Hulls again aluminum vs fiberglass for my application

Aircraft powered airboat discussion.
jeepinocala1111
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Hulls again aluminum vs fiberglass for my application

Post by jeepinocala1111 » Mon May 09, 2016 4:34 pm

I am building an engine and figured why not just build another boat one for just riding I have a fiberglass for fishing, hunting, and frogging but not just for riding. I am building a 520 conversion and if I decide to go with fiberglass then it will be a jimmy whit no doubt at all but years back a had a light aluminum hull that took the beating of a lifetime and thought is that a better choice for just riding? I ride central Florida lakes like George and Orange no salt water at all. Who makes a light aluminum hull say 14x8 and what should I expect to pay for a complete aluminum hull with poly? I have no clue as to the going price? If prices are not allowed just pm the price to me. A possibility is a used aluminum hull.

loudmouse
Southern Airboat Member

Re: Hulls again aluminum vs fiberglass for my application

Post by loudmouse » Mon May 09, 2016 8:37 pm

In same boat. Fiberglass is easily repaired and fairly tough. I feel a glass hull needs poly if u run much dry. Slick bottom(whichever brand) doesn't last long. Aluminum seems fairly stout too but not easily repaired. I'll have one of each soon enough, who knows which is better. Guess it depends on what is done with them.
15' Alumitech deckover LSX TT Oxbox 84" JX 4-blade
Gas required Water optional :dontknow:
Built and Tuned by Me
14'X8' JW, Chevrolet 122CID LNF Turbo Engine, Ox box, 80" NGR 3 blade

Life is short, eat your dessert first! :downtown:

jeepinocala1111
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by jeepinocala1111 » Mon May 09, 2016 8:55 pm

loudmouse wrote:In same boat. Fiberglass is easily repaired and fairly tough. I feel a glass hull needs poly if u run much dry. Slick bottom(whichever brand) doesn't last long. Aluminum seems fairly stout too but not easily repaired. I'll have one of each soon enough, who knows which is better. Guess it depends on what is done with them.
I have all the equipment to repair aluminum and own a fiberglass hull already just figured if aluminum hulls are lighter then for a ride boat it makes sense except maybe the cost.

Ricky Bobby
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Ricky Bobby » Tue May 10, 2016 4:41 pm

I would say it's really all opinion , fiberglass can be built light also but loose strength , bend aluminum or break glass if you hit anything hard enough . But I can say I've never had a glass boat last longer than a few years with the riding I do , aluminum last just gets a few dents , for a good light aluminum hull go diamondback or hamant you'll have no regrets with either .
"Criminal Mischief " 13-7'6 hamant gso 480 ,contenental injection , 78" 9 blade Razor X, water-methanol injection

FLCGC4H2O
Southern Airboat Member

Post by FLCGC4H2O » Wed May 11, 2016 8:40 am

A new Aluminum 14'x8' will cost anywhere $5200 to $6500 depending on design and options. # of T-bars, thickness of aluminum, thickness of poly, grass rake, standard hull vs. ultralight, etc. Most manufacturers right now are 8-12 weeks out.
14' Alumitech 383 SBC 2.68 Rotator 3 blade 80" Sens. R
Polished sst rigging 3/8 poly goes where you want it to.

One Eyed Gator
Southern Airboat Member

Post by One Eyed Gator » Wed May 11, 2016 8:55 am

If I was building a freshwater ride/play boat it would have to be a short wide deckover.

I have an open alumninum fishing boat with a carmotor for the gulf. My next boat will be an aircaft on a light deckover there is nothing more fun to drive than a free running deckover. Got a buddy with a lacey built 520 that motor on a very light 12-6x7-10 deck would be a blast. Hell another buddy has a 125 on a 12' scorpion it is funny to drive just a little under powered for me.

jeepinocala1111
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by jeepinocala1111 » Wed May 11, 2016 6:44 pm

One Eyed Gator wrote:If I was building a freshwater ride/play boat it would have to be a short wide deckover.

I have an open alumninum fishing boat with a carmotor for the gulf. My next boat will be an aircaft on a light deckover there is nothing more fun to drive than a free running deckover. Got a buddy with a lacey built 520 that motor on a very light 12-6x7-10 deck would be a blast. Hell another buddy has a 125 on a 12' scorpion it is funny to drive just a little under powered for me.
You have the right idea I am building a 520 conversion ground up and want it to be just one of those great boats you never want to get rid of. Never drove a deck over though and everyone in my area tell me to stay away from them? Orange lake, lake George pretty much central Florida. I would love a 13x8 but cannot find anyone that makes them. If I knew of a good priced aluminum supplier I think I would just build what I really want. :banghead:

augur
Southern Airboat Member

Post by augur » Thu May 12, 2016 5:51 pm

I am new to airboats and still playing around with my first one (14' fiberglass cottonmouth) and I am scared to death of sinking it. I see someone in the string said stay away from deck over, why?

jeepinocala1111
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by jeepinocala1111 » Thu May 12, 2016 8:03 pm

augur wrote:I am new to airboats and still playing around with my first one (14' fiberglass cottonmouth) and I am scared to death of sinking it. I see someone in the string said stay away from deck over, why?
They are supposed to be bad in deep water I really do not know never drove one.

Gary S
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Gary S » Fri May 13, 2016 7:38 am

jeepinocala1111 wrote:
augur wrote:I am new to airboats and still playing around with my first one (14' fiberglass cottonmouth) and I am scared to death of sinking it. I see someone in the string said stay away from deck over, why?
They are supposed to be bad in deep water I really do not know never drove one.

It has been said there are two types of airboaters those who have sunk boats and those who are going to sink boats.
You have to be careful with whatever you run. Just because its decked over does not mean that water can't get in. Hatches are not water tight. The problem comes from not being able to see below deck, you get water in and don't know it until it's too late.
You can sink a open boat a lot faster.

CypressHunter
Southern Airboat Member

Post by CypressHunter » Mon May 16, 2016 12:16 am

If you want a 13x8 open boat check out Panther Thunder in Cocoa. My boby has one and loves it.

As far as deck overs Gary is right about not seeing water under your deck. And most sled boats have low transom and in big water you have to worry about catching the edge and rolling when turning off plane.

I struggle all the time about going aluminum but my cottonmouth rides nice and it's easy to work on
13' 6'' Cotton Mouth 220 GPU 70'' signature series

Return to “Aircraft Power Only”