plugs and wires

Aircraft powered airboat discussion.
snow bullet
Southern Airboat Member

plugs and wires

Postby snow bullet » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:02 pm

i was thinking of getting rid of my aircraft plugs in my 0520 and putting in some automotive styles plugs
what plugs should i get ?
were do i get a good set of wires ? is there any specifics on the wires

GMAC 76
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Re: plugs and wires

Postby GMAC 76 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:21 am

I like the new autolite #386(wont rust) and the ngk ab 6 for plugs gapped at .022-.024.....make your wires metal core 7mm using copper or aluminum terminals in the mag caps...I like the copper cause you can solder them....I build wires with low profile caps if I can help ya out or napa sells the 7mm wire by the foot and the terminals and boots to make your own

schmidtav2
Site Supporter - VII
Site Supporter - VII

Postby schmidtav2 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:17 am

Schmidt Airboats sells pre-made, ready to install spark plug wire sets for most aircraft engines to use the automotive style spark plugs
Schmidt Airboats
Pompano Beach, FL
954-782-2845

Slidin Gator
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Slidin Gator » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:54 pm

snow bullet,

I wish you had said you had a Lycoming 540 with Bendix 20 mags and wanted to switch from AV to auto plugs, I'd gladly swap you my set up! I included an attachment showing how I built my wire harness, if you really want to go down that path. Honestly, I learned my lesson though since I spent as much on materials as you can buy a set up for (although I see you are in Canada). The big issue with this ignition system is the radio noise that comes from the solid copper wires and non-resistor plugs. I use GPS/VHF dog tracking gear and the radio noise drowns out the dog collars and the system looses track when my motor is running. For my purposes this is a real problem, not only keeping up with the dogs (and keeping them away from the gators), but the fact that I have to shut down quickly without giving the motor a good cool down. The same issue applies with any radio communications gear you might be using.

You will see on the attached that I put shielded braid over the wires and tied them all to ground. I was hoping to shield the ignition system enough to cure the interference, but as soon as I fired the engine back up in the shop I could tell this was a waste of time, I could see the noise on my old tube TV. So, don't waste your time with the shielding unless you like the look, the emf leaks out without shielded plugs.

I am now planning to swap to an AV harness and plug setup before next hunting season specifically to get a fully shielded system, eliminate the interference and eliminate hot shut downs to improve my motor life.
Attachments
Bendix 20 Mag - Plug Wire Harness.pdf
(714.17 KiB) Downloaded 23 times
I grew up thinking that I-10 was the Mason Dixon line.
1986 Airboat Engineering Inc., 14' Marsh Master. Refreshed narrow deck, SV O-540. A Bob Stossel original, still running strong.

Return to “Aircraft Power Only”