what to look for when buying a a/c motor

Aircraft powered airboat discussion.
Rainwaterou812
Southern Airboat Member

what to look for when buying a a/c motor

Post by Rainwaterou812 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:00 am

Hi everyone im thinking of buying a 180hp lycoming motor what do I need to look for ? Without having the option to start motor guy says he dont have time to mess around with trying to mount the motor to start it says it ran but it has front carb set up . Do I walk away or take my chances on it running . Guy wont guarantee but says it ran fine when pulled off boat to redo bottom of hull . Does prop have to be on to start ?

pgs2845
Southern Airboat Member

Re: what to look for when buying a a/c motor

Post by pgs2845 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:47 am

Don,t walk away,,,,, Run Forest-Run

Gary S
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Gary S » Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:08 am

How much does he want for it?

Rainwaterou812
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Rainwaterou812 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:24 am

Before I run away wouldn't it be worth rebuilding if needed ? :rebel:

trailerdon
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by trailerdon » Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:43 am

Is it a 0360 180hp, or a 02-something that he is claiming 180hp? It is expensive to have an a/c motor rebuilt. so is it cheep enough to take that chance?

Rainwaterou812
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Rainwaterou812 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:20 am

I do know it has 1/2 inch crank bolts the sump says 180hp :rebel:

gblack15
Southern Airboat Member

Post by gblack15 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:21 am

lots of info on here... Check the compression and do a leak down test. Carbs and Mags are big money make sure they look good.look for oil leaks and signs of abuse. Check the rear main seal for leaks and wear. drop the oil filter and look for dirt or metal filings. i am no expert at all but that is what I would do. I would also plan on spending some money to have the Mags cleaned and new points installed.

i am sure others will have additional ideas.

Planeguy
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Planeguy » Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:25 am

Look for a data plate on the engine. It may be missing but if it is still there it should confirm which engine it is unless someone here has seen data plates swapped around.

Rainwaterou812
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Rainwaterou812 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:29 am

Only thing I can make out on plate is 180hp the rest is covered by paint

Deano
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by Deano » Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:41 am

First, I would make sure there is not a pile of washers (or even a nut :shock:) shimming the oil pressure spring.
If there is, you can be guaranteed it will not hold hot oil pressure. . . . Time to quickly follow Forest.

As was pointed out, rebuilds are not casually inexpensive.
"The suppression of uncomfortable ideas may be common in religion and politics,
but it is not the path to knowledge; it has no place in the endeavor of science."
- Carl Sagan

Planeguy
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Planeguy » Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:54 am

Deano wrote:First, I would make sure there is not a pile of washers (or even a nut :shock:) shimming the oil pressure spring.
If there is, you can be guaranteed it will not hold hot oil pressure. . . . Time to quickly follow Forest.

As was pointed out, rebuilds are not casually inexpensive.
What are you calling a "pile"? I can go out to an IO-360 on the local airport right now and pull 3 washers and the owner and I have been talking about adding a couple more to bring oil pressure up to the top of the green arc on the indicator. Nothing wrong with his engine. He just wants his pressure on the high side of the acceptable range which is a very good idea.

JCGator
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by JCGator » Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:06 am

Planeguy wrote:Look for a data plate on the engine. It may be missing but if it is still there it should confirm which engine it is unless someone here has seen data plates swapped around.

you can buy them like this and fill in the blanks!!! Also the prop bolts only confirm its NOT a 180 when theyre smaller. you can put 1/2" bolts on a 160. you can put a 180 sump on a 160. You can put 180 jugs on a 160 and it wont make much compression but how would you know if you dont run it.

What i'm saying is these airboat engines are all frankenstein engines so you have to know what you're looking at or know who you're buying from. If its not a reputable builder, buyer beware. I learned my lesson the hard way.

some of these guys selling these engines should be trusted about as much as the guys selling white powder on the corner. 100% pure lycoming 180 horse!!!!
10'6" Taylor Hull. Lycoming 170 hp - O-320 w/ 480 AV jugs

Planeguy
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Planeguy » Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:14 am

Is it common for data plates to be swapped and painted over? I would think removed or just fallen off would be the normal.

Rainwaterou812
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Rainwaterou812 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:20 am

I would be willing to pay someone that knows motors if u would come with me to check it out ?

Deano
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by Deano » Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:57 am

Planeguy wrote:What are you calling a "pile"? I can go out to an IO-360 on the local airport right now and pull 3 washers and the owner and I have been talking about adding a couple more to bring oil pressure up to the top of the green arc on the indicator. Nothing wrong with his engine. He just wants his pressure on the high side of the acceptable range which is a very good idea.
I see your point about 'a pile' being a subjective measurement. I'm not an AC mechanic, nor do I pretend to be.
I have seen this scenario more than once, so the concern is a valid one. I am more than ready to expand my knowledge in this regard and have open ears. I am aware that the spring can be shimmed and is a standard practice in cases such as you site (where the bottom end and bearing condition is as it should be). Is there a means by which a layman can determine what amount of shimming is excessive and constitutes a justifiable concern?

Is it safe to assume that the washers to which you refer are measured in thousandths? And if so, is there then a predetermined number of them that are allowable?

