Gitsu 0520 Crankcase venting.

Aircraft powered airboat discussion.
malone
Southern Airboat Member

Gitsu 0520 Crankcase venting.

Post by malone » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:42 pm

IMG_0470.JPG

I need some advice on how my venting is routed. It's made out of 1 1/8 inch bilge flex hose and the ends are stuffed with copper pot scrubber. I never see any oil just a little smoke. My buddy suggested they were too vertical and should be laid down some.
The input would be appreciated. :florida: :old_glory: :florida:

Deano
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Re: Gitsu 0520 Crankcase venting.

Post by Deano » Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:56 am

I would have to agree with your buddy.

The intrinsic problem with the venting hose(s) being at or near vertical, is that when you inevitably get condensation inside them, it has no other option than to run back down into the crankcase. Ideally, although not always possible, a little down hill run would prevent that happening, which would obviously be preferable. Said differently, the shorter the vertical run coming from the engine the better. When you need to come out of the top of the crankcase, a short bit may be necessary, but anything beyond that is really less than ideal.

It is also possible, by varying the distance from the prop to the terminating end of the hose, to employ the low pressure there to gain a little suction (for lack of a better term) to aid in venting the crankcase, when or where that is desirable. It doesn't sound like you have an issue in that regard, but is still done advantageously in some cases.

Again, if you are having no venting issues, it is of no consequence, but . . .
a internally smooth hose will function more effectively than does the ribbed bilge pump stuff. Just about anything will work, heater hose, garden hose or even that clear polyurethane stuff they have at the hardware store if you want to see how much accumulates in there.
"The suppression of uncomfortable ideas may be common in religion and politics,
but it is not the path to knowledge; it has no place in the endeavor of science."
- Carl Sagan

keebo
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by keebo » Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:07 pm

I will agree as well for the condensation part, however; I did make a mistake on one boat I owned and had it horizontal with the top of the motor.

First trip out, it literally sucked about 8 qts of oil right out of my 470 in about 1/2 mile run. Luckily I watch my guages, I refilled it and moved the hose about halfway up and no more problems. I have seen other boats like I had mine but....
Sure you can Trust our government, just ask an Indian

:old_glory: :florida: :GA:

mojoe
Southern Airboat Member

Post by mojoe » Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:26 pm

The steel wool is a decent idea to keep mud dobbers out.
Mark 7:9

rowdy1
Southern Airboat Member

Post by rowdy1 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:45 pm

I installed a Morso catch can on my 520 on the port side right where the a/c oil cooler would have mounted. My mistake was to use an automotive style, K & N breather on top. It made a huge mess. Next I installed a crank case scavenger off of the port side header. That made it worse!

malone
Southern Airboat Member

Post by malone » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:30 am

Sorry for the delayed response my plate has been full with This growing up stuff.
I'll be back.

Return to “Aircraft Power Only”