plugs and wires

Aircraft powered airboat discussion.
snow bullet
Southern Airboat Member

plugs and wires

Postby snow bullet » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:02 pm

i was thinking of getting rid of my aircraft plugs in my 0520 and putting in some automotive styles plugs
what plugs should i get ?
were do i get a good set of wires ? is there any specifics on the wires

Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Re: plugs and wires

Postby GMAC 76 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:21 am

I like the new autolite #386(wont rust) and the ngk ab 6 for plugs gapped at .022-.024.....make your wires metal core 7mm using copper or aluminum terminals in the mag caps...I like the copper cause you can solder them....I build wires with low profile caps if I can help ya out or napa sells the 7mm wire by the foot and the terminals and boots to make your own

Site Supporter - VII
Site Supporter - VII

Postby schmidtav2 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:17 am

Schmidt Airboats sells pre-made, ready to install spark plug wire sets for most aircraft engines to use the automotive style spark plugs
Schmidt Airboats
Pompano Beach, FL

Slidin Gator
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Slidin Gator » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:54 pm

snow bullet,

I wish you had said you had a Lycoming 540 with Bendix 20 mags and wanted to switch from AV to auto plugs, I'd gladly swap you my set up! I included an attachment showing how I built my wire harness, if you really want to go down that path. Honestly, I learned my lesson though since I spent as much on materials as you can buy a set up for (although I see you are in Canada). The big issue with this ignition system is the radio noise that comes from the solid copper wires and non-resistor plugs. I use GPS/VHF dog tracking gear and the radio noise drowns out the dog collars and the system looses track when my motor is running. For my purposes this is a real problem, not only keeping up with the dogs (and keeping them away from the gators), but the fact that I have to shut down quickly without giving the motor a good cool down. The same issue applies with any radio communications gear you might be using.

You will see on the attached that I put shielded braid over the wires and tied them all to ground. I was hoping to shield the ignition system enough to cure the interference, but as soon as I fired the engine back up in the shop I could tell this was a waste of time, I could see the noise on my old tube TV. So, don't waste your time with the shielding unless you like the look, the emf leaks out without shielded plugs.

I am now planning to swap to an AV harness and plug setup before next hunting season specifically to get a fully shielded system, eliminate the interference and eliminate hot shut downs to improve my motor life.
Bendix 20 Mag - Plug Wire Harness.pdf
(714.17 KiB) Downloaded 12 times
1986 Airboat Engineering Inc., 14' Marsh Master. Refreshed narrow deck, SV O-540. A Bob Stossel original, still running strong.

Return to “Aircraft Power Only”