Lucas oil additive raising oil temp?

Aircraft powered airboat discussion.
CypressHunter
Southern Airboat Member

Lucas oil additive raising oil temp?

Post by CypressHunter » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:04 am

So last oil change I put a quart of Lucas in my 220. Mind you this is after I redid my hull, painted the rigging, replaced oil and fuel lines, and re-wired the boat. First time out noticed oil temp was a little high and she was definitely running rough. I figured that was just because a mix up at the gas station and my buddy pumped 87 instead of 93. Went out yesterday and running I was up to 185 cruising and 200 when I came off plane at an idle. Before everything I did my motor NEVER ran that hot. My buddy at camp said he would not even bat and eye at 180-185 but I know my motor and that’s high
Last edited by CypressHunter on Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
13' 6'' Cotton Mouth 220 GPU 70'' signature series

Mossy Cypress
Southern Airboat Member

Re: Lucas oil additive raising oil temp?

Post by Mossy Cypress » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:33 am

I would run straight av gas first and see if it contnues.

CypressHunter
Southern Airboat Member

Post by CypressHunter » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:46 am

Before I would only get to 150-160 running when it was hot out like it was yesterday then it would climb to 180 when I shut it down

Deano
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by Deano » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:58 am

How does your oil pressure differ? Before vs After?

I'm hesitant to believe the difference was with the LUCAS; I'd expect something else but anything is possible I guess.
It's good that you noted the difference, but that isn't excessive, imo.
"The suppression of uncomfortable ideas may be common in religion and politics,
but it is not the path to knowledge; it has no place in the endeavor of science."
- Carl Sagan

CypressHunter
Southern Airboat Member

Post by CypressHunter » Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:12 pm

Deano wrote:How does your oil pressure differ? Before vs After?

I'm hesitant to believe the difference was with the LUCAS; I'd expect something else but anything is possible I guess.
It's good that you noted the difference, but that isn't excessive, imo.
Oil pressure is actually better. Before I would start off at 60 psi cold and it would drop down to 40 psi once hot. Yesterday it was hanging out at 45-50 psi.

Just from doing some google searching I read a post on a diesel forum where a truck drive had the same issues

There is also a YouTube video where they test Lucas vs STP and destroy two predator motors seeing which motor runs longer without oil after being treated. In the test the Lucas motor was running 15 degrees hotter.

I know 180 in not bad but when it got to 200 at idle is when I got concerned. I have only ran 93 in the boat and have been doing it for 8+ years. What’s even weirder is in th last I have fought dieseling issues but enough with my temp at 200 no issues shutting down

Deano
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by Deano » Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:25 pm

More pressure with the LUCAS is not surprising. I have and do use it for that purpose in certain cases for that specific reason.
I suppose more pressure equates to more oil pump draw/load, and could equate to more heat. That concept is not abstract by any means.

Now that you mention dieseling, excessive timing can create more heat as well. Did you alter your Mag(s) at all with all the other work you did on the boat since before? If your timing changed, I think I would hold that as suspect as I would the Lucas.

I am hesitant to state anything definitely because my experience with that specific engine is quite limited.
Others here are better to comment for that reason. I'm sure you'll get more input when for eyes have seen your post.
"The suppression of uncomfortable ideas may be common in religion and politics,
but it is not the path to knowledge; it has no place in the endeavor of science."
- Carl Sagan

diamondback0320
Southern Airboat Member

Post by diamondback0320 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:28 pm

I've read a lot of positive reviews on the Lucas on here thru the years and 2yrs ago decided to put some in my Dodge pickup with a oil change & don't know if it was from the Lucas but my truck oil pressure was better for about a week and then within 5 min of a cold start I had no oil pressure & motor started knocking so I assumed that the oil pump took a crap..so needless to say I have not used it again especially in my boat

CypressHunter
Southern Airboat Member

Post by CypressHunter » Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:40 pm

Deano wrote:More pressure with the LUCAS is not surprising. I have and do use it for that purpose in certain cases for that specific reason.
I suppose more pressure equates to more oil pump draw/load, and could equate to more heat. That concept is not abstract by any means.

Now that you mention dieseling, excessive timing can create more heat as well. Did you alter your Mag(s) at all with all the other work you did on the boat since before? If your timing changed, I think I would hold that as suspect as I would the Lucas.

