7-9 gallons per hour. Fookz, I forgot to get back with you when u texted me the other day when u was asking me my CHT. It says around 335-365 with no shroud. Sorry about getting back with u so late.
It's all good brotha :)
15x8 diamondback, GSO 480, 79" 10 blade warp drive

Return to “Aircraft Power Only”