0320 Oil Change

Aircraft powered airboat discussion.
Billykid
Southern Airboat Member

0320 Oil Change

Post by Billykid » Thu May 17, 2018 8:41 pm

New to aircraft power, Is it necessary when changing eng. oil to drain the oil cooler? if so the best way not to make a big mess, it does not look like it holds very much, and the oil looks clean, but do not know when it was changed last before I got the eng thanks for any help :scratch:

Gary S
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Re: 0320 Oil Change

Post by Gary S » Fri May 18, 2018 6:49 am

I always pull the cooler and dump it. Mess can always be cleaned up. If your motor doesn't have a spin on oil filter you also need to pull the screen on the accessory plate between the mags and clean it. It will have 4 bolts and it sticks out.

GMAC 76
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by GMAC 76 » Fri May 18, 2018 9:39 am

X2 ON THE SCREEN......it will tell ya a lot about how the engine is wearing too.....add some lucas oil stabilizer to the oil change, the engine will love it

Red326
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Red326 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:40 am

Is it better to change it after the engine has been warmed up or change it while it’s cold? Found some condensation in mine and want to get that out asap.

Deano
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by Deano » Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:48 am

Better to change in warmed up, imo. Gets more of it out, and faster to boot.
You'll need more than warm to burn off the condensation anyway.
Extended running conditions are better suited for that purpose.
Change it, and then go run it like its a new toy. :)
"The suppression of uncomfortable ideas may be common in religion and politics,
but it is not the path to knowledge; it has no place in the endeavor of science."
- Carl Sagan

Red326
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Red326 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:03 am

Deano wrote:Better to change in warmed up, imo. Gets more of it out, and faster to boot.
You'll need more than warm to burn off the condensation anyway.
Extended running conditions are better suited for that purpose.
Change it, and then go run it like its a new toy. :)
Thanks Deano, with heavy rains and high humidity, Im guessing AC engine casings or the oil suck up moisture like a sponge? A mechanic told me try and run the engine at least every five to seven days at idle for an hour to help reduce moisture and corrosion build up but hey avgas ain’t cheap ya know :dontknow:

kwanjangnihm
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by kwanjangnihm » Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:10 am

Red326 wrote: A mechanic told me try and run the engine at least every five to seven days at idle for an hour to help reduce moisture and corrosion build up
I have to disagree running at idle for an hour!
I ran my AV540 15-20 minutes to running temps at 1100-1500 rpm's and would go up to 2000 for a few minutes. (did this 2 or 3 times a month if not running the marsh) Maybe someone else can chime in on subject! :salute:
" I don't care who you are back in the world, you give away our position one more time, I'll bleed ya, real quiet. Leave ya here. Got that? "

mojoe
Southern Airboat Member

Post by mojoe » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:52 pm

Route your vent tube below the motor, not above it if parked outside. Condensation and rain run down hill. Run it hard each time you run it, especially if you idle for a long time. Make a point to run her good for a while before putting her on the trailer.

Running the motor creates minute amounts of acidic water in the oil. It takes heat to turn that water into steam. That is how you get the water out of your oil. Some boats heat up quicker than others. Mine will NEVER heat up at idle. If I just idled mine each week for an hour, that would do more harm than good. Whatever it takes, get her hot enough that there is steam puffing out the vent. Now you know she is hot enough no matter what gauge says what. On mine, that takes a good hard run in the summer. In the winter, that takes a half mile of dry or a real hot lap around a lake.

I never let mine sit more than a month. Overhauled by the best in 2007. Change oil and plugs every 25 hrs since. Run it hard. Ain’t missed a lick!
Mark 7:9

Return to “Aircraft Power Only”