A/C engines converted to run on diesel.

Aircraft powered airboat discussion.
Uhairball
Southern Airboat Member

A/C engines converted to run on diesel.

Post by Uhairball »

This company is converting 4 and 6 cylinder aircraft engines to run on diesel and fly in a Cessna 182. I emailed them
to see if they want to put one in an airboat for trial purposes. They claim much better fuel economy.

https://www.smaengines.com/

John Fenner
Southern Airboat Member

Re: A/C engines converted to run on diesel.

Post by John Fenner »

Interesting concept, manual injector pump(s), 4/6 cylinder, adapt to magneto drive(s), having 15/16:1 pistons made to withstand the abuse, add in a variable vane turbo charger with a map sensor to drive the controller and vary the boost. Totally doable, cost effective, not sure, maybe for aircraft use, I dont know if airboaters would have any return of investment via fuel consumption loss.
I never finish anyth,,,.

GMAC 76
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by GMAC 76 »

i would be very concerned about the aircraft cyl seperating with the compression and boost

John Fenner
Southern Airboat Member

Post by John Fenner »

GMAC 76 wrote:i would be very concerned about the aircraft cyl seperating with the compression and boost
True statement, the heads would have to be girdled, the first pe150 we put aluminum rods in and flat tops fired up dieseling with mags off with 145 octane, it was a hell of a sound for about 3 seconds, it had to be around 16:1, should've run kerosene in it, haha.
I never finish anyth,,,.

Return to “Aircraft Power Only”