Advice and Education needed on 6 cyl Lycoming

Aircraft powered airboat discussion.
HASBEEN
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Advice and Education needed on 6 cyl Lycoming

Post by HASBEEN »

Let me start this request with a disclaimer that I know very little about Aircraft engines.

I have a 6 cylinder Lycoming that has been sitting up in a friend`s shop for years. He has recently sold his last airplane and has no use for the engine. It was supposedly a fully functional engine when removed from the airplane. Yeah right.... :lol:

If, it was, or can be made serviceable with some work, what size boat, prop, seat/rigging set up would it support dependably?

Any advice is welcome.....even critical advice :violent1:

The Tag says it is GO435 C2

I will try to post a few pics if I can remember how.

[imghttps://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a7db31b3127cceef413335f94300000030O0wAZtWjRm3cNmbUHt58O/cC/f%3D0/ls%3D00536873445320170510154431825.JPG/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/][/img]

:cheers:
15x7 Cyclone, 454 BBC Junkyard Motor / 2-1 Belt Drive/ 2 Blade 79" WhirlWind RQ/ Water Walker Hub

BRAB46

No Abla anything but AMERICAN

"When the Sun comes up, you better be running"

406 JAMIE
Southern Airboat Member

Re: Advice and Education needed on 6 cyl Lycoming

Post by 406 JAMIE »

there r still some here in fla runing these motors.
I would say a 12x7 hull alumn 2seater with that gearbox on that motor would do real good on dry and on fuel and i would say a nice 2 bld 70-72 inch prop and then get the starter flywheel and alt kit from clay.and build riggin out of S/S.
Do a leak down test on it spray some PB BLASTER down each cyclinder before u start to roll it around to bring up compression to see what PSI u have.hopefully twister69 or greg or justin will see this and help they r real good with aircraft engines and mags.hope this helps besafe. :rebel: :rebel:
Melbourne Mud Mafia Down And Dirty

twister69z
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by twister69z »

Going to defer to Justin Ficken
If you don't have time to do it right the first time ,
Where are you going to get the time to do it a second time?

terrible ted
Southern Airboat Member

Post by terrible ted »

With a gear? what hp? I rum a helicopter 540 originally 305 hp. I raised the compression. I love to revert it to a gear box I would also go down to a 13 x 8 or 7.6 ultralight hull. A gear box usally means a bigger prop-longer and lower rps. I call cecil in melbourn that's his style motor.
321 403 7429

Deano
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by Deano »

I have been under the impression that the 435s were good, reliable engines, but where on the heavy side for the power produced. That in and of itself is what it is, but the more relevant factor may well be the expense of acquiring some parts when and if they are needed. I can say from first hand experience that the folks that have rings to fit those cylinders are quite proud of them. I have a 290 that was redone with 435 cylinders, and one set of rings for the rebuilt cylinder it needed cost damn near what the rebuilt cylinder did.

If that is representative of how parts go for that engine, then there is little wonder to me why it was the last one unused by a guy that had other alternatives at hand.

If it were me, I would do compression and leak down tests on it before I committed to much toward that cause. It may be prudent to at least determine what it may need and price/source the parts before jumping in with both proverbial feet.
"The suppression of uncomfortable ideas may be common in religion and politics,
but it is not the path to knowledge; it has no place in the endeavor of science."
- Carl Sagan

HASBEEN
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by HASBEEN »

I appreciate the input, being a "Carmotor" guy ( my training wheels boat was an old Panther with 455 Buick DD....wish I had it back :banghead: and My current is a BBC 15x7 no frills "good boat"........but the few
AC powered boats that I have run with on the Brazos.....Really Impressed Me.

Deano, I have read posts about the "leak down" test and will search/research SA and proceed with that effort.

My 15x7 Cyclone had an Aircraft engine when it left the plant as new.....it was left out in the weather with no covers/ air cleaner and rained in for years...trashed the engine.

I promptly gave it to an AC buddy, and put what I`m comfortable with on it.....yeah shame on me ...carmotor :stirpot:

The Brazos is hard on big boats :scratch: I`m thinking that an ample powered, smaller boat,( like you suggested 406jamie) may be fun and easier to maintain. :dontknow:

Again, thank you Fellars for the input.

Hasbeen
15x7 Cyclone, 454 BBC Junkyard Motor / 2-1 Belt Drive/ 2 Blade 79" WhirlWind RQ/ Water Walker Hub

BRAB46

BANANA BOAT
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by BANANA BOAT »

it's a glorified vw engine

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Southern Airboat mobile app powered by Tapatalk

HASBEEN
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by HASBEEN »

I found an interesting container full of part included with this engine :cheers:

A "Hartzell Hyro Select" hub assembly and 2 blade aluminum prop.

Pretty cool technology.

I will try to evaluate what I have in more detail as time allows.

Hasbeen

BRAB46

Return to “Aircraft Power Only”