First airboat. Have no idea what Ive got myself into....

Aircraft powered airboat discussion.
CantGetRight
Southern Airboat Member

Re: First airboat. Have no idea what Ive got myself into....

Post by CantGetRight » Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:54 pm

Thanks for the nice words fellas. I look at it this way..... If it ends up being the boat (still holding out that its not haha) I'm out some mowing for some really good folks. That's really not that bad.......the guy that really got the bad deal is the guy that's been wondering where the hell his airboat has been the last 28-29 years. Besides.....Ive always got this bad boy. Right BrothaBob!

UpStAcK0360
Southern Airboat Member

Post by UpStAcK0360 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:20 pm

It use to be a hot lil motor but that was almost 30yrs ago. He doesnt want it back lol dont worry. Those old lamb hulls run good. Have fun with it! Maybe get some use out of it deff a good start to a first boat at least then you will know what makes them tick
Outlaw Airboats 321-262-4034

UpStAcK0360
Southern Airboat Member

Post by UpStAcK0360 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:31 pm

He built it. Knew the guy that did it but never had solid proof. The only thing that hurt the most was he was trying to sell it to pay for my lil ass lol but they worked hard to get it. Cut a big logging chain from around a pine tree. He deff knows it was his lol If we can find the old pics ill post them on here so u can see her in the glory days. Karma got the guy 10x over for it so no big deal

CantGetRight
Southern Airboat Member

Post by CantGetRight » Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:46 pm

Dang man. that's super awesome of your dad. Give him a big Texas thank you from this guy. I'm going to talk to the man I got it from and find out where his dad and him got it. Ill post as soon as I find out. Hes a really good man. I couldn't imagine him knowingly buying a stolen boat. Geez this is gonna make a crazy story.

CantGetRight
Southern Airboat Member

Post by CantGetRight » Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:57 pm

I would love to see some old pics. Are you guys sure you don't want it? This seems to good to be true....super excited about trading work for the boat....then the guy its stolen from 28 yrs ago gives it to me for free. Don't get crazier than that in my books.

Afflicted
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Afflicted » Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:13 pm

Tuning out to be a cool story. I hope like hell the damn thing cranks up man. That would be awesome!!

Brotherbob
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Brotherbob » Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:14 pm

Sam KARMA works both ways and your a Good man so lets build a boat out of it. We need a hull and we can build the rigging and cage using the old stuff as a template.
I trust the older gents memory, bad memories are hard to erase. Would love to see some pics of it back in the day! Did the boat have a name? "Stole my Heart" might be a good one! LOL....maybe "KARMA" or "Stolen Treasure "....wow the crazee stories we live and tell!
BB
BRAB41,TAA-220 ,Air Ranger 15x8 , SBC , 78 " 3 blade WW prop, 2.88 Stinger
SHO-NUF!

HASBEEN
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by HASBEEN » Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:33 pm

Brotherbob wrote:Sam KARMA works both ways and your a Good man so lets build a boat out of it. We need a hull and we can build the rigging and cage using the old stuff as a template.
I trust the older gents memory, bad memories are hard to erase. Would love to see some pics of it back in the day! Did the boat have a name? "Stole my Heart" might be a good one! LOL....maybe "KARMA" or "Stolen Treasure "....wow the crazee stories we live and tell!
BB

I`ll bet a coupla guys from Florida have a lifetime invitation to "Ride The River" with a bunch of Texas Airboaters :cheers:

I know they do from me.......just sayin.

I hate a thief nearly as bad as a ......well I hate a thief.

Good on ya Sam, and upstack/dad....holler if I can help :D

Hasbeen
15x7 Cyclone, 454 BBC Junkyard Motor / 2-1 Belt Drive/ 2 Blade 79" WhirlWind RQ/ Water Walker Hub

BRAB46

No Abla anything but AMERICAN

"When the Sun comes up, you better be running"

Afflicted
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Afflicted » Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:35 pm

I'm very interested in this!!! I want cylinders oiled, fuel lines, hot battery, unbolt the piece of prop, clean carb, clean points and a Pepsi bottle of gas asap an see if it'll hit

CantGetRight
Southern Airboat Member

Post by CantGetRight » Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:53 pm

I'm all for that Aff. I don't know a dang thang about this stuff but my cuz in law and his buddies are airboat wizards so I'm Purdy lucky in that regard. hell I guess today I'm just lucky all around. If it works out or not its a great learning experience and a great story. Looks like a may need to sell the kayak for parts. lol. Bob says he will help me out as long as I supply parts and keep his beer cold when hes workin!!!

