520 GITSO Electronic Ignition

Aircraft powered airboat discussion.
cdid
Southern Airboat Member

520 GITSO Electronic Ignition

Post by cdid » Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:21 am

Had a Gitso 520 motor built. Has mags on it now... Not running correct in my opinion. I dont see a need to spend hundreds on rebuilding mags or replacing parts if im still going to have old school stuff that could still need attention in the future. Everyone I have spoke to runs Electronic Ignition LOVES it ... Anyone gimme thoughts on it? Pros and Cons?

I want to do this one more time and ride...

Thanks
13' Palm Beach Full Deck (under construction) GITSO 520 72" NGQ

GMAC 76
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Re: 520 GITSO Electronic Ignition

Post by GMAC 76 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:43 am

IMO.... that "old school stuff" IF built and installed properly is still pretty damn good and will preform well and will last a long long time.....but I must admit the aircraft electronic ignitions available now are pretty nice but a little pricey.....both types of ignitions have their "good" and "bad" features....but I would suggest that you make sure what you have now is set up and working properly before making a decision to change

cdid
Southern Airboat Member

Post by cdid » Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:48 am

GMAC thanks, I have troubleshot everything we can.. I just dont want to spend hundreds on fixing mags and next year they become weak again.. If this ignition is all its cracked up to be i am all for it...

GMAC 76
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by GMAC 76 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:08 am

I understand exactly what you are saying....but I believe if the mags are BENDIX and put together right with high quality parts and the engine is properly timed and is equipped with 7mm metal core plug wire they should preform well and last for years...but even if they are put together and timed right if ya use old or used parts to begin with they will fail in a short period of time no question...but if you have trouble shot everything you can and are satisified that the performance you are getting is as good as you can get with your mags and that is not good enough then maybe the electronic ign is worth a shot

cdid
Southern Airboat Member

Post by cdid » Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:41 am

My whole thing is the mags are not performing correctly. They are missing around 2k rpm and worsen as the motor gets hotter... I do feel i am losing alot of power... Rather than figure out the problem in the mags, what makes sense to me is to get up with technology and make it perform perfect... i appreciate ur input as well!

GMAC 76
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by GMAC 76 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:52 am

sounds like a classic case of weak coils..but I think you have already made up your mind ...lol....good luck on the new ignition!!

John Fenner
Southern Airboat Member

Post by John Fenner » Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:00 pm

Personally I would invest in a set of red coils, serviceable from runout of course, a set of points and capacitors, armature seals, have a full pull down, cleaning and reassembly to spec, you will not beat the reliability of good mags.
PS replace the wire insulators and distributor blocks if they are fatigued.
I never finish anyth,,,.

riverrat1
Southern Airboat Member

Post by riverrat1 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:59 pm

First thing is you will spend a lot of money on the electronic set up , if you lose your batteries for some reason you Are done, with mags you could hand prop it , mags are the best way to go in my book, racing is different.

TIGO541
Southern Airboat Member

Post by TIGO541 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:55 pm

cdid wrote:My whole thing is the mags are not performing correctly. They are missing around 2k rpm and worsen as the motor gets hotter... I do feel i am losing alot of power... Rather than figure out the problem in the mags, what makes sense to me is to get up with technology and make it perform perfect... i appreciate ur input as well!
Pm sent
13-6x7-6 Hamant Ultra-lite,Custom TIG Stainless rigging,1.7 Rotator,Supercharged 480,Electronic Ignition,80 inch 3BLD R,B&S trailer

HAMMERHEAD
Southern Airboat Member

Post by HAMMERHEAD » Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:40 pm

I just had Darrin from pacemaker put his system on my GITSU 520. I took him the boat and left it with him and let them do their thing. Great customer service he did a super neat job and even fixed an oil leak for me. He has been in constant contact with me ever since. Not only did I find a great vendor but gained a friend as well. I highly recommend them.

dusty burch
Southern Airboat Member

Post by dusty burch » Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:46 pm

John Fenner wrote:Personally I would invest in a set of red coils, serviceable from runout of course, a set of points and capacitors, armature seals, have a full pull down, cleaning and reassembly to spec, you will not beat the reliability of good mags.
PS replace the wire insulators and distributor blocks if they are fatigued.
very true

P.Vento
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by P.Vento » Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:39 pm

Pacemaker ignition, because mags are obsolete, no moister issues, more efficient firing, greater tunability, I have it on two 540's of mine I love it, their customer service is hands down the best, down fall I here from people is "I can't hand prop my boat with that system" in this day and age everyone has a cell phone and can call for help if necessary so that is really a moot point. Spend the money you will see a difference and won't be sorry you did.

Gen3Pro
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Gen3Pro » Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:21 am

I can't remember the last time I saw someone hand prop a boat

I'm lying, last time I saw someone hand prop a boat, everyone had wood propellers.

But I love my mags anyway. :wink:
Hatchet Gang Racing

First thing I'm gonna do when I get home is punch yo mama in the mouth

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Hatchet-G ... 3881904488
http://www.facebook.com/pages/NAADR/369266453162184
http://www.naadr.com/

John Fenner
Southern Airboat Member

Post by John Fenner » Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:28 am

Prop my 5 blade a few times
I never finish anyth,,,.

cdid
Southern Airboat Member

Post by cdid » Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:34 am

Thanks guys, I think i am going to run ignition on the boat... I hear the whole, what if your battery dies etc... Last time in the woods when I didnt have jumper cables was the last time I ever did that lol... I would rather my motor run happier and smoother... Thank you all for your input... :old_glory: :salute:

HAMMERHEAD
Southern Airboat Member

Post by HAMMERHEAD » Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:07 pm

Everyone carries jump boxes now days anyway.

Return to “Aircraft Power Only”