UPDATED 6'' rigging move, too much?

Aircraft powered airboat discussion.
jopete
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

UPDATED 6'' rigging move, too much?

Post by jopete » Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:05 pm

well, apparently is isn't meant to be for me to put a trim tab on my deckover. amazon was suppossed to deliver it last tuesday, and it still ain't here.
so... i got to looking, and i think i will just move everything forward six inches and see what it does.

i was just wanting some opinions on if yall think a 6'' move is too much. i figure it can't hurt that wild bronco boat i got.

looks like i can just unbolt it and slide it forward then rebolt. will need to extend the fuel line to the tank and a couple wires going to the bieldge pump, but not much else. if it works i won't need the dang trim tab.

going offshore tomorrow or i'd be doing it right now.
Last edited by jopete on Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hog Wild
Southern Airboat Member

Re: 6'' rigging move, too much?

Post by Hog Wild » Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:25 pm

I'd be cautious of moving things that far foreword. The boat has an issue with the bottom, and frankly there's very little that you will be able to do, short of taking it apart and re doing the bottom that will fix your hopping issue. A trim tab is probably your best bet short of a full reconditioning. That boat left Gary's shop riding flat and true. Years of pounding over who knows what has taken its toll. If I were you I would strip that boat down, yank the poly off and start examining the bottom. Re sheet it if you have to, and give that thing another 40 years of life. JMO.

Gary S
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Gary S » Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:41 am

It's probably the poly making it porpoise. Doubt that moving rigging will help. Can you shim the back of the poly down and make it act like a trim tab?

GeeLeDouche
Southern Airboat Member

Post by GeeLeDouche » Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:08 pm

ah hell, give it a try! I don't think it will be as big of an issue as some of you think it will be.. We run a lot of weight in the front of our boats and they still run well.
16x8 Utah style hull With a Waterthunder motor W/ 2.3 CH3 reduction swinging a 3 blade 78" R.
&
17-51 Legend craft w/pods pushed by a MB HD7000

Comanche-pup
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Comanche-pup » Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:20 pm

I feel your pain, my old boat was horrible, a big O and damn, I could jump rope, I bought it that way, it was out of balance and the poly was jacked! check your bottom good, if the bottom is screwed, you are going to bounce

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One Eyed Gator
Southern Airboat Member

Post by One Eyed Gator » Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:54 pm

Pm sent

CypressHunter
Southern Airboat Member

Post by CypressHunter » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:10 pm

Have you considered just moving your gas tank foward? Worked awesome on my cousin's old boat.... Hell he could of taken the trim tab off been just fine
13' 6'' Cotton Mouth 220 GPU 70'' signature series

dusty burch
Southern Airboat Member

Post by dusty burch » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:13 pm

Moving weight usually does not work to stop hoppingthe bottom of your boat is not straight need to work on your bottom

jopete
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Re: UPDATED 6'' rigging move, too much?

Post by jopete » Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:35 pm

another day in the love/hate relationship. lol

was sitting there making brackets to mount the trim tab on my boat, and couldn't make myself drill holes in it. lol
so......
i did like a wise man posted earlier and loosened up 3 screws holding on the teflon at the transom. then i looked in my scrap pile and found 2 peices of aluminum 1/8'' thick and about 1'' wide and 3'' long.
i slipped them in between the teflon and the bottom of the boat and screwed the screws back tight.

didn't look like much, but the boat runs alot better. got rid of most of the bounce. still gets squirrly after 2000 rpm's, but i'm rolling pretty good at that rpm.

i'll probly dig around and make 1 or 2 more peices and that should take care of it. at least till the teflon wears out, then i can fix it right.

ran the boat for 3 hours today in the heat, runs like a champ. nice to have extra power on tap compared to my stock gpu.

i took out the storage box in the floor. didn't look right. i might relocate the batteries to under the front. probly dangerous, but will clean up the lines on the boat!!!

thanks for all the help guys!!!!
Attachments
pic 3.JPG

Gary S
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Re: UPDATED 6'' rigging move, too much?

Post by Gary S » Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:33 am

It doesn't take a lot to do a lot.

Return to “Aircraft Power Only”