0-470 questions/problems/concerns.

Aircraft powered airboat discussion.
East_Coast_Fl_321
Southern Airboat Member

0-470 questions/problems/concerns.

Post by East_Coast_Fl_321 »

Hello Southern Airboat members,

Im looking into purchasing a boat with a 0-470 conti. Thats was recently rebuilt within 1-2yrs ago by j.c stanley out of orl. He said durring the rebuild they installed aftermarket pistons etc. I asked him specifically about the cam and if the balancers were removed to acomplish a taller stroke/hp. He doesnt know for sure. I've been told by the owner the boat has a power issue. States it been diagnosed down to the #6 cylinder. States the cylinder/sleeve has seperated and will require a replacement. The seller has agreed to replace cylinder, rings, gaskets, etc. With this being the case what other issues may develope over time and before i purchase what problems should i listen/look for. I will perform a compression/cylinder leak down test along with running the boat and monitoring oil pressure and temp. Any information will help.

Thanks again,
Wes

Happy Memorial Day!!!
Attachments
20160519_142516.jpg
Screenshot_2016-05-24-20-11-23.jpeg

helicsher
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Re: 0-470 questions/problems/concerns.

Post by helicsher »

Tell them you love the boat
But don't need the motor , ask how much for the boat with no motor
Then you will know what the motors worth
"Success Requires No Excuses"

goldhunter_2
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by goldhunter_2 »

East_Coast_Fl_321 wrote:I asked him specifically about the cam and if the balancers were removed to acomplish a taller stroke/hp.
removing the counterweights has nothing to do with "accomplish taller stroke"

Support our future , get a kid involved in the outdoors!!

:rebel:

kwanjangnihm
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by kwanjangnihm »

East_Coast_Fl_321 wrote: The seller has agreed to replace cylinder, rings, gaskets, etc.
Is the seller qualified to do this repair, or can you have a qualified mechanic install the new parts and inspect the engine overall health? Then run the boat/engine for over an hour checking for pressures, temps, leaks, vibrations,etc.

Welcome to SA! :thumbleft:
He'll cut your throat, baby, stick you in the back, drive off in your Cadillac.
He's more trouble than you think, he'll kill your sugar, leave you in the drink.

East_Coast_Fl_321
Southern Airboat Member

Reply 1. It is a nice boat/set up. Its priced right as well. Im concerned about the problems that can develope over long term. Ive ridden motorcross for years and have rebuilt many small engines in my past. I never seen or heard that a cylinder has seperating. Usually cylinder damage was caused by something else. I could be wrong idk. Reply 2 I work at a car dealership and was talking to a old retired aircraft mech. He said removing the balancer would alow for the cam to acomplish a taller stroke durring it rotation but said if this has been done it would jepordize the case and shorten the life of engine. The guy was also in his 70s/80s... Reply 3 the sellers father supposedly is a aircraft mechanic and will do the repairs himself.

KR23
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by KR23 »

Contact Ben Stanley on here, I'm sure he'd take a look at it. Might as well go to the family that built the motor, Jc built some nice motors
"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction"

http://www.performanceairboats.com/Home_Page.html (407)349-1209

Warrior AirCraft Engines: (772)260-4235

East_Coast_Fl_321
Southern Airboat Member

Thanks bud. I appreciate everyones input i gotten so far. I hope all you have a blessed day remembering those who served us and gave thier life for us

Thanks
Wes

jeepinocala1111
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by jeepinocala1111 »

Overheating can cause that cylinder to separate. How bad was it overheated is what matters. If the counterweights are removed don't buy it that is a very stupid thing to take out what balances the engine unless you are just looking to get a few runs out of it. How much is the boat?

East_Coast_Fl_321
Southern Airboat Member

$9500. Its a 2008 hamant ultra light, rebuilt 0470 by stanley with new 72" sensnitch whispertip prop and rigging + trailer etc. Ive been shopping for awhile now. This is the first boat thats came around that has the setup I want that not priced through the roof and or hundreds of miles away. I work with the current owner. And the owner father builds custom rigging/cages out of his backyard shop etc. The father owns another hamant with a 470 aswell. I take them both as stand up citenzens. I dont get bad vibes that theyre just trying to unload the boat cause its got problems etc. Im really seeking information from southern airboat to gain further knowledge in what to expect. When i was a kid/teenager i spent lots of time riding around on a 220 and a 540 boat. Id prefer to buy 540 but i dont have 15-20k to spend. I dont want to buy something that i need to do a ton of repairs and aluminum hull is a must for me.

slidingforhogs
Southern Airboat Member

Post by slidingforhogs »

Imo, if you do purchase it and you have other issues with the engine after repairs then need a complete overhaul of the engine then u have spent snuff to buy that 540 boat. 9500+4000 poss cost to rebuild engine 13500+, if u have 9500 already save snuff to get what you want and you'll be alto happier ... I know its hard to resist the airboat bug.. Jmo. . good luck bro
11'7 gore ,
220 gpu swinging a woody...

Stomp on it!!!!

