Page 1 of 1

Over 350 HP ??

Posted: Fri May 20, 2016 3:38 pm
by kwanjangnihm
saw this while checking parts on ebay :scratch:

Brand new rebuilt Lycoming 0540. With high compression positions and cam from Schmidt. Only 3 hrs on motor. Motor is wrapped in 3M carbon Very strong motor!!!
Specs: Lycoming 0540

Compres: 13:11:1

Cam:from Schmidt ava.

Magnetos: Bendix mags x2

Carb is still yellow tagged!!

Well over stock 350hp!!!!'

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lycoming-0540-m ... Jr&vxp=mtr

Image
Image
Image

Re: Over 350 HP ??

Posted: Fri May 20, 2016 6:43 pm
by keebo
With a 150 shot maybe...

Re: Over 350 HP ??

Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 1:08 pm
by krazymatt
I saw this also. It is a good looking motor. Where he get the 13:1 Pistons? Use the 11 or 12:1 from angle valve cylinder in the str8 valve?

Re: Over 350 HP ??

Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:02 pm
by jeepinocala1111
Yeah nice rebuild look at the corrosion around the neck of the airfilter.

Re: Over 350 HP ??

Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:10 pm
by kwanjangnihm
was hoping one of the engine builders would have some input on this build...... :scratch:

Re: Over 350 HP ??

Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:13 pm
by glades cat
Wow. 13:1 is approaching diesel compression. :shock: That is a lot of squeeze.

Re: Over 350 HP ??

Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:23 pm
by mwood7800
Didn't sell so Now relisted for 13k
I sent him an email, he said the motor was built by Gray Armstrong. Pistons came from schmidt avaition and the cam from up north.

Re: Over 350 HP ??

Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:55 pm
by jeepinocala1111
glades cat wrote:Wow. 13:1 is approaching diesel compression. :shock: That is a lot of squeeze.
I bet that's why it is for sale. Unless racing why the heck would you try and run that compression in the everyday running?

Re: Over 350 HP ??

Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:35 pm
by terrible ted
So at what rpm is 350 hp.

My motor was rated at 315 at 3200. It has also been uped to 10:1 now and that's high enough

Re: Over 350 HP ??

Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:15 pm
by mwood7800
So who is gary. Armstrong?

Re: Over 350 HP ??

Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:01 am
by B-White
mwood7800 wrote:So who is gary. Armstrong?
GKA540 on here.....one of the best at building AC engines.

Re: Over 350 HP ??

Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:54 am
by trailerdon
Pm Gary Armstrong and ask him directly. If that is his build I would think he could give you the actual details.

Re: Over 350 HP ??

Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:20 am
by JT540
lol. well I was gonna stay out of this one but I built that motor. it is nothing of what he says. the motor is a small main wide deck straight valve that I rebuilt with a phase 3 cam and 9 to 1 pistons. the guy bought it from me I delivered it to Okeechobee and the guy was supposed to bring it back for me to do the startup once mounted never did. he took it to gary for a carb issue and gary put a nos carb that he had on it and last I heard it had been sunk twice. they may have done something to it since then cause the pushrod tubes were black but I don't think gary has done it or he would have called me to let me know. I think the guy is full of shit all the way around.

Re: Over 350 HP ??

Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:14 am
by JCGator
Gotta love Southern Airboat to bring out the truth! New airboaters looking for a boat/engine should take note of this... this i pretty common that the HP, builder, specs, etc in the description are all BS! :violent1:

Re: Over 350 HP ??

Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:43 am
by Deano
JCGator wrote:Gotta love Southern Airboat to bring out the truth! New airboaters looking for a boat/engine should take note of this... this i pretty common that the HP, builder, specs, etc in the description are all BS! :violent1:
x2 This premise can NOT be over stated :!:

This is not the first time and likely will not be the last. If you don't take the time to exploit the knowledge, expertise and helpfulness that exists right here, you've probably done yourself a disservice. This is just another example that supports my premise that there is reason that some stuff is for sale on ebay and craigslist instead of being listed here. :idea:

Caveat emptor !

Re: Over 350 HP ??

Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:40 pm
by terrible ted
like they say the prof is in the prop. My motor will only spin a 74 wispertip to 3000 set on the 13 mark with the seam of the blade. 350hp should spin more

Re: Over 350 HP ??

Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:09 pm
by aherr520
JT540 wrote:lol. well I was gonna stay out of this one but I built that motor. it is nothing of what he says. the motor is a small main wide deck straight valve that I rebuilt with a phase 3 cam and 9 to 1 pistons. the guy bought it from me I delivered it to Okeechobee and the guy was supposed to bring it back for me to do the startup once mounted never did. he took it to gary for a carb issue and gary put a nos carb that he had on it and last I heard it had been sunk twice. they may have done something to it since then cause the pushrod tubes were black but I don't think gary has done it or he would have called me to let me know. I think the guy is full of **** all the way around.
so it doesn't have 350hp how much does it have :dontknow:

Re: Over 350 HP ??

Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:26 am
by JT540
if I had a dyno I could tell you! but I don't so all I can do is guestimate. they way that its built with only 9 to 1 pistons and cam is should be around 265 you don't gain much hp from just that little bump in compression but you gain snap and throttle response.