I am hesitant to state anything definitely because my experience with that specific engine is quite limited.
Others here are better to comment for that reason. I'm sure you'll get more input when for eyes have seen your post.
Did not touch the mag. Should I let 200 at hot idle worry me if is that within limits? I am just not use to seeing it get past 180

Gary S
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Gary S » Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:53 am

You using mechanical r electric gauges? You say you rewired boat. Might have been a bad connection prior to the rewire.
Kind of expensive but you could do another oil change without lucas.

SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by SWAMPHUNTER45 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:57 am

DB0320

That Dodge pick up that had the oil pressure fail was it a 4.7 V8 by chance ?

John Fenner
Southern Airboat Member

Post by John Fenner » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:11 am

:( Lucas will raise oil temps in any aircooled engine without a vernatherm valve, the style of oil cooler bypass in that engine is a ball and spring at rear bottom of case, the spring reacts to thick oil (cold) and allows oil to bypass the cooler mostly till oil is thin (hot) then spring seats the ball and directs more oil through the cooler.
That said, Lucas not only helps pressure boost but it also makes the designed weight of oil that spring holds back oil later, pull cap, spring and ball, install a washer behind spring if you are concerned, 200° isn't too hot to me but for your own preference do the washer (s).
I never finish anyth,,,.

Mossy Cypress
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Mossy Cypress » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:10 pm

X2 thanks john for sharing your wealth of knowledge.

SeatCover
Southern Airboat Member

Post by SeatCover » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:57 pm

200 is fine for a GPU. They're built loose and can handle heat, they had em in nam covered with bushes in 100deg heat and only changed the oil when they started to knock. Can you put a shroud on a gpu? Helps on several buddy's 6 cyl boats
12' Cut Gilleo, Angle Valve 0-320, 72" Whisper Tip. Goes wherever I point it. :florida:

John Fenner
Southern Airboat Member

Post by John Fenner » Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:30 pm

You're welcome!!
I never finish anyth,,,.

diamondback0320
Southern Airboat Member

Post by diamondback0320 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:55 pm

swamphunter45 it was a 3.9magnum v-6

SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by SWAMPHUNTER45 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:07 pm

Not sure about the 3.9 but I had seen the 4.7 do exactly what you described. Recent oil change and then a fail usually while on a longer run. Dodge put the pickup tube very low in the pan and the engine if using conventional oil was known to sludge. Small droplets of sludge would be washed free by the high detergents in the new oil and would collect on the pickup screen blocking flow. If bigger clumps would fall into the pan the fail would be very quick. Often times the oil pressure would be very low but not trigger the idiot light until the bearings were already burned.

diamondback0320
Southern Airboat Member

Post by diamondback0320 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:42 pm

it was a damn good dodge dakota for me for little over 10yrs until that happened..still have it,all body is in very good shape but cant seem to sell it or part it out..no title

CypressHunter
Southern Airboat Member

Post by CypressHunter » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:10 pm

John Fenner wrote::( Lucas will raise oil temps in any aircooled engine without a vernatherm valve, the style of oil cooler bypass in that engine is a ball and spring at rear bottom of case, the spring reacts to thick oil (cold) and allows oil to bypass the cooler mostly till oil is thin (hot) then spring seats the ball and directs more oil through the cooler.
That said, Lucas not only helps pressure boost but it also makes the designed weight of oil that spring holds back oil later, pull cap, spring and ball, install a washer behind spring if you are concerned, 200° isn't too hot to me but for your own preference do the washer (s).
If 200 doesn’t worry you I won’t let it worry me. Next oil change I’ll try and see what it does without adding it. Maybe I just had a bad connection before on the sending unit. Who knows but if y’all say 200 isn’t too hot I’ll let it ride

lariat
Southern Airboat Member

Post by lariat » Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:57 pm

For what it's worth, I've been running Lucas in my 540 for the last 4 or 5 oil changes and have not noticed one bit of temp increase. I run it at the recommended rate also, which I believe is 1:4 ratio.

Slidin Gator
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Slidin Gator » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:40 pm

Lariat,

540 motors are normally configured with the vernatherm valve that John referenced, unless someone has taken it out (normally not a good move). In either event, cooling is not controlled by oil viscosity and pressure like the ball and spring bypass valve in the GPU. So your experience is in line with John's input.
I grew up thinking I-10 was the Mason Dixon line.
1986 Airboat Engineering Inc., 14' Marsh Master. Refreshed narrow deck, SV O-540, 72” NGQ. A Bob Stossel original.

Return to “Aircraft Power Only”