I BURNT 16 GALS ON SAME RUN WITH MY 540

farmboy
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Re: Gso480 fuel burn

Post by farmboy »

444kyle wrote:
farmboy wrote:
radialman66 wrote:About the same as a carbureted 540. Bigger motor doesn't always mean poor fuel mileage. It also means that the motor doesnt have to work as hard.
Setup is everything! I've seen some 480 boats that are better off left sitting in the shed... Lol! I've rode Kissimmee before and burnt less than the 540 boats that was with us. But I will say this if we was to ride wide open every where we went then it would be a different story... But if your setup is right and you can keep your foot out of it they can be good...
setup is everything. and my setup is not the one to have. im averaging about 16gph. Fitting the comment of better off left in the shed to a T.
Sorry about not getting with you yet Kevin but have had other issue's on the boat I am trying to get worked out first then I will try to get this thing right.
If your burning that much something sure isn't right you will never be able to enjoy a boat that's that bad on fuel. Your boat is just like mine except with no poly so it's possible to get it better on fuel than mine you just need some major tuning. Mine averages 7-8 gallons per hour running deep water and running dry here and there. Running that skinny water in that marsh sure helps cut the fuel burn down. When your ready call me between my buddy Eric & I we will get you right :thumbleft:
14ft JB Hull,Lycoming GSO480 w/water-meth injection,Sensenich 3-blade "R",ButtRaxx seats,B&S Trailer.

Member of Glades Airboat & Buggy Association / Kissimmee River Valley Sportsman Association

444kyle
Southern Airboat Member

Post by 444kyle »

Will do.
Yeh having to buy another starter for it. The one on the boat when I got it broke the hosing like the second time out because of the way they had it shimmed on the bracket. So put another high torq gm starter and re did the bracket . but went cheap on the starter (like a idiot) and it went two weeks after install. So took it apart and the insides were rusted out from two rain storms. So sanded the hole system down and sealed it well and it lasted two more rides and crapped out again this weekend. So trying to get the money to buy a good starter that will last. Just broke after putting all my extra cash into fuel for Kissimmee two weeks ago.(which was a lot)
14ft JB Hull,Lycoming GSO480,10 blade warp drive

captrndy
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by captrndy »

How are these motors without the gearbox? Obviously they don't spin as big a prop. Are the worth having without the box? I saw a nice boat without the box for sale.

farmboy
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by farmboy »

captrndy wrote:How are these motors without the gearbox? Obviously they don't spin as big a prop. Are the worth having without the box? I saw a nice boat without the box for sale.
Me personally I wouldn't even think about owning one without the box.... I would do without the changer if anything... To me the box makes the motor! Just my opinion.
14ft JB Hull,Lycoming GSO480 w/water-meth injection,Sensenich 3-blade "R",ButtRaxx seats,B&S Trailer.

Member of Glades Airboat & Buggy Association / Kissimmee River Valley Sportsman Association

farmboy
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by farmboy »

444kyle wrote:Will do.
Yeh having to buy another starter for it. The one on the boat when I got it broke the hosing like the second time out because of the way they had it shimmed on the bracket. So put another high torq gm starter and re did the bracket . but went cheap on the starter (like a idiot) and it went two weeks after install. So took it apart and the insides were rusted out from two rain storms. So sanded the hole system down and sealed it well and it lasted two more rides and crapped out again this weekend. So trying to get the money to buy a good starter that will last. Just broke after putting all my extra cash into fuel for Kissimmee two weeks ago.(which was a lot)
Kyle if you want a real good starter that will last call Abner at Keeners. He sells a very good sealed up starter. Made for airboats! I had one on last 480 boat and this one I have now and both worked damn good with no problems at all. (561)686-6134 Keeners.

