4cyl continental or v6 buick?

Aircraft powered airboat discussion.
SethChester
Southern Airboat Member

4cyl continental or v6 buick?

Post by SethChester »

Sorry I added a non aircraft engine to this question but I'm a begginer. I'm 15, and I drive in 7 months, but I want to build my own airboat. Yes I know you have to be 18, but idc. Anyways what engine would I be better off with? I want to be able to run ground, I'm thinking an 11ft hull. My dad I'm pretty sure said the 4cyl had 125hp and the buick had 150hp? We have 3 other airboats but I have enough money to build my own.
New project - 11ft | Single Seat Rigging | Continental 4 cylinder.

AirRanger
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Re: 4cyl continental or v6 buick?

Post by AirRanger »

IMO. Go with the a/c in a direct drive set up I feel that you will be better served.

SethChester
Southern Airboat Member

Post by SethChester »

AirRanger wrote:IMO. Go with the a/c in a direct drive set up I feel that you will be better served.
Thankyou! And I forgot to mention these are my choices because we already have these motors in the shop.

One Eyed Gator
Southern Airboat Member

Post by One Eyed Gator »

I have a buddy Crazy Frog on SA has a 125 on a scorpion hull, and a light rigging.

I have not driven a boat that is more fun to drive than his, does take some stick time to learn in tight trails, but what a blast to drive.

Cutler
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Cutler »

Why do you have to be 18?

Deano
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by Deano »

Hands down, far and away, the Continental is the better choice for a multitude of reasons.

While it may look like a decision to weigh carefully; as good an engine as the Buick is, in stock form it will not develop anywhere near that much power at 3,000 rpm which is the limit you face after you put a prop on it. In addition to being way down on power compared to the 4 cyl AC engine, it will weigh considerably more, which is a big strike against it if you are wanting to run dry at all.

IMHO, there is really no debate to be had given what you want to do. To over simplify the scenario, nearly everything aiboat performance realated comes back to power to weight ratio. In that regard, that otherwise good little Buick engine has two strikes against it coming out of the gate.
"The suppression of uncomfortable ideas may be common in religion and politics,
but it is not the path to knowledge; it has no place in the endeavor of science."
- Carl Sagan

SethChester
Southern Airboat Member

Post by SethChester »

Cutler wrote:Why do you have to be 18?
Florida law, you have to be 18+ to operate an airboat. Stupidest thing I've ever heard.

SethChester
Southern Airboat Member

Post by SethChester »

One Eyed Gator wrote:I have a buddy Crazy Frog on SA has a 125 on a scorpion hull, and a light rigging.

I have not driven a boat that is more fun to drive than his, does take some stick time to learn in tight trails, but what a blast to drive.
125hp? Because I want to run dry. We have another boat that's like 11ft and it runs ground with a 4 cylinder. But it's been sunk more than 50 times, because of the low sides. We actually lost the airboat in Orange lake, and we found it a week later. Lmao.

SethChester
Southern Airboat Member

Post by SethChester »

Deano wrote:Hands down, far and away, the Continental is the better choice for a multitude of reasons.

While it may look like a decision to weigh carefully; as good an engine as the Buick is, in stock form it will not develop anywhere near that much power at 3,000 rpm which is the limit you face after you put a prop on it. In addition to being way down on power compared to the 4 cyl AC engine, it will weigh considerably more, which is a big strike against it if you are wanting to run dry at all.

IMHO, there is really no debate to be had given what you want to do. To over simplify the scenario, nearly everything aiboat performance realated comes back to power to weight ratio. In that regard, that otherwise good little Buick engine has two strikes against it coming out of the gate.
Thankyou, I will take that into consideration.

Cutler
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Cutler »

I'm not so sure about that, since when, my kids had their own airboat when they were 14, I think I would check into this further

SethChester
Southern Airboat Member

Post by SethChester »

Cutler wrote:I'm not so sure about that, since when, my kids had their own airboat when they were 14, I think I would check into this further
I just looked around and couldn't find anything on it. Screw it , Ill see when I'm on the water. Lol

Gary S
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Gary S »

You need to at least act 18.

SethChester
Southern Airboat Member

Post by SethChester »

Gary S wrote:You need to at least act 18.
Sorry if I don't understand this, is this a jerk move or just you giving me advice if I get pulled over. Because I'm pretty sure I'm not acting like a little kid.

Crazy Frog
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Crazy Frog »

You need to take the boaters safety coarse! I took this with my son when he was 15 and it enables you to operate any boat 10 hp and over. Get your Dad to take the coarse with you? Our local Boy Scout troop sponsored this and the turn out was good.

