0320 not starting in cold weather

Aircraft powered airboat discussion.
Andrw7264
Southern Airboat Member

0320 not starting in cold weather

Post by Andrw7264 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:44 pm

I've ran into this issue only a couple times, it doesn't happen often, but when trying to start in temperatures in the 30s or 40s, it will not start. It doesn't even try to start, like it's either not getting spark or not getting fuel. This happened when heading out to hunt early this morning, which ruined my hunt. I came home, then went out to the boat around 10 this morning and it started fine. I've read on here that other people have had this problem, but didn't say what the cause was. Does these temperatures affect the mags and won't let them fire? Or does this somehow affect the fuel? And is there a solution? It's never fun getting to the boat ramp, unloading your boat, and the thing won't start. I usually start it before I leave the house just to make sure there aren't any issues, but I figured it'd piss the neighbors off if I started my boat at 4:30 in the morning. Any info would be greatly appreciated

digginfool
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Re: 0320 not starting in cold weather

Post by digginfool » Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:28 pm

Aircraft engines are definitely harder to start when it's cold. A lot of airfields have a service where they will preheat your engine by blowing hot air on it. I flew to Statesboro, NC one time in the winter and my engine did not want to fire off (O-540). They brought the heating cart over, hooked up the air duct to the cooling air intake and turned it on. Fifteen minutes later, engine fired right off. Maybe try putting an electric blanket over your engine the night before so the engine is good and warm when you leave. Hopefully, not a long drive to the ramp. You could keep the engine covered with the blanket until you got there (unplugged and tied down, of course :wink: ). Just an idea. Don't know how often you go when it's freezing out.
“When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it” - Bastiat

swampfox
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by swampfox » Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:34 pm

Not an expert and these r my opinions. When its cold like u say...30 degrees, its hard to atomize the fuel or however u say that word, and it will almost not crank. Just pull a plug wire AMD watch to see if its firing during these conditions. If so, I have a lean and rich cable and when its cold, and its been really cold, (40ish) the last couple of weekends ive been hunting, ill have to lean it out almost to the point of closing it off before mine( my dads New boat) will crank. I mean it wont crank at too to the point of killing the battery. (Whenn its been like 40 degrees) my dad and some others have said that the fuel is so dense that it wont atomize. So therefore u lean it out and she cranks every time. Hope this helps. But digging is right. They have these heaters so your motor will crank.
Diamondback 0235c sprayer/ predator gore and powerplant??? Stroked out 65 continental :)

diamondback0320
Southern Airboat Member

Post by diamondback0320 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:11 pm

Mine done same thing cpl 3weeks back while camping it did fire off but did not want to run even after warming up,pulled off the hill from camp at bout 5am & could tell something wasnt right,bout half the ride to my stand it damn near died on plane Idid ffinally get to my stand & when I came out at 10ish it fired right up & ran fine

newoldglory
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by newoldglory » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:05 pm

Fried intake gaskets at the head will do the same at almost any temp.
To open ones eyes, you must let them see!

Remember; sometimes it's better to be thought a fool than to open you're mouth and prove it.

diamondback0320
Southern Airboat Member

Post by diamondback0320 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:21 pm

Mine are all new all jugs etc just redone!

twister69z
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by twister69z » Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:38 pm

Check spark when cold. Is it also damp? Could be failing coil. Type of magneto would be helpful information. If it is getting fuel and spark at the right time it will run. Have started my O-360 in zero conditions, it has Bendix mags good spark, a working accelerator pump it will start.
Twister69z
If you don't have time to do it right the first time ,
Where are you going to get the time to do it a second time?

Hog Wild
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Hog Wild » Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:41 pm

I had this problem with an old 0-290 i had, put a new accelerator pump on it and fixed the issues

getitdone
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by getitdone » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:02 am

X2 on the accelerator pump, I had a 540 that did same thing and it was the pump.
"Poachers Dream"
13'x7'6" Hamant Ultralight With 0540 And 72"Q

diamondback0320
Southern Airboat Member

Post by diamondback0320 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:31 am

Not tryin to hijack this thread but if accelerator pump is bad then why does it only happen when irs 50 degrees or below?

AirHog
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by AirHog » Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:32 pm

Aircraft engines start best when you spin them over then hit the gas pedal while cranking.

Seen lots of people hit the pedal with engine not turning, then try to start it.

It atomizes best when you spray fuel in the air flow.

Do you see fuel squirt when you hit the throttle?

Good luck

AirHog
Bad decisions make good stories!
Citrus County Airboat Alliance Member

diamondback0320
Southern Airboat Member

Post by diamondback0320 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:34 pm

Mine starts fine just noticed cold weather effects throttle response & feel stumbling while on plane until weather temp comes up then its fine

Lwells
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Lwells » Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:18 pm

Maybe I can be some help on this matter or maybe not, I've been an airplane pilot for many years and the trick to starting aircraft engines hot or cold is by priming them. Airplanes have a primer pump knob on the dash, and you would pump it one to three times depening on the temp, lock it back, pump the throttle one to three times, depending on the temperature and then set the throttle about a 1/4, turn on one mag, seem like I remember the left mag, and then hit the starter, prop would turn about one to two turns and it would be running then we turned the switch to both mags. Then we backed them down to a reasonable idle for 3 to 5 minutes till the cylinder temps started coming up and then they were ready to go. The life of these engines is warming them up some before you start throttling them up and knowing what the cylinder temperatures are running so you can correct the throttle or if you have a mixture control you can enrichen the mixture to cool the cylinders down when running at rpm. I hope this helps

Return to “Aircraft Power Only”