considering a GSO 480 for my 12 ft sled ?

Aircraft powered airboat discussion.
lilly-Pad
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

considering a GSO 480 for my 12 ft sled ?

Post by lilly-Pad »

I currently have a 12ft sled with a Lycoming 4 cylinder. I have been wanting to add some power and have the opportunity to pick up a GSO480 at what seems like a good $. My boat had a 6 cylinder A/C motor on it before me but it was not geared or supercharged. My concern is mainly the length, if I have to get all new rigging to accommodate it , defeats the savings ? I am wondering if maybe I am over doing it with the gear box and supper charger, wondering if I am not better of with a 540?
12 ft Don Davis / 0470 conv / 68 NGQ , A.A.O.F member

Best laid plans of mice and men, wont always get you laid.............

Gary S
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Re: considering a GSO 480 for my 12 ft sled ?

Post by Gary S »

How much fuel does the 480 burn?

jeepinocala1111
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by jeepinocala1111 »

lilly-Pad wrote:I currently have a 12ft sled with a Lycoming 4 cylinder. I have been wanting to add some power and have the opportunity to pick up a GSO480 at what seems like a good $. My boat had a 6 cylinder A/C motor on it before me but it was not geared or supercharged. My concern is mainly the length, if I have to get all new rigging to accommodate it , defeats the savings ? I am wondering if maybe I am over doing it with the gear box and supper charger, wondering if I am not better of with a 540?
I was told by very dependable ac engine people who have done this all their life to stay away from that engine that it will be a lot of headaches. :dontknow:

digginfool
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by digginfool »

When I went from the O-320 to the 540, it was all the difference in the world and should be for you, too. A good running GSO-480 is badass but they can be a real bear. Plus, from what I understand, you would be wise to have the motor thoroughly checked out before buying it. Very expensive motor to repair and lots of parts that might be wore out. To me, you would be better served with the 540.
“When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it” - Bastiat

Superduty88
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Superduty88 »

Never can go wrong with a good running 540
12x8 Aluminum deckover step with a LS2 2.37 rotator 78 3blade R
11x7 Aluminum sled fresh 0435 6 blade warp

lilly-Pad
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by lilly-Pad »

I do appreciate the feed back gentlemen one of the many great things on this site.

Gary not sure how they are on gas but I bet more than my 4 banger for sure.

Jeep I have heard something to that from the old timer that works on my motor.

Digging that is exactly where I am 0320 and ready for more lol, boat does all I need it to with just me and keeps up with most even with a passenger but 3 people two coolers (only happens very rarely) and we need more juice.

I hear U Alex, that will probably be the way I go with it (lord willing and nothing else comes up) . We need to get out and ride some.............

Deano
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by Deano »

Guess I got back to late, but I agree with the consensus.

I don't think there is any IF involved about replacing your rigging. I also think you would be surprised just how short your hull would become after you put that GSO on it. :shock:

I have a buddy with one and it's an animal when it feels good, but it is well past being a little temperamental.

Given the power available from a 540 and how often you (don't) need more than you have, if you went with the GSO, I have no doubt that in retrospect you would wish that you didn't have that perpetual fuel bill.
"The suppression of uncomfortable ideas may be common in religion and politics,
but it is not the path to knowledge; it has no place in the endeavor of science."
- Carl Sagan

kwanjangnihm
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by kwanjangnihm »

dont listen to those other posters, a supercharged lycoming is sexy and chics dig'em!!! :toothy7: :salute: :thumbleft:
He'll cut your throat, baby, stick you in the back, drive off in your Cadillac.
He's more trouble than you think, he'll kill your sugar, leave you in the drink.

lorick
Southern Airboat Member

Post by lorick »

You may have to eat fried bologna sandwiches on light bread but who cares you got a supercharged awesome go for it

glades cat
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by glades cat »

Ish, we may have to climb the levee and cross the road to get away from the man when we can no longer ride in the park and are being chased. Better have some decent power in reserve. Lol
"Leave a legacy...Preserve the irreplaceable"
12' x 7' sled built by Scorpion, Cont. O-470-K, 72" Whisper Tip
Rigged by Gladescat & sons in 2009

Cherpa
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Cherpa »

Why not an 0-360 ? 200 hp
Still 4 cyl. and you don't have to change the rigging.
We grow too soon old and too late smart.

lilly-Pad
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by lilly-Pad »

Hey Deano yours seems to be the voice of reason.

