Suggestions on 0470 R

Aircraft powered airboat discussion.
Austin h
Southern Airboat Member

Suggestions on 0470 R

Post by Austin h » Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:22 pm

Looking to buy an O-470 R just overhauled out of an airplane completely redone honed cylinders and all ready to mount on a boat minus the prop comes with warranty for 6000 good or bad deal??? Anything helps don't know much about these motors.

jeepinocala1111
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Re: Suggestions on 0470 R

Post by jeepinocala1111 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:58 am

Austin h wrote:Looking to buy an O-470 R just overhauled out of an airplane completely redone honed cylinders and all ready to mount on a boat minus the prop comes with warranty for 6000 good or bad deal??? Anything helps don't know much about these motors.
If it is redone to airplane specs with paperwork it is a good deal.

Austin h
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Austin h » Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:59 am

jeepinocala1111 wrote:
Austin h wrote:Looking to buy an O-470 R just overhauled out of an airplane completely redone honed cylinders and all ready to mount on a boat minus the prop comes with warranty for 6000 good or bad deal??? Anything helps don't know much about these motors.
If it is redone to airplane specs with paperwork it is a good deal.

How reliable of a motor is it compared to other Continental Ac motors?

dshaw94
Southern Airboat Member

Post by dshaw94 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:35 am

I would say 6k for a truly airworthy overhaul on a 470 is a very very good deal. Unfortunately, I'm almost certain that's not what you are looking at. There is a lot of variability in value of aircraft engines, and a lot of that is in certification (paper work).
We all got it coming, kid. (William Money)

mojoe
Southern Airboat Member

Post by mojoe » Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:10 pm

The big question is who did the work and who stands behind the warranty?

Did they do top and bottom or just top end?

If it is a reputable company that did the work and you have faith in the warranty, it is a good deal.

I spent quite a bit more than that for a beat up hull, an old trailer, rusted out rigging and a freshly overhauled (top, bottom and mags) motor with paperwork on the overhaul and the mechanic verifying everything.

So: maybe a good deal, maybe not
Mark 7:9

Southern Style
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Southern Style » Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:39 pm

mojoe wrote:The big question is who did the work and who stands behind the warranty?

Did they do top and bottom or just top end?

If it is a reputable company that did the work and you have faith in the warranty, it is a good deal.

I spent quite a bit more than that for a beat up hull, an old trailer, rusted out rigging and a freshly overhauled (top, bottom and mags) motor with paperwork on the overhaul and the mechanic verifying everything.

So: maybe a good deal, maybe not

I agree... I run a O470-R and mine is a real good motor.. It does what I want it to.. Have seen them for less, but if it has truly been overhauled, top and bottom, and reliable source, then its a motor that will last you..
DONT ARGUE WITH STUPIDITY...THEY WILL JUST DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL, AND BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.....
KRVSA Member
SJRAA Member
KCCO

Return to “Aircraft Power Only”