O-235 for Caddell's mini

Aircraft powered airboat discussion.
Caddellwelding
Southern Airboat Member

O-235 for Caddell's mini

Postby Caddellwelding » Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:29 am

I found a 108hp lycoming for sale. What I'm curious about is how powerful will the motor be. Is it enough motor for my 6' X 12' all allum? That's a little over double the horsepower what I'm running now, and top speed is 36mph. That's with 2, 230lb guys, ice chest and fishing gear. Obviously it won't run dry. My plan is to add lycoming(whichever is best) add polymer and stick with it. If I need to go bigger that's fine. I just want power!!!!! Lol my boat right now weighs 525lbs. After I add motor let's just say it weighs 700lbs, and that's a little high, but what do I need to be able to have the ability to run!!!! Thanks guys, I appreciate all the help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Olf Art
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Re: O-235 for Caddell's mini

Postby Olf Art » Sat Jul 23, 2016 1:31 am

An O-235 isn't really a 'mini' motor. Yes it's a small engine, but I've spent many hours aloft behind a much smaller engine (an A-65 Continental), and I guess my question to you is ....... why is your hull only 6' wide? You don't have enough reserve flotation to safely navigate with more horsepower right now in my opinion. Just my thoughts.
"I know not what tomorrow may bring, but I know Who brings tomorrow."
Member: KRVSA, FAA, TAA, and life member NRA and VFW

happy harold
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby happy harold » Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:04 am

olf art is right. a wide boat will handle the load better and in most cases plane off easier. also a o-360 is basically the same weight with twice the horse power, and will do a waay better job of carrying the extra load.

Deano
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Postby Deano » Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:06 am

I have an old airgator that's a fat 11 long and a skinny 6 wide. It is very similar to yours although admittedly a it's probably a little heavier. It has an O-290 that is sporting 435 angle valve cylinders and the prerequisite oiling mods, and runs very well. The boat is a blast to drive as it is very much a slider.

The drawback is in its lack of beam; it is to narrow. This consequently makes it much more of a project and requires much more laboring of the engine to get it on top and plane than it should. It acts as though it is under powered, in spite of the fact that it really is not. Once on top, it performs just fine and is very serviceable for its lack of size. The other noteworthy observation to be made is that once on a plane, it requires more rpms to maintain that plane than it would if it had a larger beam.

All in all, there is no question that it would perform much better (and not like it was under powered) if it were on a lighter, larger hull with a wider beam. Knowing this and already having that hull, I would not consider using less than an O-320 on the what you currently you have.

You will also find that some, if not most parts are more expensive than their counterparts on the 320 and 360 engines. When/if you need to buy a set of rings, you would be scratching your head asking "What the hell was I thinking?".

The weight difference between them all is less than negligible and no matter what you do out of the gate, you will ultimately want and be able to use more power.

If I were in your position I would look at any deal on anything less than an O-320 as being no deal for me at all, and then knowingly smile as continued my search for a 320 or 360 engine.
"The suppression of uncomfortable ideas may be common in religion and politics,
but it is not the path to knowledge; it has no place in the endeavor of science."
- Carl Sagan

Caddellwelding
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Caddellwelding » Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:31 pm

My boat planes really quick right now. I just need to be able to run dry since the river is so low. I hate having to push! Lol O-360 is what I'll look for. Thanks

Olf Art
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby Olf Art » Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:16 pm

Caddellwelding wrote:My boat planes really quick right now. I just need to be able to run dry since the river is so low. I hate having to push! Lol O-360 is what I'll look for.

You've missed the point I was trying to make. Instead of looking for an O-360 (your engine sounds like it has plenty of power if it 'planes quick'} like you say, why not just look around for another, wider hull and drop your rigging into it? In my opinion that would be a much quicker, safer, and less expensive option than trying to up your horsepower. Good luck.

Caddellwelding
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Caddellwelding » Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:37 pm

O-320 will be done in three weeks!

Bdriller
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby Bdriller » Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:35 pm

Jmo, but hull is skinny and short, with heavy overkill aluminum metal work for cage and engine stand, combine that with bad under powerd motor choice, you will be back posting within 3 months after you get it on the waterfront the next step you propose! THis ain't rocket science, start your build from ground up!

Olf Art
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby Olf Art » Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:07 am

Bdriller wrote:Jmo, but hull is skinny and short, with heavy overkill aluminum metal work for cage and engine stand, combine that with bad under powerd motor choice, you will be back posting within 3 months after you get it on the waterfront the next step you propose! THis ain't rocket science, start your build from ground up!

Yup. Stubborn is as stubborn does. Some folks just gotta learn the hard way. Some never learn.

Bdriller
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby Bdriller » Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:24 pm

Bdriller wrote:Jmo, but hull is skinny and short, with heavy overkill aluminum metal work for cage and engine stand, combine that with bad under powerd motor choice, you will be back posting within 3 months after you get it on the waterfront the next step you propose! THis ain't rocket science, start your build from ground up!

and why are people always trying to reinvent the wheel? great airboat combinations have been around for a long time, nobodys gonna get theyre feelings hurt if somebody copys a good platform of weight distribution verse running surface verse horsepower!!

