Page 1 of 1

Supercharger boost pressure

Posted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:24 pm
by Dirtman
Can anyone tell me the normal range for boost pressure on a supercharged Lycoming

Re: Supercharger boost pressure

Posted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 6:38 am
by jerryncypret
I've seen about 15 to 18 psi

Re: Supercharger boost pressure

Posted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:33 am
by Quick Draw
All of the ones I've ever seen was 14 to 15 psi at 3400 rpm on a gso. I drove Farmboy's boat a couple months ago and his was laying a 20psi gauge in the corner. I don't know if his gauge is broke and he didn't have a tach so I don't know at what rpm.

Re: Supercharger boost pressure

Posted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:26 pm
by farmboy
My gso is 15psi at 3400 rpm's.

Re: Supercharger boost pressure

Posted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:28 pm
by farmboy
Quick Draw wrote:All of the ones I've ever seen was 14 to 15 psi at 3400 rpm on a gso. I drove Farmboy's boat a couple months ago and his was laying a 20psi gauge in the corner. I don't know if his gauge is broke and he didn't have a tach so I don't know at what rpm.
Gauge must be broke... :scratch:

Re: Supercharger boost pressure

Posted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:16 pm
by SkinnerBack
I think Farmboy is hiding something tricks up his sleeve!!! Lol

Re: Supercharger boost pressure

Posted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:35 pm
by Dirtman
Thanks for the replies guys, was told several different things by guys who didn't own a GSO engine but had a friend of a friend kind of thing. Glad to get some good info. Hopefully the boat will be ready for the Broward show its been a long time coming

Re: Supercharger boost pressure

Posted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:20 am
by farmboy
SkinnerBack wrote:I think Farmboy is hiding something tricks up his sleeve!!! Lol
Not me :headbang: :lol:

Re: Supercharger boost pressure

Posted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:29 am
by farmboy
Dirtman wrote:Thanks for the replies guys, was told several different things by guys who didn't own a GSO engine but had a friend of a friend kind of thing. Glad to get some good info. Hopefully the boat will be ready for the Broward show its been a long time coming
RPM's changes everything... If every motor turned 3400 every one should make 14 to 15 psi cause there all made with the same parts unless the charger has had work done to it...

Re: Supercharger boost pressure

Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:02 am
by 444kyle
where do yall pull the psi from. Hook a gauge to the boost ref. line for the carb?

Re: Supercharger boost pressure

Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:39 pm
by Dirtman
Kyle hopefully Kevin will see this and chime in. I was intending on running the boost pressure gauge off the port at the bottom of the piping running from the supercharger to the plenum the intake tubes come out of

Re: Supercharger boost pressure

Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:22 pm
by TIGO541
Yes there is a 1/8npt in the intake to hook the gauge to. Some have one on both sides

Re: Supercharger boost pressure

Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:23 pm
by TIGO541
444kyle wrote:where do yall pull the psi from. Hook a gauge to the boost ref. line for the carb?
This you can do also yes

Re: Supercharger boost pressure

Posted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:28 am
by 12PSI
Before I had enough prop to hold it back, my 540 would peg a 25lb gauge.