Update overheat and detonation ! Thank you!!!

Aircraft powered airboat discussion.
FlounderPounder
Southern Airboat Member

Update overheat and detonation ! Thank you!!!

Post by FlounderPounder » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:15 pm

Thanks to all y’all help, 5 gallon AV fuel, and retiming, and a tuneup, ran the boat for couple hours this evening, well about 5 hrs, ran wonderful. And I did not want to say but the hull my little 360 is pushing is 18X76” . Thanks to you alls help it ran great!!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Southern Airboat mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Deano
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Re: Update overheat and detonation ! Thank you!!!

Post by Deano » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:26 pm

Glad to hear it. Both, that you got it sorted out and the Thank-You.
Seems like all to often, we never hear back after the fact and are then left wondering about the aftermath.
Glad you got him squared away. That is a really good engine, even if he don't like job you gave him. :lol:
"The suppression of uncomfortable ideas may be common in religion and politics,
but it is not the path to knowledge; it has no place in the endeavor of science."
- Carl Sagan

Slidin Gator
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Slidin Gator » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:53 pm

Flounder,
Cool, glad to hear it. Now you know what you are working with. That is a hell of a big a## boat for a 4 cylinder aviation motor to push, can I assume you are fishing the flats vs. a bunch of dry running? If so, that is a good, economical motor for sure, but it is going to work. With a good running boat you have a basis for experimenting with different fuel blends. I would suggest 50/50 (AV/93) as a first mix, I know this has worked well in the past and do not think you will need to make any timing adjustments. Then work your way down from there to see what it will run on and still perform to your liking. I know it's not hot in Victoria, Tx. yet, so stay conservative as summer comes until you have things dialed in.

Let us know what you end up with and what is working for you so we all have data points on this.

Interestingly, Ethanol does improve engine cooling, but check your fuel system out for Ethanol compatibility.
I grew up thinking I-10 was the Mason Dixon line.
1986 Airboat Engineering Inc., 14' Marsh Master. Refreshed narrow deck, SV O-540, 72” NGQ. A Bob Stossel original.

FlounderPounder
Southern Airboat Member

Post by FlounderPounder » Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:29 am

Slidin Gator wrote:Flounder,
Cool, glad to hear it. Now you know what you are working with. That is a hell of a big a## boat for a 4 cylinder aviation motor to push, can I assume you are fishing the flats vs. a bunch of dry running? If so, that is a good, economical motor for sure, but it is going to work. With a good running boat you have a basis for experimenting with different fuel blends. I would suggest 50/50 (AV/93) as a first mix, I know this has worked well in the past and do not think you will need to make any timing adjustments. Then work your way down from there to see what it will run on and still perform to your liking. I know it's not hot in Victoria, Tx. yet, so stay conservative as summer comes until you have things dialed in.

Let us know what you end up with and what is working for you so we all have data points on this.

Interestingly, Ethanol does improve engine cooling, but check your fuel system out for Ethanol compatibility.
It is strictly a flats boat . It will do 35mph at wot in deep wtr, cruised at 1200 rpm at 20 mph by gps. Found out the Edna airport don’t require a tale number to buy av gas. Right now running 75/25 mix. I’ll keep tuning and updating. Thanks again for all the help!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Southern Airboat mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Seadrift
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Seadrift » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:24 pm

Port Lavaca airport requires no tail # and has easy access to pumps , open 24/7
2000 Combee 18' / TIO 541 Don't laff, it takes me there and brings me back.

Gary S
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Gary S » Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:01 am

Your asking a lot from that motor. Do it a favor and don't mix the gas. our already going to the airport to get fuel. Run good fuel and it will be one more thing you don't have to worry about.

GMAC 76
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by GMAC 76 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:31 am

Gary S wrote:Your asking a lot from that motor. Do it a favor and don't mix the gas. our already going to the airport to get fuel. Run good fuel and it will be one more thing you don't have to worry about.
X2

Return to “Aircraft Power Only”