TIGO541
Southern Airboat Member

Post by TIGO541 »

444kyle wrote:
farmboy wrote:
radialman66 wrote:About the same as a carbureted 540. Bigger motor doesn't always mean poor fuel mileage. It also means that the motor doesnt have to work as hard.
Setup is everything! I've seen some 480 boats that are better off left sitting in the shed... Lol! I've rode Kissimmee before and burnt less than the 540 boats that was with us. But I will say this if we was to ride wide open every where we went then it would be a different story... But if your setup is right and you can keep your foot out of it they can be good...
setup is everything. and my setup is not the one to have. im averaging about 16gph. Fitting the comment of better off left in the shed to a T.
Sorry about not getting with you yet Kevin but have had other issue's on the boat I am trying to get worked out first then I will try to get this thing right.
Holy crap man! At that fuel consumption you either run wide open everywhere you go or you are probably gonna wash a cylinder soon!!! Contact me and I will fix that problem for you
13-6x7-6 Hamant Ultra-lite,Custom TIG Stainless rigging,1.7 Rotator,Supercharged 480,Electronic Ignition,80 inch 3BLD R,B&S trailer

kwanjangnihm
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by kwanjangnihm »

Notes from my last 15 trips to the river: AV O-540

GPH fuel burn.

6.92 Avg

Took it to Jr's for new plugs, wires, timimg & adjust carb.

5.54 Avg
He'll cut your throat, baby, stick you in the back, drive off in your Cadillac.
He's more trouble than you think, he'll kill your sugar, leave you in the drink.

Ricky Bobby
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Ricky Bobby »

Kyle answer to your fuel problems 1,jets are to big in the carb can tell by the coal in the pipes like a diesel ! 2, only turning that motor 2900 wot isn't helping cause it has to work its butt off a guzzle fuel , plus those motors love RPM'S and make a lot more power ! 3 , the missing spots of quick slick and bare hull really killing it ! After all that actually bolt down your jacks and tweak that hull where its riding free and boom ,I bet most you fuel problems are fixed!!!!
"Criminal Mischief " 13-7'6 hamant gso 480 ,contenental injection , 78" 9 blade Razor X, water-methanol injection

farmboy
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by farmboy »

Ricky Bobby wrote:Kyle answer to your fuel problems 1,jets are to big in the carb can tell by the coal in the pipes like a diesel ! 2, only turning that motor 2900 wot isn't helping cause it has to work its butt off a guzzle fuel , plus those motors love RPM'S and make a lot more power ! 3 , the missing spots of quick slick and bare hull really killing it ! After all that actually bolt down your jacks and tweak that hull where its riding free and boom ,I bet most you fuel problems are fixed!!!!
Ricky you just said a mouth full brother :lol: very true :thumbleft:

farmboy
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by farmboy »

kwanjangnihm wrote:Notes from my last 15 trips to the river: AV O-540

GPH fuel burn.

6.92 Avg

Took it to Jr's for new plugs, wires, timimg & adjust carb.

5.54 Avg
It's amazing what a few adjustments can do!

Ricky Bobby
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Ricky Bobby »

:dontknow: :lol:
"Criminal Mischief " 13-7'6 hamant gso 480 ,contenental injection , 78" 9 blade Razor X, water-methanol injection

444kyle
Southern Airboat Member

Post by 444kyle »

Ricky Bobby wrote:Kyle answer to your fuel problems 1,jets are to big in the carb can tell by the coal in the pipes like a diesel ! 2, only turning that motor 2900 wot isn't helping cause it has to work its butt off a guzzle fuel , plus those motors love RPM'S and make a lot more power ! 3 , the missing spots of quick slick and bare hull really killing it ! After all that actually bolt down your jacks and tweak that hull where its riding free and boom ,I bet most you fuel problems are fixed!!!!
1. jets and carb will be corrected as soon as I can get a starter on it that can make a weekend.
2. RPM'S have been corrected with 2 degrees less pitch, But have not been checked yet should be about 3500 now
3. trying to get the money together for new bottom but brad keeps stealing my scrap metal that im stock pilling to cash in.
4. The jacks will be the last thing I play with since it rides so free already. But will try pulling the middle up to see if it helps later.

farmboy
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by farmboy »

Kyle do you have a fuel psi gauge? If so what psi are u running?

