Running new ground

Aircraft powered airboat discussion.
Monkeydust
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Running new ground

Post by Monkeydust »

I think I have ground issues.PE90/520 Conv. Starter has been getting sluggish when cold.Innovative Acc. starter kit.Good batt.Have farely small ground going to rigging.Another from block to riggin.Can I run a bigger ground from the battery to block and from there another cable to riggin.I read size 1.0 cable in searching and where to get it.Thanks for any info. Alan

Monkeydust
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Re: Running new ground

Post by Monkeydust »

Oh. The ground started smoking a little bit when starting the other day.Stopped when I let off the starter.

Whitebear
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Whitebear »

Ground should not be Daisy Chained. If you can not pull a separate ground for each point from your battery then create a Bus Bar close to the battery and run all grounds from that point only. It is ok to run a ground from the bus bar to the instrument panel and inside the panel make a bus bar for all the grounds in the panel. Not a good thing to daisy chain in the panel either but the two bus bars will act like a single cable to each other.

The trouble with multiple chains in the ground system is the they can get ground loop currents circulating in them and this can play hell with electrical noise and even damage some electronics.
"The Constitution is not so the government can restrain the people, it is so the people can restrain the government." Patrick Henry
The government cannot give anything --
that they have not first taken from someone else.

Monkeydust
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by Monkeydust »

Does that mean its ok to have a ground from battery to frame and from motor to frame also ?

Whitebear
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Whitebear »

As long as there is only one single point from which all other grounds are pulled from you should be fine. If that single point is the frame or the engine block you should be fine. I think I would chose the engine block myself.

Actually, re reading your question I think the answer is yes, as long as the frame and the battery and the engine block ground are all on the same bolt/screw. Should be a single point that works for you.
"The Constitution is not so the government can restrain the people, it is so the people can restrain the government." Patrick Henry

goldhunter_2
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by goldhunter_2 »

why not just run one heavy ground form battery directly to starter , if you want a 2nd ground strap go form battery to engine case

Support our future , get a kid involved in the outdoors!!

:rebel:

keebo
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by keebo »

I am using 1/0 wire, the ground from battery is bolted through the runner and rigging at the floor,(aluminum boat) have another from engine stand at motor mount bolt to case, works great and never had a problem. I would guess since it's all attached it would be considered a single point. Either way it works well.
Sure you can Trust our government, just ask an Indian

:old_glory: :florida: :GA:

Sflgators15
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Sflgators15 »

goldhunter_2 wrote:why not just run one heavy ground form battery directly to starter , if you want a 2nd ground strap go form battery to engine case

Do not run a ground wire to your starter. Only positive leads are on the starter. Starter is grounded through its frame to the engine block.

goldhunter_2
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by goldhunter_2 »

Sflgators15 wrote:
goldhunter_2 wrote:why not just run one heavy ground form battery directly to starter , if you want a 2nd ground strap go form battery to engine case

Do not run a ground wire to your starter. Only positive leads are on the starter. Starter is grounded through its frame to the engine block.
starter bolts to bracket then case etc to get ground (an mount) direct grounds have work well for me

Support our future , get a kid involved in the outdoors!!

:rebel:

jopete
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by jopete »

my gpu boat started acting stupid. i put a second groundwire from eng block to motor stand and all the gremlins dissappeared.

Gary S
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Gary S »

Your cables are probably fine. Your terminals on the end of the cables are probably corroded between cable and terminal and need changing.

Deano
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by Deano »

jopete wrote:my gpu boat started acting stupid. i put a second groundwire from eng block to motor stand and all the gremlins disappeared.
That is a good example of the fact that you can not have to many grounds. When dealing with offshore boats that have wiring systems more like a house than an airboat, especially when they are older, chasing wiring problems can turn into a semi-regular occurrence. Over time one will come to the realization that 95+ percent of all wiring problems come back to a bad ground. Ground redundancy is king. This is why the buss bars that Scotty eluded to work so well.

I run a direct connection from the battery to the engine block AND from the battery to the engine stand/rigging. I additionally have one from the block to the engine stand/rigging. The last one may sound like overkill, but I simply do not have wiring issues having approached it in that fashion. :)
"The suppression of uncomfortable ideas may be common in religion and politics,
but it is not the path to knowledge; it has no place in the endeavor of science."
- Carl Sagan

happy harold
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by happy harold »

check out gary s ' reply. cable end have always been a problem since they are all made in china of iron and not copper; crimpt, and not soddered .(can't find my dictionary)

jopete
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by jopete »

chasing a bad ground at 2am in the swamp with everybody looking at you and getting ate up with bug bites is no place to be!!!!!

Monkeydust
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by Monkeydust »

Appreciate it,Keebo,Where do you get 1/0 cable ?

keebo
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by keebo »

http://www.wiringproducts.com/1-0-gauge-battery-cable I'm sure you can get it at NAPA or a local battery supplier if there is one around you, welding leads work quite well too.
Last edited by keebo on Wed May 25, 2016 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sure you can Trust our government, just ask an Indian

:old_glory: :florida: :GA:

Monkeydust
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by Monkeydust »

Thanks

Skeeter-Gee
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Skeeter-Gee »

a good swedging tool for copper lugs is alot better than soldering from a safety standpoint. Loose connection creates heat , soldered connections can fall out . Hence why battery cables in the marine industry are crimped some both soldered and crimped .

Whitebear
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Whitebear »

To have a good electrical connection you must first have a good mechanical connection.

I have always crimped then soldered. Exactly as stated above. Good advice.

Planeguy
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Planeguy »

Skeeter-Gee wrote:a good swedging tool for copper lugs is alot better than soldering from a safety standpoint. Loose connection creates heat , soldered connections can fall out . Hence why battery cables in the marine industry are crimped some both soldered and crimped .

x2 plus crimping is the primary method in aviation for the same reasons.

woodlineO540
Southern Airboat Member

Post by woodlineO540 »

l also run ground directly from battery to starter the more grounds the better

Monkeydust
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by Monkeydust »

Ran 2 new grounds new starter.Now spins like it use to.Thanks for all the info

Return to “Aircraft Power Only”