how to identify a 4 cyl

Aircraft powered airboat discussion.
BLOWME SIDEWAYS
Southern Airboat Member

how to identify a 4 cyl

Post by BLOWME SIDEWAYS »

Im looking to get this boat the guy says its a jurnigan motor its a 160 he says upgraded to a 180 I know its a dynafocal mount also said its an h model how would I tell if its a true 180?

diamondback0320
Southern Airboat Member

Re: how to identify a 4 cyl

Post by diamondback0320 »

if its an 0320 h model i doubt its an 180,i have a 0320 h model 160 & as far as ive learnend the only upgrade to these motors is higher comp pistons because of the unique valve train&lifter assembly is totaly different from all the other aircraft motors,with that being said i have been told i think there is a 76 series 0360 h model 180 but could b wrong hope this helps

kmr0290
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by kmr0290 »

Take a picture and call Jernigan. I'm sure he will help you. Super nice guy. And loves to talk aircraft engines. His number is on here somewhere. I'm not sure they made a dynafocal "h" series. It may just have an h series sump. If it's a true h2ad it's got the dual mag single drive on it. Meaning it only has one place to mount the magneto in the case. Two mags together with one drive. Lol. Best I can explain it.
5x12 ibuiltit 0290 swinging 66" whirlwind ss, 0320 coming soon

diamondback0320
Southern Airboat Member

all the h2ad models ive seen r dynafococal as is mine

jopete
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by jopete »

i had a H2ad. it was a 160 but was a running mofo.

bottom line is this, and take it from a man who has trusted airboat sellers and been burned......

IF HE CAN NOT PRODUCE RECIEPTS OF THE WORK DONE, OR IF jR HIMSELF DOESN'T ADMIT TO DOING THE WORK. RUN AWAY FROM THE DEAL. YOU ARE BEING RIPPED OFF FROM A SORRY BAST#$% THAT IS TRYING TO RECOUP THE MONEY HE HAS LOST ON A JUNKPILE.

now, if he can prove it, well then that is another thing.

remember, a fool and his money are soon parted. i am living proof. lol

BLOWME SIDEWAYS
Southern Airboat Member

Post by BLOWME SIDEWAYS »

Thank u guys for your help

Crazy Frog
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Crazy Frog »

Here is a pic of an H-model! Notice the removable ears for the engine mounts for conical or dynafocal mounts. I doubt its 180 hp?? The h stands for Helicopter installation in the horizontal position, a stands for aerobatic dry sump, d for dual mag ( h series having a Siamese mag). The H series had cam follower issues and i guess that's why there a few floating around for experimental use ??
Attachments
320.JPG

diamondback0320
Southern Airboat Member

i could b wrong again but not sure the h stands for helicopter,i know the h2ad 0320 160hp was mainly out of the 172 cessna & i believe some piper.

JT540
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by JT540 »

H does not stand for helicopter in this case! H2ad motors and o360 e1a6d are the 76 series motor with integral gear case or acc case. They are ok motors but have bad can problems. Almost every piece on those motors are unique to that series of motor. There's not much you can do other then add compression to them and some have put ford roller rockers on them
"THE MORE I LEARN ABOUT WOMEN THE MORE I LOVE MY AIRBOAT"

Lwells
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Lwells »

I bought an engine last year that the guy thought was an IO-320 with 180 hp . The id plate on the oil pan assy said it was an 0320 but when this engine was taken to an aircraft repair shop to be checked before selling the first thing the mechanic said was it isn't an 0320. He was ask how he could tell and the mechanic said it has 1/2 inch prop bolts and he said no o-320 have such a thing. He said it was an 0360 that someone had put the oil pan assy on to fool people into believing he was running an 0320 or either when it was built they didn't have the pan for it so they used an o-320 for he says they are interchangable. So I ended up with an 0-360, 180 hp according to the aircraft mechanic after he serviced it and went through it. Don't know this is right but have to believe him for others have backed this statement up.

josh_2562
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by josh_2562 »

Got to watch out buying lycoming 4 cylinder engines. I bought a boat with what I thought was a 0360. The guy selling it didn't know what engine it was so I was on my own. So I started check it over.
It had the following
1/2" prop bolts
0360 tag on sump with big intake tubes
M4-5 carb
Well come to find out it was a 0290 that somone had Drilled out the prop flange and put 1/2 dowels and added the rest of the parts.
Best way to check is measure the length of the heads and count the fins on the steel cylinder barrel.
As far as a what people do to get more power is really all just a guess. What really matters is if the boat will do what you want. Look at the boat as it has a 0320. Don't pay 0360 money for a 0320. Good luck with your buy. Also if you cant test drive for a hour pass on it

Return to “Aircraft Power Only”