Info About A IO-540 Value ?

Aircraft powered airboat discussion.
Cajun
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Info About A IO-540 Value ?

Post by Cajun »

Been a while since I been on here. No doing that much lately with airboats. Just got off the phone with a fellow that ask me to try to find buyer for an io-540 engine from an aircraft bad landing. Never been in airboat and could probably be made air worthy again. He said its a 300 hp. fuel injected . Does that sound right ? And what would its worth be ? I told him I would ask around a little. Thanks or any input you can offer. Cajun / Dennis
( Gettin Old Ain't For Sissies )
Cajun Built ,Gator Hunt Equipment, Harpoons, Darts & Bangsticks. Also Stop-Loss-Gaffs , Website= http://www.huntfishsupply.com Email= cooters@tampabay.rr.com

swampfox
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Re: Info About A IO-540 Value ?

Post by swampfox »

I got 20$ on it.
Diamondback 0235c sprayer/ predator gore and powerplant??? Stroked out 65 continental :)

Cajun
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by Cajun »

I am trying to find out if he has the logs on it or documentation of some kind.
Cajun Built ,Gator Hunt Equipment, Harpoons, Darts & Bangsticks. Also Stop-Loss-Gaffs , Website= http://www.huntfishsupply.com Email= cooters@tampabay.rr.com

GMAC 76
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by GMAC 76 »

"bad landing" could mean a prop strike ....not a good selling point

digginfool
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by digginfool »

I refuse to lowball like somd others here. I'm willing to give him $1,500.00 for that motor.
“When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it” - Bastiat

Cajun
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by Cajun »

He didn't say that the engine took any kind of hit. He said realistically the engine could still be made air worthy . I think he is looking for quite a bit out of it. I thought I would ask around to get an idea if it would be worth my time to help move it. Some where around $6k is what I think he is looking for. I just don't know enough about them to be a judge. Thanks

keebo
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by keebo »

What's the crank dial?
Sure you can Trust our government, just ask an Indian

:old_glory: :florida: :GA:

Cajun
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by Cajun »

Not sure. I don't know enough about that stuff to answer any questions. I had a person contact me by email cooters@tampabay.rr.com that they were interested in it at the $6k so I took their phone number and forwarded it to the owner. I will give it a couple days and see what happens. I will try to keep this ad active till something happens with it. I will try to get the question answered. Thanks everybody.

jopete
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by jopete »

it's a crapshoot. might be junk. might be fine. my luck it would be junk.

i'll never buy another lycoming unless i know the engine/previous owner or it comes straight from one of the trusted engine builders.

tearing apart your 'new ' engine to see what has come apart the first time u go run it is not a good feeling.

or, just buy a GPU, it won't hurt as bad if it flies apart.

good luck.

HAMMERHEAD
Southern Airboat Member

Post by HAMMERHEAD »

If this is an add it should be in classified. If you knew what he wanted to sell it for why not just put an asking price on it?

Cajun
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by Cajun »

Welllll, one thing was I did not know if it was worth anywhere near what he wanted. And I didn't want to waste my time or anybody elses. Now that I have a feel for what it might be worth I will probably place an ad. I had someone wanting me to sell a bike (Harley) and they wanted $12k for it and I wasn't gonna waste my time getting ridiculed over a bike worth $6k. So if this person doesn't buy it I will most likely post an ad here and some other places. Just wanted to get a feel for what it might be worth.

jopete
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by jopete »

just putting it out there..... but better be carefull selling junk motors to good people, you might wind up with a claw hammer sticking out the side of your head.

Cajun
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by Cajun »

Well if I were buying a motor worth as much as this , I would either know how to check the major things on it or have someone with me that knew about them. I am sure if the money was on the table the seller shouldn't have a problem with the buyer cracking open the case or pulling jugs or whatever you need to do to check it. If he had a problem doing that I wouldn't buy it. Plus if he has the logs on the air time and maintence that would be a big plus. I believe this fellow is in the aircraft industry anyway, so might be a good ( IN ) for the buyer to have access to future engines.

Joe
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Joe »

Cajun has been a member here for along time,just hasn't been on in awhile like he said. He's a good man and isn't out to screw anybody. I can't remember any ever posting he screwed them either. He simply asked what yall thought the motor was worth. I'd bet if he posts an add it will be stated clearly that it had a bad landing, some people will ignore that fact that he stated that it had a bad landing and assume he's just trying to screw some one cause they got screwed. Lighten up a bit yall,damn.
Cajun,to place a value on it we need a lil more info. What kind of bad landing,did it have a prop strike,and what does the crank dial at.
Compromise is for those that cant get it done!!

Equal rights for Southern Whites!

Cajun
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by Cajun »

I just got off the phone with him. He said it was in a crash landing. The crank dialed out fine. The sump will have to be replaced . He bought it 14 years ago to rebuild for an airplane. It has been stored inside his air conditioned shop the entire time. It has both mags and a prop governor on it. I will start posting ad here and else where to try to help him move it. Thank ya'll for the input. I rather not keep this post going, please email me direct or look for the ad in classified. Thanks again. Dennis

swampfox
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by swampfox »

jopete wrote:just putting it out there..... but better be carefull selling junk motors to good people, you might wind up with a claw hammer sticking out the side of your head.
Some might...Just gotta b patient
Diamondback 0235c sprayer/ predator gore and powerplant??? Stroked out 65 continental :)

Cajun
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by Cajun »

Ok I got it in the classifieds. Just alittle more info. That engine only has 460 hrs. and I was right this guy is in aviation. Matter of fact he has 2 more, but one is waaaaasy up there $$$$ for doing acrobatic stuff, another one he has he said could go either way, aircraft or airboat and it has zero hours since first rebuild. I just wanted to try to clear up any doubt that I might be or someone might be not up to snuff. The guy is very easy to talk to and a very busy guy. Please anybody interested go to the classifieds and contact me. Thanks again for all the input.

Return to “Aircraft Power Only”