520 Contential, no oil pressure

Aircraft powered airboat discussion.
rowdy1
Southern Airboat Member

520 Contential, no oil pressure

Post by rowdy1 »

How long should it take to get oil pressure? I have a fresh built 520, engine builder said to take the top plugs out and spin the motor over with the starter until I have pressure. I have spun the thing over, 30 - 45 seconds at a time. NO PRESSURE! I thought I might have a bad sensor, so I took it out completely and spun it over for more than a minute. NO Pressure. How long is to long? I have over 5 minutes total, and haven't had a drop come out of the block yet.

twister69z
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Re: 520 Contential, no oil pressure

Post by twister69z »

Pre oil. The engine install a fitting with a hose barb fitting into oil galley using a suction pump fill it with mineral oil Aeroshell oil and dispense in to the fitting slowly it isn't thin oil so it will take a little time to preoil the whole engine.
Twister69z
If you don't have time to do it right the first time ,
Where are you going to get the time to do it a second time?

jwoodl01
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by jwoodl01 »

Did you happen to prime the pump?
PROUD MEMBER OF UNITED SPORTSMAN FOR TRADTIONAL HERITAGE

jopete
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by jopete »

sounds like you picked the wrong person to rebuild your motor. post his name on here so we know who not to send our motors too.

if it just needs a prime, you would think that would be a good thing for the guy to tell you before u ruin a supposedly fresh motor.

rowdy1
Southern Airboat Member

Post by rowdy1 »

I did not prime the pump. I assumed the pump would pick it up fairly quickly. As for calling out the engine builder, that's a bull$hit comment! The engine has been sitting under my workbench for nearly two years. things happen GROW UP!

jwoodl01
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by jwoodl01 »

I would like to imagine that's your fix. Prime the the gal up and let us know...
PROUD MEMBER OF UNITED SPORTSMAN FOR TRADTIONAL HERITAGE

jopete
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by jopete »

rowdy1 wrote:I did not prime the pump. I assumed the pump would pick it up fairly quickly. As for calling out the engine builder, that's a ******** comment! The engine has been sitting under my workbench for nearly two years. things happen GROW UP!

hey dude, don't get all pissy at me because you don't know what you are doing. i'm trying to call the guy out so you get your engine running, or at least some help for you so you don't burn your motor up before you ever hear it run.
way too many people get screwed over within the airboating community. I do not want to see you be the next victim.

whatever, hope you get it running, guess i'll go grow up. :roll:

Planeguy
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Planeguy »

Not many possibilities on this. I would think the pump would pick up the oil without being primed, especially if it was installed with assembly lube and not a wore out piece of junk. Priming it should help but, if it is wore out, it isn't likely to hold it's prime if allowed to sit too long.

The other possibility is a problem with the pick up tube. I have heard of cases where a rag was left in the sump and plugged the tube. I have also heard of a hole corroded through one so it would only draw air and the tube not installed at all.

John Fenner
Southern Airboat Member

Post by John Fenner »

Any reputable engine builder will assemble the oil pump with a coating of lubriplate which will not run off the assembly as other lubes will.
Remove oil filter or screen and fill housing with oil, then reinstall filter and spin it over.
I never finish anyth,,,.

terrible ted
Southern Airboat Member

Post by terrible ted »

jwoodl01 wrote:Did you happen to prime the pump?

I have to do this when i even change my oil.

twister69z
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by twister69z »

Wow a lot of pissing and moaning , did priming the pump work?
Twister69z
If you don't have time to do it right the first time ,
Where are you going to get the time to do it a second time?

rowdy1
Southern Airboat Member

Post by rowdy1 »

jopete, if asking for help means I don't know what I'm doing to you, then that means you must know in all! I have no use for a know it all because you are incapable of communicating with normal people. You seem to be the only one who is quick to think I got screwed.

I talked to the engine builder this morning, he told me how to prime the pump. I hope to have it fixed this afternoon.

Thank You, to all who contributed constructed advise.

rowdy1
Southern Airboat Member

Post by rowdy1 »

Oil pressure update:
Everything is good. took the boat to engine builder Friday. Primed the pump, turned it over, still very little pressure, adjusted the oil pump spring, got it to show pressure. Aircraft starter just not spinning over fast enough. Flipped the switches on, busted right off, PRESSURE. Adjusted pressure cold to 40PSI. Broke the motor in this weekend, several heat cycles w/ CHT up to 325deg. This afternoon I took the boat to Orange Lake, got it on a plane and ran it 1600 - 2000 rpm for 35 minutes. Oil temps up to 210 deg. Still holds 30 psi at that rpm and temp. Im swinging a 2 blade 72" NGQ set on 3. It has plenty of power

Planeguy
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Planeguy »

Personally, I would check it at max power and I would likely push the oil pressure up a little. 30-60 psi is the oil pressure range for a 520 at operational temps when taken from the 2-4-6 side of the engine. 10 psi is the minimum at idle. You may not get cold enough to see it where you are at but 100 psi is the maximum for a cold 520 (but then I saw 100 psi yesterday morning, I think the air temp was mid 70's).

More pressure = more cooling + more lube = less wear... 30 psi hot is where I would expect to see a wore out engine due for overhaul because it can't be bumped up anymore.

rowdy1
Southern Airboat Member

Post by rowdy1 »

I'll re adjust as needed. I haven't gone full power yet, still breaking it in. I should do a full power runs this weekend. Waiting until I get about 3 hours on it.

helicsher
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by helicsher »

My 520 has 40 psi at idle and 60 under power
I was told not to be frog hopping around on brake in
My builder told me to take it in the high grass and get on it !
"Success Requires No Excuses"

Swampbuggy
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Swampbuggy »

With brake in oil mine run 60 psi cold hot idle was 30 - Now cold is 80 idle at 180 running temp Idle 30 running 65 to 70

Return to “Aircraft Power Only”