444kyle
Southern Airboat Member

Post by 444kyle »

No. it does have pressure regulator but no gage so im not sure what it is even set at. But if I idle up the springs it loads up really bad, so not sure if its even good or not. I have been switching my fuel pump on and off to let it drain the bowl down making it kinda starve. It helps it from loading up but a dumb fix for the issue

farmboy
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by farmboy »

444kyle wrote:No. it does have pressure regulator but no gage so im not sure what it is even set at. But if I idle up the springs it loads up really bad, so not sure if its even good or not. I have been switching my fuel pump on and off to let it drain the bowl down making it kinda starve. It helps it from loading up but a dumb fix for the issue
You need to get ya one ASAP.... I run mine at 7psi. And every few rides it comes up a couple pounds or falls couple. I've seen several boats over time creep up from 7psi go up to 16-18psi. A psi gauge is a very helpful tool on any motor. Hell that could be a lot of your problems right there it might be getting to much.

444kyle
Southern Airboat Member

Post by 444kyle »

Yeh going to get one for it. I am thinking that too since its overloading with fuel at idle. and going to jet it down. It is at 80 and 90 on the jets which are some of the problem also.

farmboy
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by farmboy »

444kyle wrote:Yeh going to get one for it. I am thinking that too since its overloading with fuel at idle. and going to jet it down. It is at 80 and 90 on the jets which are some of the problem also.
I'm running 80's & 90's and mine is a tad on the rich side but nothing as far as being to much. But every motor is different. Probably need to see what squirters are in it. You really should get a hold of Eric "TIGO541" I'm telling ya he's messed with these carbs a lot he really could help out.

444kyle
Southern Airboat Member

Post by 444kyle »

yeh ricky was just here at my shop and he said that eric had a lot smaller jets. but first im going to get the starter handled and then get a pressure gauge on it to see where it is at.

southernrican
Southern Airboat Member

Post by southernrican »

Ya get with Eric. He knows his stuff been doing slot of tuning sense he got turned onto a Wodeband sensor. Ya I'm running 79/89 in mine and have me fuel set at about 6 lbs. fuel gauge def is a must. U will be driving Blind with out one. Def get with farmboy or Eric. They will get u on the right track
11'7" freedom craft step hull
Lycoming geared supercharged GSO 480
10 blade saber running 14 degrees.[/color]

TIGO541
Southern Airboat Member

Post by TIGO541 »

444kyle wrote:Yeh going to get one for it. I am thinking that too since its overloading with fuel at idle. and going to jet it down. It is at 80 and 90 on the jets which are some of the problem also.
Sounds like fuel pressure,bowls too high or maybe blown power valve but a fuel pressure gauge should be your first step in fixing the problem. That's hoping your curb idle has been set with a vacuum gauge. Do not change those jets without doing a plug check after. The jetting is depending on your power valve setting and channel restrictions. Every carb is different. Just because AED jets their carb one way doesn't necessarily mean Quick Fuel or Holley will take the same jetting to get the same end result.
13-6x7-6 Hamant Ultra-lite,Custom TIG Stainless rigging,1.7 Rotator,Supercharged 480,Electronic Ignition,80 inch 3BLD R,B&S trailer

terrible ted
Southern Airboat Member

Post by terrible ted »

pontoon outlaw wrote::scratch: I'm at a loss, my cad 507 with a roberts box loaded with coolers and fishing gear and chairs umbrella and the wife, and it gets 2.3 miles a gallon, and we run approx 24 miles at about 2200 rpm's cruising speed, but it changes in deeper water, thus I run dry more than water and my hull is a jones hull 12ft so, we burn on average 10 gallons for that trip for the day

Hell my 540 burns 10 gallons from frlorance to the Indian mount and back.

Return to “Aircraft Power Only”