Rebuild, replace, or convert a 220???

Aircraft powered airboat discussion.
jeepinocala1111
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Re: Rebuild, replace, or convert a 220???

Post by jeepinocala1111 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:19 pm

CactusJack wrote:
Deano wrote:Well CJack, since you are back semi-regular I guess you got moved and unpacked?
Yup... was a nightmare and had a hip replacement coz it stuffed up after the move... have been building gyros again... have started making a ply semi deckover hull to suit Subaru EJ22' s so I can test run gyro motors on the boat and have some fun at the same time :thumbleft:
What brand hip did you get?

CactusJack
Southern Airboat Member

Post by CactusJack » Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:23 pm

jeepinocala1111 wrote:
What brand hip did you get?
I got a GM one... the others weren't good enough :lol: :wink:

Dunno... it is titanium and cost alot... works good :) Havent been thru any metal detectors yet ... I wonder if it will set off alarms? :P
I was told I was wrong, once (not sure I believe it though)
If you can't blind 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with BS
Airboat experience so far, limited to having bolted a gyrocopter to a flat bottom punt.... but THAT.... is about to change, bigtime :-)

In the Glades
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by In the Glades » Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:01 pm

I started replacing jugs on my worn out 220 and the builder simply didn't want to sell them to me because he knew I'd be converting at some point and it was a waste of money. The parts are getting more and more expensive for 220's.

Go 470 conversion and you'll be very happy. I put a 470 on my boat and its night and day difference.

I personally wouldn't do a lot of work to a worn out 220. Either keep it topped off with oil and keep spare plugs/sandpaper/brake cleaner on the boat or convert.
BCAHCC Member

Return to “Aircraft Power Only”