one wire alternator (airtec i think)

Aircraft powered airboat discussion.
grey owl
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

one wire alternator (airtec i think)

Post by grey owl » Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:35 pm

I feel foolish posting questions like this because I feel like I should already know. my alternator isn't charging and before I replace/rebuild it I want to make sure it is wired properly.
I'm pretty sure it is an airtec alternator (it has a partial sticker on it) and it is on a sv 540.

I have a red charge lead that runs direct to the battery.

As well there is plug with 3 leads. it came with 2 clipped and I green lead coming out. the green lead runs to an accessories switch that will run 12 volts to the alternator when turned on to excite it.

The block and the starter are both grounded with #2 wire and the only other thing I can think of is that the alternator may have sat for too long and may need to be re-excited(don't know much about that but read it in another post) because I only run for about 3 moths a year.

I don't have a gauge on it but I have check the alternator output with the switch turned on and the motor running.
please let me know if i have missed something.
thanks will
Attachments
20160131_140743.jpg
Last edited by grey owl on Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sflgators15
Southern Airboat Member

Re: one wire alternator (airtec i think)

Post by Sflgators15 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:51 pm

You need to check and make sure you have 12v on that green wire when your alternator switch is on and the engine running. If you don't have 12v on the green wire, then your switch is bad. If you have 12v and the alternator still isn't charging, then the alternator is bad. Switches go bad after time. I had the same problem with the same alternator and it was just a bad switch.

grey owl
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by grey owl » Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:48 pm

thanks for the response, all wires check with the meter. 12 volts going in on green and nothing coming back on the red. just ordered a new alternator.
thanks
will

John Fenner
Southern Airboat Member

Post by John Fenner » Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:19 pm

You should have 12 volts at red if not there is nothing to charge
I never finish anyth,,,.

grey owl
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by grey owl » Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:04 am

yes but I have a fuse on the alternator charge lead to protect battery and electronic ignition from spiking or ground issues. I was checking charge lead for power output with motor running on cold side of fuse and continuity with motor off. I should have mentioned I had a fs in the lead,
thanks and good catch.

Return to “Aircraft Power Only”