Crankcase vent ????

Aircraft powered airboat discussion.
kmr0290
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Crankcase vent ????

Post by kmr0290 »

Im redoing a boat with an o290. It :old_glory: :old_glory: has a vent on the acc case and right behind the flywheel with a hose from both. My 320 has a place for th extra vent but it's plugged. Can anyone think of why the 0290 would need 2 crankcase vents???? Thanks guys. Always appreciate the knowledge. :old_glory:
5x12 ibuiltit 0290 swinging 66" whirlwind ss, 0320 coming soon

Crazy Frog
Southern Airboat Member

Re: Crankcase vent ????

Post by Crazy Frog »

I have an 0-290 d...and my mine is set up to breath out of the accessory case. The port on the front of the engine (airplane configuration) near the prop is prone to sling oil off of the camshaft. Its probably worse with the engine being backwards on an airboat...JMO , plug the vent near the flywheel and use the accessory case vent.

kmr0290
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by kmr0290 »

Thanks. That's what I was thinkin. The cases are pretty much built the same on the inside so I don't see why it would need 2 vents. I've had a bunch of 0290s but we're all gpu cases. First true aircraft 290 I've messed with. And it's easier to have 2 vents than it is to change a rear seal. So I wanted a few opinions. Thanks
5x12 ibuiltit 0290 swinging 66" whirlwind ss, 0320 coming soon

goldhunter_2
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by goldhunter_2 »

you don't need the vent closest to the prop no way your building enough case pressure, just put a block off plate on there nd keep the accessory vent

Support our future , get a kid involved in the outdoors!!

:rebel:

Return to “Aircraft Power Only”