The State of Florida has historically held claim to the unfortunate distinction of having the
highest number of annual boating accidents, injuries, and fatalities when compared to the
rest of the nation. A year-round boating season, large resident and visitor populations, and
almost limitless boating opportunities contribute significantly to this fact. In 1996, the
Florida Legislature addressed the boating safety education issue in Florida by passing a law
requiring all boat operators born after September 30, 1980, who operated a boat with 10
horsepower or more, to carry a Florida Boating Safety Education ID Card while operating.
To obtain this card, a person was required to take and pass a NASBLA-approved boating
safety education course and submit proof of completion to the Commission.

Cutler
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Cutler »

That's what I thought, sorry to sidetrack your thread

SethChester
Southern Airboat Member

Post by SethChester »

Crazy Frog wrote:You need to take the boaters safety coarse! I took this with my son when he was 15 and it enables you to operate any boat 10 hp and over. Get your Dad to take the coarse with you? Our local Boy Scout troop sponsored this and the turn out was good.

The State of Florida has historically held claim to the unfortunate distinction of having the
highest number of annual boating accidents, injuries, and fatalities when compared to the
rest of the nation. A year-round boating season, large resident and visitor populations, and
almost limitless boating opportunities contribute significantly to this fact. In 1996, the
Florida Legislature addressed the boating safety education issue in Florida by passing a law
requiring all boat operators born after September 30, 1980, who operated a boat with 10
horsepower or more, to carry a Florida Boating Safety Education ID Card while operating.
To obtain this card, a person was required to take and pass a NASBLA-approved boating
safety education course and submit proof of completion to the Commission.
I've had my boaters license sense I was 13, thankyou anyways. And parents don't need a boaters license if they are older than a certain date.

SethChester
Southern Airboat Member

Post by SethChester »

Cutler wrote:That's what I thought, sorry to sidetrack your thread
No your good, but I didn't think that involved airboats . Jet Ski's - you have to be 14 to operate so I figured there was an age limit to airboats.
Also I took the boaters test when I was 13 and nothing on it was about airboats.

loudmouse
Southern Airboat Member

Post by loudmouse »

Maybe u ought to ask ur dad to put a bouy on the boat so u can find it after it sinks :violent1:
15' Alumitech deckover LSX TT Oxbox 84" JX 4-blade
Gas required Water optional :dontknow:
Built and Tuned by Me
14'X8' JW, Chevrolet 122CID LNF Turbo Engine, Ox box, 80" NGR 3 blade

Life is short, eat your dessert first! :downtown:

Gary S
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Gary S »

SethChester wrote:
Sorry if I don't understand this, is this a jerk move or just you giving me advice if I get pulled over. Because I'm pretty sure I'm not acting like a little kid.
Didn't mean to imply you was acting like a kid. What I was saying is if you run around with out any regard for anyone or anything, throw your trash where ever you finish with it, blast the radio where ever your at no mater who is around. You could bring attention to yourself from Law Enforcement.
You don't seem to be this type of individual . You have done what is required so build your boat,use the Continental and have fun.

Deano
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by Deano »

Gary S wrote: You don't seem to be this type of individual . . .
I readily agree with this statement; as far as I have seen, the young man has been nothing but respectful here in his quest for more information. Never having met him, I would still comfortably say I would rather ride with him than a few I have seen out loose and about. There is no doubt that common courtesy goes a long way and seldom goes unnoticed. :)
"The suppression of uncomfortable ideas may be common in religion and politics,
but it is not the path to knowledge; it has no place in the endeavor of science."
- Carl Sagan

SethChester
Southern Airboat Member

Post by SethChester »

Gary S wrote:
SethChester wrote:
Didn't mean to imply you was acting like a kid. What I was saying is if you run around with out any regard for anyone or anything, throw your trash where ever you finish with it, blast the radio where ever your at no mater who is around. You could bring attention to yourself from Law Enforcement.
You don't seem to be this type of individual . You have done what is required so build your boat,use the Continental and have fun.
Thankyou, sorry about the confusion.

SethChester
Southern Airboat Member

Post by SethChester »

Deano wrote:
Gary S wrote: You don't seem to be this type of individual . . .
I readily agree with this statement; as far as I have seen, the young man has been nothing but respectful here in his quest for more information. Never having met him, I would still comfortably say I would rather ride with him than a few I have seen out loose and about. There is no doubt that common courtesy goes a long way and seldom goes unnoticed. :)
Yes sir it does, and thankyou also!

Return to “Aircraft Power Only”