Is adding dual plugs worth it? 220 GPU?

Aircraft powered airboat discussion.
CypressHunter
Southern Airboat Member

Is adding dual plugs worth it? 220 GPU?

Post by CypressHunter » Mon May 29, 2017 7:32 am

I am just wondering is adding another spark plug is worth it? Thinking about doing it and maybe switching to pacemaker ignition
13' 6'' Cotton Mouth 220 GPU 70'' signature series

GMAC 76
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Re: Is adding dual plugs worth it? 220 GPU?

Post by GMAC 76 » Mon May 29, 2017 10:16 am

IMO.....a lot of money for not a lot in return.

jopete
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by jopete » Mon May 29, 2017 9:50 pm

I guess it all depends on what u want to do with your airboat.
the simplicity of having 1 mag and only 6 plugs to worry about is a huge plus to me. I use my boat to hunt/frog and it gets treated accordingly. I love my gpu.
just me, but i'd get better pistons before another mag. and it would take a lot to make me do anything.

good luck whatever u choose.

CypressHunter
Southern Airboat Member

Post by CypressHunter » Tue May 30, 2017 11:28 am

jopete wrote:I guess it all depends on what u want to do with your airboat.
the simplicity of having 1 mag and only 6 plugs to worry about is a huge plus to me. I use my boat to hunt/frog and it gets treated accordingly. I love my gpu.
just me, but i'd get better pistons before another mag. and it would take a lot to make me do anything.

good luck whatever u choose.
I already got 535133 pistons in it. Boat runs good. Just battling the typical oil usage of a GPU. I love my motor too. I hear going to pacemaker is like night and day. My thought behind it is if I do go that route in the future I'll already had it set up for a second plug. Why not add it.

Barry830
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Barry830 » Tue May 30, 2017 1:25 pm

IMO....well worth it if your are going to 520 cylinders.

kwanjangnihm
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by kwanjangnihm » Tue May 30, 2017 2:16 pm

CypressHunter what plugs are you running and what is the gap?
" I don't care who you are back in the world, you give away our position one more time, I'll bleed ya, real quiet. Leave ya here. Got that? "

CypressHunter
Southern Airboat Member

Post by CypressHunter » Tue May 30, 2017 4:30 pm

kwanjangnihm wrote:CypressHunter what plugs are you running and what is the gap?
Champion D16 at .024 I think. I was running them at .018 but kept fouling plugs if I ran it hard. Someone told me to try the D20 and my motor got too hot and cracked a valve seat

kwanjangnihm
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by kwanjangnihm » Tue May 30, 2017 6:40 pm

" I don't care who you are back in the world, you give away our position one more time, I'll bleed ya, real quiet. Leave ya here. Got that? "

John Fenner
Southern Airboat Member

Post by John Fenner » Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:15 am

Well, I can tell you, i ran against a guy in my boat with one mag off by mistake and he got me by a boat, ran same boat again with both mags on and jumped him out of the hole and walked away 4-5 boats ahead.
Also having 2 mags has the advantage of getting back to the ramp or camp should one mag die.
I built a setup that bolted in place of removed valve cover that drilled and counterbored cylinder head for bottom plug hole with engine assembled, plus a fixture that drilled for drive gear pin in the case with engine assembed, those tools are at Don 's in homestead.
I never finish anyth,,,.

Deano
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by Deano » Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:24 am

That is about the best hands on, before/after analogy that I've ever heard.

Don't know if everyone should expect those type results though.
I strongly suspect yours was better built and tuned than most running around. :)
"The suppression of uncomfortable ideas may be common in religion and politics,
but it is not the path to knowledge; it has no place in the endeavor of science."
- Carl Sagan

chuckitt@earthlink.net
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by chuckitt@earthlink.net » Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:24 am

Dual Mags will not produce any more power than a single mag. With dual mags you must reduce the timing to 25 degrees. Doing this and switching one mag off drops your timing to 20 degrees. This is proven by studying the RATE OF COMBUSTION. It takes longer for the fuel to burn all the way across the cylinder with one mag allowing you to run 30 degrees timing.
When running dual mags, the fuel burn has to meet in the middle of the cylinder so they have to be timed perfect. If not timed perfect, the plug that fires first burns all the fuel and the second spark burns nothing leaving you with the power of timing of 20 degrees.
1. One Mag motors may be up to 30 lbs less weight than dual mag motors.
2. Racers try to get as much timing as possible without creating detonation.
3. Dual mags are a must when running exotic fuels and nitrous. Also when installed in airplanes.
4. For the best power gain, try 3 into 1 tuned headers with the down tubes 30 to 32 inches long, merge collector and 2.25 muffler. pick up 14 to 20 more HP.
Note: if I were running 520 jugs, I would run one mag and plug the bottom spark plug holes. Set the timing at 30 degrees.

Thank you, Chuck

Planeguy
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Planeguy » Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:55 pm

You might check into E-Mag. It is an electronic ignition set up that replaces the mag. Shouldn't cost much more than adding a mag but should give you way better performance than mags. The E-mag produces it's own power once the engine is running and is designed to run with automotive spark plugs and harness. They even have a hand propping option if that is a concern. It could replace the existing mag or be added. There have been some great reviews in the aviation side about them.

Return to “Aircraft Power Only”