Tachometer Cable

Aircraft powered airboat discussion.
Lwells
Southern Airboat Member

Tachometer Cable

Post by Lwells » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:55 pm

I am building an airboat with an o-320 Lycoming. I need a tachometer cable and don't know whether automotive tachometer cables will work or what. I also may need a tachometer for the glass on mine is cracked so if anyone knows any good deals on a tachometer I might be interested. I also have to hook up the oil temp gauge and I have two electric senders on my engine and aren't sure whether they are both the same or not. One is behind the oil filter and the other is near the oil line fitting for the oil cooler on the engine so can anyone tell me what they might be for I'm sure one is the temp for oil and I have a third connector which is a mechanical oil pressure so that confused me on the electrical senders.

twister69z
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Re: Tachometer Cable

Post by twister69z » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:11 pm

The second sender is probably for a Hobbs meter (measures hours on engine)
If you don't have time to do it right the first time ,
Where are you going to get the time to do it a second time?

Lwells
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Lwells » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:30 pm

What would it be reading off of? Both sending units look like they are in an oil passage but not sure. I have been looking on line for a picture of the engine showing these units and telling what they do but haven't found one yet.

Gary S
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Gary S » Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:18 am

Do you have the gauges and have these sending units been hooked to the gauges you have? Look on ebay for the tach if you are looking for used. Not knowing where your from makes it hard to know if your local but I have gotten cable from Ft Lauderdale speedometer and from classic. You will need to know the length you need. Both places also sell the tacks.

schmidtav2
Site Supporter - VII
Site Supporter - VII

Post by schmidtav2 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:44 am

Schmidt Airboats has everything you need also. 954-782-2845

twister69z
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by twister69z » Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:57 am

Lwells wrote:What would it be reading off of? Both sending units look like they are in an oil passage but not sure. I have been looking on line for a picture of the engine showing these units and telling what they do but haven't found one yet.
It is sensing the oil pressure to start the hour meter.
If you don't have time to do it right the first time ,
Where are you going to get the time to do it a second time?

Lwells
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Lwells » Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:56 pm

Thanks guys. I'm from Okeechobee. I found an aircraft site with engine diagram and the one behind the oil filter was oil temp and someone told me hawk speed equipment had the cables hear at Okeechobee so I'm going to check.I really appreciate the responses for although I built race cars for 19 years this airboat industry is new to me but so far I'm loving it. Just need to get to know people into airboating so I can learn the right way to do things. Thanks again

Return to “Aircraft Power Only”