0360 180 hp fuel usage

Aircraft powered airboat discussion.
coonass
Southern Airboat Member

0360 180 hp fuel usage

Post by coonass »

I'm running a 0360 with a 68" water walker prop on a 12' alum. Hull. If run the motor for 5 hours I'm using 19 gallons frogging, not running hard. Is this good? It seems like I'm burning more fuel lately. WOT is 2700 RPM. I've notice some black smoke if I idle then stomp on the gas. Thanks in advance

twister69z
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Re: 0360 180 hp fuel usage

Post by twister69z »

Seems slightly excessive, does the carburetor drip?
Twister69z
If you don't have time to do it right the first time ,
Where are you going to get the time to do it a second time?

coonass
Southern Airboat Member

Post by coonass »

It drips if I pump the gas before starting motor

mcm4
Site Supporter - VII
Site Supporter - VII

Post by mcm4 »

i have that motor in an airplane, at 75% it burns about 10 gph and at 55% it burns 7 gph.

I also have an airboat that I bowfish out of with a different motor.... IF I am running on plane I get way way way better fuel mileage than if I am running fast idle and more power pushing water not on plane... I guess it is all in the load/friction/drag...

I would think that less than 4 gph frogging which includes running to and from the frogging sites, spinning around, gunning it time and time again to turn etc was really good..

kwanjangnihm
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by kwanjangnihm »

coonass wrote:5 hours I'm using 19 gallons frogging
Depends on how many sacks of frogs you got piled in the boat!! :toothy7:

:rebel:
He'll cut your throat, baby, stick you in the back, drive off in your Cadillac.
He's more trouble than you think, he'll kill your sugar, leave you in the drink.

mojoe
Southern Airboat Member

Post by mojoe »

On many subjects, this site is a great resource. On the topic of fuel consumption, it is not. The manual has posted graph of fuel consumption at increasing throttle. It is a useable reference. But due to the variables of driver, set up, conditions, terrain and the tendency of ego to affect perception, fuel consumption estimates vary beyond believability on this site.

To achieve your consumption estimate, you would need to average around 25% throttle or about 1300rpms at typical pitch. If that sounds like your night, it sounds right. If you never touched the gas an idled in a foot of water for 5 hours, you burnt too much gas. If you ran spot to spot, powered through some grass here and there, got on and off plane over and over and stuck most frogs on the fly, you got incredible gas mileage.
Mark 7:9

coonass
Southern Airboat Member

Post by coonass »

Should I be concerned about the black smoke?? Would I get better gas mileage if I took I set prop to turn 2950?

mcm4
Site Supporter - VII
Site Supporter - VII

Post by mcm4 »

I would think you would improve fuel efficiency if you were to add pitch, not take more out... but you would lose top end speed by doing so... for frogging more pitch might help you keep your foot out of the prop more...

Can you lean out your carb some? sounds like over rich if black smoke is visible all the time...

Black smoke coming out of the tailpipe on a vehicle with a gasoline engine is a sign of a rich fuel mixture (too much fuel, not enough air). A brief puff of black smoke may be visible during hard acceleration when the fuel mixture goes momentarily rich, but under normal driving conditions and idling the exhasut should be transparent. If black smoke is visible all the time and the inside of the tailpipe is coated with heavy black carbon deposits, it would tell you the engine has a rich fuel condition.

mojoe
Southern Airboat Member

Post by mojoe »

X2 to MCM4.

But I got to add: if your boat run slightly different or you're seeing a little smoke or miss after frogging at 25% throttle or less for five hours, change your plugs. Then reevaluate.
Mark 7:9

coonass
Southern Airboat Member

Post by coonass »

The plugs only have 10hours on them and it does has a slight miss while idling. Thanks again guys for the help. Not many aircraft mechanics left in my area, which is Livingston parish in Louisiana

BANANA BOAT
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by BANANA BOAT »

Black smoke is unburnt gas. it's loading up/To rich at low R.P.M.
Try to lean the low speed adj.
Also make sure the Magnetos are firing good.

coonass
Southern Airboat Member

Post by coonass »

How do I adjust the lean out for running leaner?? Where is the knob located??

mcm4
Site Supporter - VII
Site Supporter - VII

Post by mcm4 »

I reread your post, have you made sure your air cleaner is clean and large enough, too much gas, too little air, will give you black smoke... unburned gas.... bad plugs, bad wires, bad ignition...

I would check on air flow to the carb first...

if it always smoked black smoke then look to carb adjustments..

mudbass
Southern Airboat Member

Post by mudbass »

You need to check the model numbers on the side of the carburetor. Mine was burning the same amount of fuel with the same problems as you are describing. Turned out I have been running a 540 carberator on my four cylinder. I still have a ma-4-5 carb body but with smaller internals. Would be the first thing I would check. Mine runs a hell of a lot better and a lot easier on the wallet.
When life gives you lemons... Sell those lemons and buy an airboat!

BANANA BOAT
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by BANANA BOAT »

Can you post some pictures of the carb. ?

Hardtail
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Hardtail »

these airplane engines are designed to be full rich at full power on take off then leaned out at reduced power setting, (cruise flight), and as you climb to thinner air you lean some more,
put that to airboat use, you rarely use full throttle, mostly 1/2 to 2/3's throttle, which means you should be using the mixture control, mixture control is usually tie wired at full rich on most airboats,
I put a CHT and a EGT gauge on mine just to see how much I could lean the mixture and not overheat the engine, turns out that I can lean a lot at 50% to 60% throttle, but when I go to WOT I see the temps climb so I go to full rich and the temps are 300 to 400 CHT and 1200 to 1300 EGT which is a safe range. If you are cruising a long distance you can lean the mixture so the EGT is between 1200 to 1300 hundred, you will be then burning almost all the fuel and minimal amount of fuel to keep the engine running cool, "TO LEAN" and you can burn the exhaust valves, so error on the rich side of LEAN, at 50 to 60% throttle and full rich I'm under 1000 degrees EGT and around 300 CHT. Keep in mind that these aircraft engines are designed in the 40's so they are designed to use fuel to do some cooling, and TOO much fuel will cause the plugs to foul which means less power, and you will need to change plugs more often.

gretchen
Southern Airboat Member

Post by gretchen »

I have 0360 in 12' aluminum hull 70" prop about 15-19 gallons 8-9 hours depending how far your running to frogging area how hard you are running frogging. Trail riding or playing it can burn much more. WTO 2950
Buzz saw

:old_glory: :florida:

Rich863
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Rich863 »

What do you have your prop pitched at?
:old_glory: :florida:

Planeguy
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Planeguy »

mcm4 wrote:I would think you would improve fuel efficiency if you were to add pitch, not take more out... but you would lose top end speed by doing so... for frogging more pitch might help you keep your foot out of the prop more...

Changing pitch is like changing gears... lower gives you more power while higher gives you more speed. If you add/increase pitch you will increase speed but will increase the time it takes to get on step and if you go so far as to lug the engine it will waste a lot of fuel. If you reduce/flatten the pitch the boat will go slower but will jump out of the water and plane out faster with a bigger load. Fuel economy is a product of how you want to run your boat (or car or airplane...).

Return to “Aircraft Power Only”