Aircraft engine paint.

Aircraft powered airboat discussion.
hostile
Southern Airboat Member

Aircraft engine paint.

Post by hostile »

My buddy is rebuilding an O-360 for a Starduster Too and he's wants to put a show quality paint job on the engine. Divco just rebuilt the case so it's been Alodined. Any suggestions on types and brands of paint. Thanks. :florida: :rebel:

KR23
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Re: Aircraft engine paint.

Post by KR23 »

Emron, ppg, chrome abase the list goes on, all my motors are painted with black emron not cheap, but still looks like new after several years
"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction"

http://www.performanceairboats.com/Home_Page.html (407)349-1209

Warrior AirCraft Engines: (772)260-4235

John Fenner
Southern Airboat Member

Post by John Fenner »

Dupont Fulthane holds up good as well.
I never finish anyth,,,.

hostile
Southern Airboat Member

Post by hostile »

I know that Emron will get the job done for sure, I've got an O-360 that was zinc chromated then shot with Emron metallic and it's still going strong after 20+ years. Paint has changed since then so I didn't know if there was any thing better out there. :florida: :rebel:

hostile
Southern Airboat Member

Post by hostile »

John, Never heard of that one. I'll pass that along. Thanks :florida: :rebel:

John Fenner
Southern Airboat Member

Post by John Fenner »

It is imrons little brother. I strongly advise forced fresh air respirator with any isocyanate activated paints with full suit and gloves.
I never finish anyth,,,.

Deano
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by Deano »

x2 on the FulThane . . .

After I read that I was scratching my head because I knew I had used Nason Fulthane when I painted our big johnboat a few years ago. So I just went out to the shed and looked at the can from a more recent project and see that in small print it says "made with Dupont products". Guess if I was a painter by trade I would have known that. :lol:

Anyway that is some great paint for the price. I think that must have been around 2006 give or take a year, but it spite of chemical cleaners and scrubbing along the way, once pressure cleaned, it still looks like it was just waxed. That has become my first preferred paint choice for anything that justifies my spending the time and effort to attain that kind of quality, long term results.
"The suppression of uncomfortable ideas may be common in religion and politics,
but it is not the path to knowledge; it has no place in the endeavor of science."
- Carl Sagan

John Fenner
Southern Airboat Member

Post by John Fenner »

Deano wrote:x2 on the FulThane . . .

After I read that I was scratching my head because I knew I had used Nason Fulthane when I painted our big johnboat a few years ago. So I just went out to the shed and looked at the can from a more recent project and see that in small print it says "made with Dupont products". Guess if I was a painter by trade I would have known that. :lol:

Anyway that is some great paint for the price. I think that must have been around 2006 give or take a year, but it spite of chemical cleaners and scrubbing along the way, once pressure cleaned, it still looks like it was just waxed. That has become my first preferred paint choice for anything that justifies my spending the time and effort to attain that kind of quality, long term results.
X2 very durable on decks as well it takes a beating.
I never finish anyth,,,.

John Fenner
Southern Airboat Member

Post by John Fenner »

Add 2-3 drops of dot 5 brake fluid per pint of mixed product, zero fisheye and orange peel, I have yet to need a cut and rub on any new paint job.
I never finish anyth,,,.

BANANA BOAT
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by BANANA BOAT »

Bare aluminum, paint holds heat

hostile
Southern Airboat Member

Post by hostile »

Thanks for the advice. Especially about the full gear! I made the mistake of painting a truck outside with a forced air 1/2 mask and a set of goggles. the googles broke about half way through and I kept going. Big mistake! Truck looks damn good tho!
Attachments
F250.jpg
F250.jpg (9.92 KiB) Viewed 1063 times

Return to “Aircraft Power Only”