East_Coast_Fl_321
Southern Airboat Member

Trust me i know Ive been shopping for the last year. I was going to buy a nice 220 boat on consignment from hamant. I missed out by a half hour. Then another 520 boat. Ive had this nest egg tucked away now for a cpl years. I have been told by the fiance either buy your damn boat or put the money to use towards the wedding. What would you do?

goldhunter_2
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by goldhunter_2 »

East_Coast_Fl_321 wrote: Reply 2 I work at a car dealership and was talking to a old retired aircraft mech. He said removing the balancer would alow for the cam to acomplish a taller stroke durring it rotation but said if this has been done it would jepordize the case and shorten the life of engine. The guy was also in his 70s/80s....
Removing the counterweights is something mainly done by racers to reduce the rotating mass an allow the prop to snap up quicker , your stroke is determined by the diameter your crank turns which makes your rods and makes the pistons travel so far each rotation. your 0-470 stock is a 4" stroke for compassion the 0-540 you mention wanting has a 4.37" stoke.

You said you know an work with the seller and believe him to have good character , there's no problem with him (his father) doing repairs it saves you money an allows you to test boat in good condition. You may ask to be there when they do repairs so while cylinder is off you can check to be sure counterweights are on the crank.

When you'll go out to test run the boat , watch oil psi, after engine is hot look it over for oil leaks, check it see if prop has thin oily film, check for exhaust an intake leaks , do leak down test (while engine warm), watch max rpm while testing then later look at where the prop is pitched, check the prop shanks for stress cracks along with leading edges an tips for damage, check oil color an look for any contaminants in oil

Support our future , get a kid involved in the outdoors!!

East_Coast_Fl_321
Southern Airboat Member

Thanks for the info. I definitely keep it in mind and check it all mentioned.

Thanks again,
Wes

Junker
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Junker »

East_Coast_Fl_321 wrote: I have been told by the fiance either buy your damn boat or put the money to use towards the wedding. What would you do?

I would keep packing it away for the boat you really want .................. Take her for a trip to the Clerk of the Court's office and afterwards to the Oyster Bar......worked for me ........ going on 9 yrs of blissful matrimony ...LOL
14 x 8 Hamant
383 - 2.38 Stinger
80" 3 Blade
Stainless rigged

East_Coast_Fl_321
Southern Airboat Member

I agree. I dont see shelling out big money for a wedding. Her cousin shelled out 15k to get married and the ceremony at a damn movie theater. Just saying money can be better used elsewhere. Im still on the fence though about this boat. If everything checks out and the new cylinder fixes it. I dont see a reason to not purchase. I dont want to find myself buying a boat from someone unknown who is dishonest and just dumping a pile of s*** off to somebody else. I hate to think of people that way but im sure everybody has been burned by somebody in thier life and know where im coming from. Who knows at a later time i may stumble across an 540 engine alone that needs tlc and build it to my taste before installing on a boat.

East_Coast_Fl_321
Southern Airboat Member

Are there any known problems fellow airboaters experience with the continental 220/470 motor. If so what should i expect and or look for before purchase? Is there any additional information/manufacturer service bulletins available via world wide web. All input helps.

Thanks again everyone.
Wes

jopete
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by jopete »

hey, don't buy that boat if is has problems. just throw your money in the trash can instead.
now that there is a pic of that boat on here with known problems, you could offer him 5k for it and he'd be smart to take it. He'll never sell it now for 9500.

and... there is no wrench free airboat. they all need fixing from time to time. some more than others.

good luck on whatever u decide to do.

jeepinocala1111
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by jeepinocala1111 »

East_Coast_Fl_321 wrote:Trust me i know Ive been shopping for the last year. I was going to buy a nice 220 boat on consignment from hamant. I missed out by a half hour. Then another 520 boat. Ive had this nest egg tucked away now for a cpl years. I have been told by the fiance either buy your damn boat or put the money to use towards the wedding. What would you do?
Depends on what she looks like :toothy7: I have seen a few I'd put my boat away for :downtown:

slidingforhogs
Southern Airboat Member

Post by slidingforhogs »

I have a 220 boat and its does pretty good, want complain, though I would love a 0540 but , just want in the cards for me at the time, just wished i saved lil more then got want i want,, but you could just take what you have if she is twisting your arm and just go buy a brand new rebuilt 0540 engine and in near future buy a hull setup and put that 540 on it... Atleadt then you wouldn't be haggled about spending it in a wedding... But then again if she's going that already if be nervous about my aorboay after you tied the knot....Lol.. Lime I've said before pregnancy test = selling airboat,,,, marriage == kids, wife, = its me OT the airboat , I chose to keep my airboat....Lol...
11'7 gore ,
220 gpu swinging a woody...

Stomp on it!!!!

East_Coast_Fl_321
Southern Airboat Member

Yea well i cant leave the fiance. We got kids together. However i will still buy an airboat and have a semi cheap 5-7k wedding to make her happy. Lol I appreciate all the input i got from all of you here on southern airboat.

Thanks Wes

Return to “Aircraft Power Only”