Tuning an o470?

Aircraft powered airboat discussion.
TDezso
Southern Airboat Member

Tuning an o470?

Postby TDezso » Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:24 pm

Is there anything tunable about an MA4-5 carbed a/v o470 besides the lean rich screw?

Sent from my iPhone using Southern Airboat mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Gary S
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Re: Tuning an o470?

Postby Gary S » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:57 am

RPM on throttle.

GMAC 76
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Postby GMAC 76 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:17 pm

Economizer....specially if the carb is not a part number match for the engine its on or the carb has been modified internally...like a drilled out nozzle or wrong jet #

TDezso
Southern Airboat Member

Postby TDezso » Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:30 pm

Well. You put the carb together for my engine. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Southern Airboat

GMAC 76
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Postby GMAC 76 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:43 pm

if I remember right your engine WAS fuel injected av i0-470 so there is no truly matched carb ever built for that engine...so I built a carb for an oem 0-470 carbureted engine which is as close as I could get...you asked if there was any other tuning options for your setup....... yea there is ...the economizer...when ya start framkienstening things then ya have to tune them to fit your set up and each engine is different and the tuning has to be done on the engine I cant do it in the shop ...also don't forget the lean/rich fuel adjustment lever....what is it doing now that makes it need retuning

TDezso
Southern Airboat Member

Postby TDezso » Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:47 pm

GMAC 76 wrote:if I remember right your engine WAS fuel injected av i0-470 so there is no truly matched carb ever built for that engine...so I built a carb for an oem 0-470 carbureted engine which is as close as I could get...you asked if there was any other tuning options for your setup....... yea there is ...the economizer...when ya start framkienstening things then ya have to tune them to fit your set up and each engine is different and the tuning has to be done on the engine I cant do it in the shop ...what is it doing now that makes you need to retune it?

It’s got av jugs on a -15. Seems to be running rich. It’ll load up idling for a period of time. Like when it’s warming up. I have to clear it out before it has power. I’d just like it to run as efficient as possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Southern Airboat mobile app powered by Tapatalk

GMAC 76
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Postby GMAC 76 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:34 pm

sounds like an idle screw adjustment to lean the mixture is needed and maybe a small increase in idle rpm will help so it don't load up at an idle...those engines are not real efficient at an idle when there cold that is why the airplane guys always warm'em up at a higher rpm than operating temp idle rpm....read those spark plugs they will tell the story...the economizer adjustment wont help if the problem is a rich idle

John Fenner
Southern Airboat Member

Postby John Fenner » Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:16 pm

Tweak that idle circuit screw leaner, falls out open it up, they can be tricky to set, take your time, even ramp up rpm if need be till happy, then set idle stop.
I never finish anyth,,,.

mojoe
Southern Airboat Member

Postby mojoe » Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:19 pm

John Fenner is usually right. As a rule, follow his advice. The only thing I can add is to be patient when listening to each adjustment. I used to think the effects would be instant and could never seem to get it right.

I get much better results now when I lean it 1/4 turn at a time, then wait at least 30 seconds to listen for the effects of what I just did. When it starts to stumble, back it up 1/4 turn and it’s good.

Hope that helps.
Mark 7:9

Return to “Aircraft Power Only”