How can I liven up my 220 GPU?

Aircraft powered airboat discussion.
Diamondjphotography
Southern Airboat Member

How can I liven up my 220 GPU?

Post by Diamondjphotography »

How can I liven up my single mag 220 gpu without $5000 conversion? I'm running a 3 blade 68" whirlwind, 500 2 barrel Holley.

speed wheelie
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Re: How can I liven up my 220 GPU?

Post by speed wheelie »

A set of 0470R aircraft pistons...
You got to be yourself
863-956-3030 shop and cell

floridabou3
Southern Airboat Member

Post by floridabou3 »

speed wheelie wrote:A set of 0470R aircraft pistons...

i got 470 pistons in mine but 220 jugs i have them drilled out for another spark plug and have dual mags but im being told that my jugs will not hold up to them 470 dome pistons ? i also just burnt a hole in my #1 piston but i think i was running alittle lean... not sure what i need to do about the if i need another jet or adjust the timming.
13.6 big o 220 2 blade Q series 15 over dome pistons with dual mags and plugs

scottyroll
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by scottyroll »

50shot of NO2 would be your best bang for the buck IMO. Set prop to cruise low and use the fun switch to punch out when you want too. Simple, cost effective, reliable and FUN! Or put the money towards a true aircraft engine
:Scotty-Roll:
FLAwless

1999 14ft Alumitech deckover. ZZ502. 2.37 Stinger. 4 blade WW Falcon Prop

CJB0470
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by CJB0470 »

Leave it alone just keep it stock and enjoy it for what it is. I've had mine for 12 years now replaced a couple cylinders on it has a 500 Holley stock pistons single mag whirlwind stump puller, it's a good reliable engine but it'll never be a race engine. I run Aero shell oil in it and avgas exclusively and it makes a huge difference in how the engine performs. I had a buddy of mine that replaced the pistons went with 470 aircraft Pistons it ran hot, then he put a 520 conversion on it and broke the crank change props around did all kinds of crazy stuff to his. It was an unreliable pain in the butt!!! Keep it stock and only race other stock GPUs its still fun! 8) :florida:
"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astonish the rest"
-Mark Twain

Bruce
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Bruce »

CJB0470 wrote:Leave it alone just keep it stock and enjoy it for what it is. I've had mine for 12 years now replaced a couple cylinders on it has a 500 Holley stock pistons single mag whirlwind stump puller, it's a good reliable engine but it'll never be a race engine. I run Aero shell oil in it and avgas exclusively and it makes a huge difference in how the engine performs. I had a buddy of mine that replaced the pistons went with 470 aircraft Pistons it ran hot, then he put a 520 conversion on it and broke the crank change props around did all kinds of crazy stuff to his. It was an unreliable pain in the butt!!! Keep it stock and only race other stock GPUs its still fun! 8) :florida:
the 470 or 520 conversion is where its at other than that id leave it stock
12 foot Mamba "The Underdog"
Tired Gpu 520,Whirlwind Razor X

riverrat1
Southern Airboat Member

Post by riverrat1 »

I had one for well over 10 years on a 15ft river master it would run ground almost any where I wanted it to , had a whirlwind 72" prop 500 holly . It was the best all around boat , like the one guy said put a shot of NOS on it like 50 or 75 . Or just pay for a 540 or 520 and have around 300 hp . or find some good 470 jugs piston and have someone put the extra mag in and get around 260 hp .

jopete
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by jopete »

I am no expert on gpu's, but i have run mine hard for over a year now. When it was new to me, i was worried about noises, compression, leakdown, propshaft play, and everything else. I have asked a ton of questions about gpu's on here and have gotten great answers as well as used the search feature and found out all kinds of info.
that being said, i just keep all the bolts/nuts tight, keep her full of fresh aeroshell, run the cheap 87 pump gas, and enjoy the boat.
instead of moding the motor, you will probly have the most bang for the buck by tuning your hull to work with what u have.
things like putting a jack in the hull, taking unnecessary windblocks out of the cage, keepin the air filter and prop clean and routing your breather hoses so u keep the oil inside the engine all add up to a better running machine.
if your boat is marginal for a 220, then u might want to get a better boat/engine combo.

when my gpu blows up, i'm gonna go find another stock one and run it like i hate it. lol to me it's a great engine.

terrible ted
Southern Airboat Member

Post by terrible ted »

you want to liven up your 220 boat- what can you remove to make the boat lighter.

Outlawaircraftengines
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Outlawaircraftengines »

ive got new and used dome pistons that will make it run.
Gary Barber
Outlaw Aircraft Engines
www.outlawaircraftengines.com
863-698-0383

Stewie
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by Stewie »

Im with bruce 470 or 520 conversion!! Or just put a Lycoming decal on the engine and that should tune her up!! :thumbleft: :old_glory: :rebel: :florida:

gso480jr
Southern Airboat Member

Post by gso480jr »

Gary is right, pop up pistons, split plane high rise intake with 650cfm Holley 4 barrel carb. That GPU will be a monster. Check out my pics for intake on the little raceboat.

Bruce
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Bruce »

gso480jr wrote:Gary is right, pop up pistons, split plane high rise intake with 650cfm Holley 4 barrel carb. That GPU will be a monster. Check out my pics for intake on the little raceboat.

Where is that gpu when theres a clean up?
12 foot Mamba "The Underdog"
Tired Gpu 520,Whirlwind Razor X

John Fenner
Southern Airboat Member

Post by John Fenner »

Put a set of 535133 pistons in it and new rings, have it drilled for dual plugs add the extra mag. Put a 500 Holley on a properly modified intake plenum.
I never finish anyth,,,.

speed wheelie
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by speed wheelie »

floridabou3 wrote:

i got 470 pistons in mine but 220 jugs i have them drilled out for another spark plug and have dual mags but im being told that my jugs will not hold up to them 470 dome pistons ? i also just burnt a hole in my #1 piston but i think i was running alittle lean... not sure what i need to do about the if i need another jet or adjust the timming.

You need to use the low comp pistons or you will have problems....The 0470R is 7.5.1
You got to be yourself
863-956-3030 shop and cell

floridabou3
Southern Airboat Member

Post by floridabou3 »

speed wheelie wrote:
floridabou3 wrote:

You need to use the low comp pistons or you will have problems....The 0470R is 7.5.1
so i need to use the 470r pistons ?
13.6 big o 220 2 blade Q series 15 over dome pistons with dual mags and plugs

Return to “Aircraft Power Only”