NEW 1-piece liquid cooled cylinder blocks for Lyc 360 & 540

Aircraft powered airboat discussion.
goatherder
Southern Airboat Member

NEW 1-piece liquid cooled cylinder blocks for Lyc 360 & 540

Post by goatherder » Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:59 am

There will be new product coming to market soon which I believe would significantly enhance the durability of aircraft engines used on airboats. It is a two or three cylinder one piece monobloc that bolts to a Lycoming case and incorporates both the cylinder and head. Liquid cooling. Integral pushrod tubes. It looks to me like you would install the valve train, then just slide this thing down over the Pistons and bolt it to the case. I don't know what the price point will be, but I am told it will be "competitive", whatever that means. They also sell crankshafts, conrods, and pistons for Lycoming's. Expensive, high-end stuff.

The designers name is Andrew Higgs. He is an engine designer who apparently was involved with Formula One cars. He has recently turned his attention to Aircraft, and is involved with air racing at Reno, etc. He has a bunch of pictures on his Facebook page. He seems to like to answer questions about them, and responds pretty quickly to questions. A search on Facebook will bring him up.

I will try to post a picture of this. FYI I am in no way affiliated, just trying to share something I think might be helpful

goatherder
Southern Airboat Member

Re: NEW 1-piece liquid cooled cylinder blocks for Lyc 360 & 540

Post by goatherder » Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:10 am

I will try to post a picture again. I'm on a fishing boat in the Bering Sea, and my Internet is really sketchy
Last edited by goatherder on Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GMAC 76
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by GMAC 76 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:05 am

OH BOY....$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

kwanjangnihm
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by kwanjangnihm » Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:26 am

goatherder what are you after? (king crab, mackerel, cod) :toothy7:
better have a good haul to afford those cylinders!! :salute:
" I don't care who you are back in the world, you give away our position one more time, I'll bleed ya, real quiet. Leave ya here. Got that? "

mojoe
Southern Airboat Member

Post by mojoe » Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:30 am

Interesting in a "can it be done" sort of way. Switching to water cooled adds complication and weight which both are negatives. If it is all 1 piece, you also loose the simplicity and lower expense of only having to fix the one cylinder that has a problem. At a minimum, you are spending time and seals that wouldnt have needed to be spent if they were all separate like originally designed.

So the question is, why?
Mark 7:9

goatherder
Southern Airboat Member

Post by goatherder » Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:49 pm

I am on a factory long liner fishing for cod. At about 60N 175W

The advantage to this set up would be that it creates a much more solid, stable power unit. Liquid cooling even the heat out throughout the motor and serves to eliminate hotspots. This will make the thing last longer and take more abuse. Dirtbike manufacturers figured this out along time ago.

I don't need the cylinders, I'm not even an airboater. I'm on this forum because I'm building a pusher aircraft, and I'm using a car motor. All-aluminum 4.3 V6 w/ Rotator 1.53... which will do the same work on the back of my plane that it would do on the back of an airboat. Much bigger knowledge base for my application on this forum than any of the aviation forums.

mojoe
Southern Airboat Member

Post by mojoe » Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:54 pm

goatherder wrote:I am on a factory long liner fishing for cod. At about 60N 175W I'm on this forum because I'm building a pusher aircraft, and I'm using a car motor. All-aluminum 4.3 V6 w/ Rotator 1.53...
Cool! Post pics when it's done.
Mark 7:9

Bonefish
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by Bonefish » Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:06 pm

In the early 1980s we saw a liquid cooled Continental installed in a inboard boat application. The cylinders had been modified for a water jacket.

Return to “Aircraft Power Only”