cylinder Oil injectors on GSO-480

Aircraft powered airboat discussion.
nunook
Southern Airboat Member

cylinder Oil injectors on GSO-480

Postby nunook » Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:49 pm

Recently I have had a problem with my oil pressure dropping and temp going up once the engine get warm, several people have told me it might be a Rod bearing causing the problem. I decided to replace the rod bearings which were not to bad, and figured while it was apart to replace the mains which were also not that bad.
In doing so I found three cylinder oil injectors bad, which were free flowing. These have a pressure spring inside and a ball bearing. I'm guess this is going to be my problem once the oil thins out the oil is just flowing out these injectors dropping my pressure. Has anyone experienced this before?
I was told this injectors are not needed and are used for inverted flight and many people plug the injectors to increase the oil pressure, being they are directly attached to the mains.
2006 Floral City 14' Deckover Lycoming GSO-480

kwanjangnihm
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Re: cylinder Oil injectors on GSO-480

Postby kwanjangnihm » Sun Apr 24, 2016 3:35 pm

nunook I added the photo to your post - isn't this a cooling nozzle?

" I don't care who you are back in the world, you give away our position one more time, I'll bleed ya, real quiet. Leave ya here. Got that? "

nunook
Southern Airboat Member

Re: cylinder Oil injectors on GSO-480

Postby nunook » Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:07 pm

Thanks I was having issues adding the photo, They are the cylinder cooling nozzles which have a regulator spring and ball bearing inside to avoid from free flowing, three of them were obviously not closing and were bleeding pressure and volume right off the mains especially as the oil thinned. I could spray brake cleaner directly through them with not resistance. When hot my oil pressure would drop to about 20 and 40 while running, prior to the issue I ran 60-65 running, 40-50 idling . I guessing this was my problem being they were not closing and bleeding the oil out of the main journals.
2006 Floral City 14' Deckover Lycoming GSO-480

Return to “Aircraft Power Only”