Narrowing down a boat selection

Aircraft powered airboat discussion.
Keeth1123
Southern Airboat Member

Narrowing down a boat selection

Postby Keeth1123 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:42 pm

Been tossing around the idea of buying another airboat or a mud boat. Problem with the mud boat is, I cant get into all of the places to go on the Kissimmee Chain, which is why I am leaning towards an airboat. I'm not looking to run dry all day, but it would be nice to not have to worry about running out of water.

I have never owned an A/C boat or a boat which could run ground everywhere. I would like a boat 12 to 13 feet which can run ground with 2 people (500 LBS), cooler, small amount of gear. Is it possible to get this while spending no more than 10,000.00?

I have seen an older 180 for sale on here for 6K. Have also seen a nice looking 470 for 8K.

Would either of these be up to the task.

:fishing
:old_glory:

SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Re: Narrowing down a boat selection

Postby SWAMPHUNTER45 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:46 pm

A 13ft Jimmy White or similar hull with a good 472 or 500 Cadillac will fit that purpose exceptionally well.

blackpowderscout
Southern Airboat Member

Postby blackpowderscout » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:52 pm

Yes. It's certainly possible to find an A/C boat that'll do all that for that price. Might have to sit on your money awhile until one pops up, but they do.

I'd go with at least O470 (if it's the right O470, there's a bunch of different ones some far stronger than others) but I have never had anything smaller than that so I can't say how the 180 would do.
"Friends don't let friends hunt with inlines."

NRA Life
Traditional Blackpowder Hunting? http://traditionalblackpowderhunting.com/

Keeth1123
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Keeth1123 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:37 pm

I’ve always wanted a 470. My buddies dad had one and it was really strong. What are the better ones to look for?

Mossy Cypress
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Mossy Cypress » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:17 pm

I have a 180 lycoming on a 12ft glass boat and with 2 people,small cooler and some gear can get everywhere I need to go, I've never riden Kissimmee chain so not sure what kinda terrain your gonna ride, but I did just reread your post and your 2 passenders are 500lbs, 6 cylinder or car motor for sure.

mojoe
Southern Airboat Member

Postby mojoe » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:25 pm

X2. Sit on your money and watch. You can get a damn fine running AC boat for that price.

From what I have seen, most healthy 6cyl AC motors on a reasonably rigged 12’ish boat will run dry for miles without missing a lick.

I run a SV 540 on a 12’ aluminum that will take my 220lb and my buddies 220lb plus a reasonable cooler anywhere we want to go.

That is what they (6cyl AC boats) do very very well. Just a driver, a small cooler and a half tank of gas and it feels like an overpowered toy. Run for miles dry and never break a sweat. A couple grown men with a cooler will go anywhere but you will have to stomp here and there... But that is the max load for a typical 6 cyl to do what it does WELL.

You mentioned 2 dudes weighing 500. That weight with the cooler I expect to accompany, plus a full tank on enough hull to float that load and you really are going to be much happier with a 290-300ish hp motor. AV or a 550.

AC motors really shine when they are set up run dry under 2200 RPM with a typical load. I see a lot of guys push their boats harder than that and it works. But if you can find something that runs dry with a typical load on typical ground around that RPM, you will likely have a boat that can reliably run dry for miles without working too hard and with enough pedal to get you out of trouble WHEN you find yourself in it.

There are a lot of boats out there that fit the bill in that price range. They don’t sit around long. Be patient.

IMHO: you will be best served to find a bone stock 6cyl with low hours from one of the reputable builders and an owner that runs avgas only. I just haven’t seen many reliable motors that take more than 1 sentence or 2 to describe.
Airboating is like marriage: There are unlimited ways a person can be right, and somehow still be wrong at the same time!!

blackpowderscout
Southern Airboat Member

Postby blackpowderscout » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:06 am

Keeth1123 wrote:I’ve always wanted a 470. My buddies dad had one and it was really strong. What are the better ones to look for?

Take a good look at the data plate and then cross reference that with a google search. There are lots of sources that detail the differences between all the different O-470 models. Don't shy away from the E series motors that have been "converted" with bigger jugs (O-470 or O-520). They can be great motors too that make as much or more power than a bone stock lower HP true O-470. You don't see them as much but I did see one on a boat for sale the other day for 1/2 what your budget is. They are true A/C motors that flew in the sky too. They just look odd. I have one now and I really like it.

And then there are the GPU's. I'll let GPU guys tell you about them because I have never owned one. I've seen some rank ones but I don't know much about them. Might be a little underpowered for you but maybe not.

Adam

NRA Life

Keeth1123
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Keeth1123 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:48 am

How long will 20 gallons of fuel typically last on a 470 or greater. Talking mostly water riding with the occasional pull up on shore to stop.

Rich Andrews
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby Rich Andrews » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:19 am

mine was about 6 to 8 gal per hr riding on a sled
I'll have my Manatee burger medium please...just say NObama

14x8 deckover FELBER 397ci.. HP ???..just stay back!!

LOHA is AHOL backwards

blackpowderscout
Southern Airboat Member

Postby blackpowderscout » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:30 am

I think Rich is right in line with what you could expect. It really depends on several things including how heavy your foot is.

20 gallons plus a couple 5 gallon spares should give you all day fun and some left over if you are cruising in the sweet spot and not in a hurry (and you are stopping and having a cold refreshment now and again). Keep it in the skinny water and you can save a lot of fuel.

My old O470 seemed like it made fuel. It was the best mileage boat I've ever had. My IO520 was the worst, and it was on a much lighter hull with a better prop...

NRA Life

blackpowderscout
Southern Airboat Member

Postby blackpowderscout » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:32 am

Come to the Freedom Ride on Feb 17th at Kissimmee and you can see boats of every size, shape, and color. You'll see what some can do and not do.

NRA Life

mojoe
Southern Airboat Member

Postby mojoe » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:29 am

blackpowderscout wrote:Come to the Freedom Ride on Feb 17th at Kissimmee and you can see boats of every size, shape, and color. You'll see what some can do and not do.

X2
Airboating is like marriage: There are unlimited ways a person can be right, and somehow still be wrong at the same time!!

Alvinlee1915
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Alvinlee1915 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:18 pm

Keeth1123 wrote:Been tossing around the idea of buying another airboat or a mud boat. Problem with the mud boat is, I cant get into all of the places to go on the Kissimmee Chain, which is why I am leaning towards an airboat. I'm not looking to run dry all day, but it would be nice to not have to worry about running out of water.

I have never owned an A/C boat or a boat which could run ground everywhere. I would like a boat 12 to 13 feet which can run ground with 2 people (500 LBS), cooler, small amount of gear. Is it possible to get this while spending no more than 10,000.00?

I have seen an older 180 for sale on here for 6K. Have also seen a nice looking 470 for 8K.

Would either of these be up to the task.

:fishing

Long as you take care of them they'll be fine. Just don't dog them out.

Striker543
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby Striker543 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:44 pm

My 12’ ricochet with an e-185 (has high compression pistons) will do that easily and I’m going to list it for 10k when I sell it in a few months. With just me in it it was breaking free on dry ground at 1800rpms when I road a couple weeks ago. I built it when I lived 10 minutes from the Lake cypress ramp and rode Kissimmee almost exclusively. Now that I’ve moved I’m going to get something bigger for gator hunting and deep water.

Return to “Aircraft Power Only”