CantGetRight
Southern Airboat Member

Post by CantGetRight » Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:18 pm

upstack if we get this thang going you have unlimited brazos river miles saved up from some texas fellas for sure!

GeeLeDouche
Southern Airboat Member

Post by GeeLeDouche » Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:18 pm

Cool story and project! I hope she gets runnin and you have a good time with her. I would also suggest going over the carb before trying to fire her up. I think that would help immensely. just my 2 cents. :)
16x8 Utah style hull With a Waterthunder motor W/ 2.3 CH3 reduction swinging a 3 blade 78" R.
&
17-51 Legend craft w/pods pushed by a MB HD7000

CactusJack
Southern Airboat Member

Post by CactusJack » Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:01 pm

Which one are you getting? :dontknow: The green one (TX2608EV) or the white one (TX9597CY) :scratch: Or are you getting both? The white one has a carbon prop (or black wood prop) on it by the looks of it? What motor is in the white one? Is it an aircraft 4 banger as well?

Which one was your dads upstroke? That is nice of your dad not to be worried about it now, and I agree you are a 'stand up guy' Cantgetright :salute: :usa:
Attachments
cantgetright1c.jpg
cantgetrighta.jpg
I was told I was wrong, once (not sure I believe it though)
If you can't blind 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with BS
Airboat experience so far, limited to having bolted a gyrocopter to a flat bottom punt.... but THAT.... is about to change, bigtime :-)

Lwells
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Lwells » Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:31 pm

I too would borrow a prop and start it but make sure the ground wires to the mags are working or hooked up and working so you can kill it quick if need be. I'm a pilot and I've seen them damn engines set for years on an old plane and start right up. I always ran a can of slick 50 in my airplanes until they came out with Lucas oil additive and they work for I had a mechanic leave the bolts loose enough on a rocker cover one time that the oil leaked out coming to Florida over the Smokey mountains, engine lost oil pressure and started loosing power, I backed throttle off some and it picked back power and I flew it over 35miles till I found a mining job and landed where they had reclaimed the top of the mountain and engine ran till I shut it off with no oil in it. So moral of this story is once you get it running and it runs ok then treat it with Lucas and the cylinders and internal parts in all the moisture these boats go through will not rust. Hope this helps

CantGetRight
Southern Airboat Member

Post by CantGetRight » Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:34 pm

Cactus, I got both of them. They sat right in that spot in the picture since 1999. The homemade one has some weird 2 cylinder. Atleast weird to me. Xenoah model 34bw2. Think its a snowmobile engine??? I don't know. It has a black wooden prop that's rotted to pieces. The green one was built by and stolen from UPSTACK dad. He for sure has a new friend in TX.
LW, thanks for the info and help!!!! You pilots are nuts.!!!

GeeLeDouche
Southern Airboat Member

Post by GeeLeDouche » Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:31 am

Cool! Take some pics of the engine in the other little airboat too. Im sure everybody would like to see that little bugger. Congrats on the new acquisitions. :)
16x8 Utah style hull With a Waterthunder motor W/ 2.3 CH3 reduction swinging a 3 blade 78" R.
&
17-51 Legend craft w/pods pushed by a MB HD7000

UpStAcK0360
Southern Airboat Member

Post by UpStAcK0360 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:22 pm

He is looking for pics. He had a whole file he took to the sherriffs dept to make the report along with build pics and so on. Does it have 1/2 white poly on the bottom?

