New crank seal

Aircraft powered airboat discussion.
builderone
Southern Airboat Member

New crank seal

Postby builderone » Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:32 am

I just replaced my crank seal with the split the same that was in it.
My old one popped out because of a plugged breather line I believe.
I cleaned everything up very good, got all the oil residue off and glued
It in. Now it is still leaking a quart every 5 gallons. Do you usually put a rtv
Over it also. I can't tell if it is leaking around the crank or on the seam.
Or should I just pull it and redo the whole thing?
:banghead: :banghead:

getitdone
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Re: New crank seal

Postby getitdone » Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:26 pm

Don't put a split seal in it use the real one and clean mating surfaces really good before installing. Also don't use a metal scraper etc use something plastic. You will need to borrow the tool to make it easier, I use MIL-S-8802 Proseal or you can use the Pliobond that Lycoming recommends. see thread below. I changed mine that was dripping a drop or so every hour and have not had any leaks so far. I also put one in my old motor about 4-5 years ago and its still dry. Also did a buddys 0540 2-3 years ago and his is also still dry. I used MIL-S-8802 on all and no problems. The secret is to clean it and clean it.

viewtopic.php?f=47&t=51047

this is the tool you will need to borrow. http://www.skygeek.com/aircraft-tool-su ... 7Aod53wA8w

Oh and make sure to clean it...
"Poachers Dream"
13'x7'6" Hamant Ultralight With 0540 And 72"Q

builderone
Southern Airboat Member

Postby builderone » Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:42 pm

Thanks that is what i am going to do i am going to order the new part tomorrow. i will tear out the old one and clean real good..

sseater
Southern Airboat Member

Postby sseater » Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:23 am

had the same issue. put 5 in and couldnt get it to seal. then i noticed the crack in my crank. hopefully your's isnt cracked but at least take a look.

builderone
Southern Airboat Member

Postby builderone » Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:00 pm

sweater wrote:had the same issue. put 5 in and couldnt get it to seal. then i noticed the crack in my crank. hopefully your's isnt cracked but at least take a look.

Wow I will look hope that it isn't. I am noticing what everyone meant by always tinkering on them. I think oil is leaking into my jug too I have oil running out of a spark plug hole and can't get the temp gauge to work and it smells hot when i run it. I am kinda wishing i would have bought a auto motor boat. lol

Return to “Aircraft Power Only”