Lorick and Kwan, I hear you just saying supercharger feels fast lol

Rick you read my mind brother, I was really thinking hammer down with the fuzz hopefully fading in the distance.

Paul as best as I can tell I have an 0320 with 0360 jugs, but I figure two more pistons might be just the thing.

I think the gso 480 prob not best fit for me at this time. Looks like I might start looking for 0540 and all I will need to change on the boat is the motor stand. :toothy7: :toothy7:

One Eyed Gator
Southern Airboat Member

Post by One Eyed Gator »

Not sure how to post the photo but there was a guy junior480 that posted a good bit, he built a small sled with a SC motor. Don't know him but the ride he built is Bad Azz looking for sure. How practical is another thing. It looks fast just sitting there.

longshot123
Southern Airboat Member

Post by longshot123 »

I would think that a 12ft hull is not long enough for that set up.

Davie GSO480
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Davie GSO480 »

The GSO 480, is heavy..500 pounds+
If it has a gear box, its very long...Andy's boat DD, built was 14' long. The rear seat will have Carb clearance issues.
Without a gear box, it has no internal thrust bearing.....
The supercharger seal is very expensive..800+ If you can find one, I sold 2 to Jr a few years ago

It WILL burn twice the fuel a 540 burns, mine was crazy on drinking gas...but it would haul the mail too. A lap at club, landing to crandons, back around indian head to club...it would burn 13 gal. My 540 burns 5, my LS burns 4..crazy
Its because you gotta run then rich to cool.

It will run the hill, go over the hill, go thru the hill......lol

It your buying a used one, run it to operating tempture and check the oil pressure reading, its a dry sump system, with external oil tank. Look at oil pressure at idle! Bearings, and oil cooling nossels are issues.

In stock trim its a 7.3 to 1 compression ratio(340hp), changing to the 9 to 1 flat top pistons will wake it up.(maybe 380 hp)

It turns 3400 rpms, and at that rpm + the boost will get the cylinders HOT. Cylinder shrowd nessary

An angle valve 540 with 10 to 1 compression, correct carb, prop, a good bottom ...and timing will run with it all day. (maybe 310 hp)
anyway................
Good Luck.
Last edited by Davie GSO480 on Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Proud member of the Airboat Association of Florida.
A Miami Landmark sense 1951
http://www.aaof.com

Rich Andrews
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Rich Andrews »

says it all...
Big Ole Deckover in the making...

Gary S
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Gary S »

didn't want to bad mouth the 480 so I brought up the fuel issue. The 540 will wake that boat up. And if set up right and you keep your foot out of it, will run economical.

digginfool
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by digginfool »

Gary S wrote:The 540 will wake that boat up. And if set up right and you keep your foot out of it, will run economical.
That's the truth about the 540. If I keep my foot out of it, I get way better mileage than I ever got with the 320. But when I start to play, the fuel goes away in a big hurry.
“When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it” - Bastiat

406 JAMIE
Southern Airboat Member

Post by 406 JAMIE »

well sir u could just take supercharger off and gearbox and sell them and get maybe enuff money to go threw ur 480 and ur boat will still be everything u want on 12ft sled and then some.if that gso480 is cheap enuff.just food for thought.y all besafe . :rebel: :rebel:
Melbourne Mud Mafia Down And Dirty

bignasty1
Southern Airboat Member

Post by bignasty1 »

I have. gSO 480 on my 12' Taylor Hull. I love it, It is a Very Fast and powerful engine. It does burn some fuel if you keep you foot in it. But you can't take it with you. I'd go for it. You only live once

timmmyy
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by timmmyy »

x2 on Davie gso480 and yes stay away from GSO480 ,buy a IO 540 av motor with 10 to 1 compression pistons .
Olways on the furst date

Return to “Aircraft Power Only”