Southern Style
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Southern Style » Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:01 pm

Crazy Crazy !!!!!!!!!!!!!! KUDO'S to both of you for being great stand-up guys.. This might be the popular build of the year with that background!! I KNOW I WILL BE FOLLOWING !!!!!!!!!!! Keep us all informed with pictures as the build progresses !!! Good luck and be safe...
DONT ARGUE WITH STUPIDITY...THEY WILL JUST DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL, AND BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.....
KRVSA Member
SJRAA Member
KCCO

CactusJack
Southern Airboat Member

Post by CactusJack » Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:41 am

CantGetRight wrote:Cactus, I got both of them. They sat right in that spot in the picture since 1999. The homemade one has some weird 2 cylinder. Atleast weird to me. Xenoah model 34bw2. Think its a snowmobile engine??? I don't know. It has a black wooden prop that's rotted to pieces. The green one was built by and stolen from UPSTACK dad. He for sure has a new friend in TX.
LW, thanks for the info and help!!!! You pilots are nuts.!!!
You should be able to sell the 2 stroke engine to someone into powered parachutes or ultralights, so clean it up, see if you can get it running..... you should get way more than $200 selling the little booger alone :D (someone here might want to buy it for a mini?) :salute:

Edit: Let me know if you want to sell it and I will put it on my gyrocopter forums.... it is a bit small for a gyro, but gyro people know PPC and ultralight people who might be interested.... I will ask what they are worth for you. :fishing

http://skywolverines.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2700
I was told I was wrong, once (not sure I believe it though)
If you can't blind 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with BS
Airboat experience so far, limited to having bolted a gyrocopter to a flat bottom punt.... but THAT.... is about to change, bigtime :-)

CantGetRight
Southern Airboat Member

Post by CantGetRight » Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:24 pm

sorry to leave yall hangin a few days. This site is awesome. Instead of the crap our kids are taught in school, they should just have them read forums on cool stuff all day. Upstack I hope he finds them. That would be great. I have an idea on using them. Yes that's exactly whats on the bottom. I wanted to tell ya I talked to the people who I got the boat from. They bought the boat from a guy in Sherman, Texas. She's an elderly lady and couldn't remember the exact year but said for sure before 1990. I told her about what we all have discovered and she felt bad about it and said " well tell that fella my husband loved that boat and took dang good care of it when he was alive." She said she's Purdy sure she still has the paperwork with the sellers name from Sherman and was going to look for it and let me know. When I get that name I'll send it to you. I hope its the guy you suspect. That way your dad has proof. I know its not a big deal to him after all these years but someone owes your dad an apology and I'd love nothing more than for your dad to be able to walk up to that guy and say " YOU EVER BEEN TO SHERMAN TEXAS YOU POS!" Southern style I wish it could be build of the year......but its looking more like "Build of the decade". I mow yards for a living. Bahahahaha But Brothabob and I will for sure keep you guys updated when we do things to it. Cactus thank you for doing that. I'll go check out the link.

CantGetRight
Southern Airboat Member

Post by CantGetRight » Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:48 pm

glades cat
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by glades cat » Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:29 pm

It's a small world after all.
Following this build and the good folks involved.
"Leave a legacy...Preserve the irreplaceable"
12' x 7' sled built by Scorpion, Cont. O-470-K, 72" Whisper Tip
Rigged by Gladescat & sons in 2009

CantGetRight
Southern Airboat Member

Post by CantGetRight » Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:41 pm

Hey fellas. I'm sure I could search around and find it but I'd rather ask you guys. What type of spark plug can I use? Right now they are champion d18y and are not made anymore. Also the previous owner used 30w oil. Is this ok to use or should I use something else. We are planning on seeing if she will just turn over at all this weekend. Just seeing if we should still move forward with it.

Southern Style
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Southern Style » Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:17 pm

I would run the Aero Shell 100... 50w....... Real good lubrication.. Someone will chime in on the plugs. I think I am running the D18's.. There is also a Phillips 50w that some speak of. I have not tried it, but a lot of folks on here do run it.. They too will chime in, better to get words from the horses mouth on the oil... Just letting you know there is a 2nd option that is out there available for ya...
DONT ARGUE WITH STUPIDITY...THEY WILL JUST DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL, AND BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.....
KRVSA Member
SJRAA Member
KCCO

CantGetRight
Southern Airboat Member

Post by CantGetRight » Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:56 am

Since we are going to just see if she starts do you guys think it would be ok to use just a 50w motor oil to see if it turns over. Not running more than a few minutes. Then drain and use the good stuff in the future if it runs. That way I'm not having to go into DFW and buy pricier oil just to see if it runs. The previous owner ran delco 30w in it.

Return to “Aircraft Power Only”