While shimming the spring increases the pressure on the gauge, there is a point of no return where excessive bearing wear will prevent minimal hot oil pressure on the crank regardless of what the gauge reads cold. This is the scenario that a man would seek to avoid when unable to run an engine to operating temp.

In one case, I intended to add a shim or two to up the existing pressure on a used engine, only to find during the process that it already had seven washers and a nut shimming the spring. That, I would call 'a pile'. :dontknow:
"The suppression of uncomfortable ideas may be common in religion and politics,
but it is not the path to knowledge; it has no place in the endeavor of science."
- Carl Sagan

Rainwaterou812
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Rainwaterou812 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:05 pm

So im guessing pass on the deal ?

JCGator
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by JCGator » Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:11 pm

Rainwaterou812 wrote:So im guessing pass on the deal ?
I would unless the price has room for a full rebuild and still come out cheaper than a fresh engine. there's something wrong with it or else it would be on a boat or plane.
10'6" Taylor Hull. Lycoming 170 hp - O-320 w/ 480 AV jugs

Rich Andrews
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Rich Andrews » Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:04 pm

watch out for them aerosol overhauls, easy pickins for the unedjumated buyer
I'll have my Manatee burger medium please...just say NObama

14x8 deckover FELBER 397ci.. HP ???..just stay back!!

LOHA is AHOL backwards

josh_2562
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by josh_2562 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:58 pm

What is the price of the engine????

flcracker9
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by flcracker9 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:13 pm

It's definitely a gamble. I took a chance on mine, and battled oil pressure issues from the get go. It's still not great, but has stabilized after shimming the oil pump spring, to where it's barely in the acceptable range when up to temp. I had the same issues, I couldn't start the engine, so doing a "proper" compression check and leak down test was impossible. I did a compression check along with a leak down test, and the readings weren't too bad considering the engine was cold. To help answer your question, the price of the engine, and cold compression/leak down test (even though the readings would be inaccurate, it would give you a baseline) would dictate whether I bought it or not.
12' Open Palm Beach, IO-0470-L 260hp, 72" NGQ

wildman9
Southern Airboat Member

Post by wildman9 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:52 pm

Just to clarify for those of you that get on here and start running your mouth about things you have no idea about I am the one selling the motor and there is nothing hidden or shady I've told the man everything about the motor. I pulled the boat apart to redo bottom and paint boat and have run out of time since I work 16 hr shifts everyday so instead of it sit and waste I'm trying to sell it its listed in the classifieds if you want to look at it so before you jump on here and try to run down someone that is trying to sell something legitimately think first instead of running your mouth behind a key board when you don't know the facts. With that said there is some valid points brought up by some of you that I do agree with and that's things have been discussed with the guy that wants the motor such as oil pressure leak down numbers from the last time I did it right before I took the boat apart. I don't understand why people want to start bashing people on here right away and think everyone is a crook when you've never even meet the person. And one of the people that commented has meet and knows me and in sure will tell you that I'm not one of those shady kind of people. Id be willing to bet if it was one of you selling something and people got on here and started this crap you would be just as mad as I am right now. Please feel free to contact me about any of this as said the ad is in the classifieds as a whole boat but this guy wants just the motor and prop and I can bet that you can not go out and get a true 180 that runs with prop and all accessory for what I am going to sell it for

wildman9
Southern Airboat Member

Post by wildman9 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:10 pm

And one last thing the reason I'm really aggravated about this situation is the prospective buyer came and looked at the motor over the weekend and I told him my price then he wanted do me to remount everything to crank it up which I don't have time to do so tgem there was no deal ok. Then he contacted me later in the week and we agreed upon a price and last I heard he was coming either today or tommorow with the money which didn't work out and the last thing I heard from him was that he would be at my place Thursday morning with the money to get motor and now I see this crap. I guess we will have to start doing car fax and split the case in the motor for people to look at it before we can sell anything now days.

pirate
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by pirate » Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:05 pm

Not sure what your point is.......He should buy it without hearing it run.......he should take your word that it's good to go....it's an O-360 cause You said it was....put yourself in his place.
Compromise is failure on the installment plan.

Rainwaterou812
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Rainwaterou812 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:11 pm

Mr.Wildman I didn't asked for a car fax and split the case I asked you if we could start it up on the motor stand that its on and the first time I asked this ? To you u said u had no time then two days later I called u back and said are u sure we cant start the motor even if I did and brought all the stuff to start it just to make sure it runs and once again u said no time do mess with it even that I did the work to start it so yes it seem real fishy to me so yeah I got on here to ask for some pointer on what to look f poo r cause I dont know much about theses motors and last time I took the guys word I paid $4500 for a paper weight cause the guy said it runs real good and u are offering a great deal on it almost to good . But not one time did I bash you just looking for some help on not getting screwed over hey my bad for asking for help sorry this happen cause I was really looking to make a deal

jopete
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by jopete » Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:04 pm

as a person who's been screwed over in the past for 'taking someone's word for it' about a aircraft engine, there is no way i'll ever get another one unless i go run it or it comes directly from a major overhaul shop. just too much money involved. it isn't anything personnal at all. I hope you can see that.

best of luck selling your motor.

Return to “Aircraft Power Only”