Caddellwelding
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Caddellwelding » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:17 pm

First off I'm not trying to reinvent the wheel! What I'm doing is taking my ideas and making it perform! I'm running a 50hp rotax that most said it wouldn't perform! It runs 36mph with 2- 230lb guys!!!! Show me what you've built, from scratch, and don't forget a pic of "your" boat! Anyone can buy the parts and just bolt it together! Secondly, this is a forum! You're suppose to ask questions and try different ideas. Guys like you two are the ones that don't have a boat, or if you do someone else built it! My bad..... You bolted it together! Cause why on earth would someone want to change the wheel!

Caddellwelding
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Caddellwelding » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:46 pm

I bet all the big airboat builders never changed anything up. If that's the case we all would be rollin around on rock wheels still! Man wouldn't that be fun!...... Hey man that's a good lookin boat! Oh thanks! I copied someone else's hard work! Are you kidding me????! You guys make me laugh! [FACE THROWING A KISS]

nebraskaairboater
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby nebraskaairboater » Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:52 am

I can't remember, did you put anything on the bottom of your hull? (Poly or slick bottom) If not, bare aluminum sticks to wet sand like crazy. Just a thought to help running dry even with your new motor. Had a guy here with a bare aluminum hull with 800 or so HP that it seemed if it even looked at the sand it was stuck. All his power didn't matter at that point.
Dan Porter, Jr.
Fremont, NE
16 x 8 1971 Flat Bottom Fiberglass Hull / 454 Chevy/ 2.38:1 OX Drive / 80" 3-Blade Sensenich S

Deano
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Postby Deano » Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:45 pm

This is a very valid point, and one worthy of serious consideration. :idea:
"The suppression of uncomfortable ideas may be common in religion and politics,
but it is not the path to knowledge; it has no place in the endeavor of science."
- Carl Sagan

Bdriller
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby Bdriller » Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:04 pm

Caddellwelding wrote:I bet all the big airboat builders never changed anything up. If that's the case we all would be rollin around on rock wheels still! Man wouldn't that be fun!...... Hey man that's a good lookin boat! Oh thanks! I copied someone else's hard work! Are you kidding me????! You guys make me laugh! [FACE THROWING A KISS]

not trying to piss up your pant leg man, but its obvious your boys are involved in the boating and that's a good thing, I did however hope that I could rattle your cage enough that you might go study some proven airboat build platforms that are safe and will perform to suit your needs. A 320 on that hull will be plenty of power but I don't think the hull will be plenty of hull for a 320 as far as being family safe, there is no substitution for width on an airboat which has been stated by numerous people, and take note that the smaller the hull displacement the more critical the weight factor comes into play and I can clearly see that your engine stand and cage is way over the top as far as strength and weight, everybody thinks aluminum is light and it is if you compare it apples to apples but you have as much structure as most 600 hp belt drive rigs and even those are way over built as far as weight, we weighed the cage on a aluminum build belt drive texas boat and it weighed more than my entire metal works on a 8x14 300 hp boat that will safely take 4-5 people on a 50 mile trip slow cruising at 25-30mph and burn 12 to 15 gallons and cross any sand bar we come to even if its 300 feet across safely, and I'm not bragging because there are a lot of boats I know of that will outshine this boat. A good rule of thumb is when your cruising reguardless of the load you have you should have at least 30% power reserve under your gas pedal for getting out of trouble, good luck we might see you sometime on the river were not far from you.

Caddellwelding
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Caddellwelding » Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:29 pm

I put QuickSlick. Works great! We have some spots were the bottom of the river is shell. When it's fairly new it works great! Kind of hard to keep it on with running over shell ripples.

Caddellwelding
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Caddellwelding » Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:37 pm

Yes I have to much on the engine stand. But it being my first build I felt like I needed to go a little over then not have enough. I'm currently building a whole new boat and probably going to make it wider than my first one to accommodate the bigger motor. Less is more in a lot of situations. I really do appreciate the positive information. I'm ate up with building airboats already and I've only built one. This new one will have poly and be 3/4 decking. The plan is to build the riggin out of stainless. Hit me up 580-554-8787 I should have new build done in a few months if not faster!

Caddellwelding
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Caddellwelding » Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:41 pm

I study a lot of others builds just to have a better start. I'm just a welder that likes to do it different. There's a market up here for smaller airboats. Since my main business is in the oilfield this is just a hobby. Wish like hell I could built boats for a living, and make
Money! It's a blast and it's even better when a plan comes together!

Caddellwelding
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Caddellwelding » Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:55 am

Question: so a 12'x7' would be the best size of hull for this O-320?

PeaRiverOpossum
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Postby PeaRiverOpossum » Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:31 pm

Caddellwelding wrote:Question: so a 12'x7' would be the best size of hull for this O-320?

I've got an O360 on a 12x7 and I love it. Boat will go anywhere you point it.

Caddellwelding
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Caddellwelding » Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:52 pm

PeaRiverOpossum wrote:
Caddellwelding wrote:Question: so a 12'x7' would be the best size of hull for this O-320?

I've got an O360 on a 12x7 and I love it. Boat will go anywhere you point it.
What size of Polly you running

PeaRiverOpossum
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Postby PeaRiverOpossum » Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:52 pm

Riveted .250".

Caddellwelding
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Caddellwelding » Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:00 am

What mufflers should I run on the O-320 motor?

PeaRiverOpossum
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Postby PeaRiverOpossum » Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:02 am

www.airboatmufflers.com is what's on mine. Fine by me so far. They seem to be good quality.

Return to “Aircraft Power Only”