Tsi0540

Aircraft powered airboat discussion.
714714xmas
Southern Airboat Member

Tsi0540

Post by 714714xmas »

I am looking to set up an O 540 I have located a TSI o-540 I want to know if I can set it up with an intake with carburetion instead of using the turbochargers I do not want issues with them later I know I'll lose horsepower. My concerns are this model has a lower compression ratio I'm assuming to allow for the turbo chargers if I switch it to carburetion am I going to have an issue with the compression or any of the internal parts will I be able to run pump gas or am I limited to Av gas any opinions would be greatly appreciated I am new to this setup on a 05 40 I have the option to buy or narrow deck straight valve but I rather have the wide deck angle valve if I can set it up for the application I'm looking for.

digginfool
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Re: Tsi0540

Post by digginfool »

I am by no means an expert on aircraft engines but I am a pilot and have some knowledge that might be useful. Yes, the lower compression pistons are to accommodate boost from the turbochargers and help prevent detonation. However, most, if not all, turbocharged aircraft engines are set up as what is known as turbo-normalization; that is, the turbocharger is there to bring manifold pressure at altitude to sea level pressures. There are conditions where manifold pressure may go into a positive boost (such as aggressive use of the throttle or during take-off settings), but overall it's just to bring the engine down in altitude, if you follow what I'm saying. Depending on the aircraft, boost from the turbo may also be used to pressurize the cabin but overall the turbo is there to allow the engine to make rated power at altitude. The point to all of this is that if the engine is rated at, say, 315 hp, it will still make that power without the turbocharger since you will be operating the engine at or near sea level. There are others on here that know far more than I do and I'm sure they will weigh in. Good luck!
“When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it” - Bastiat

kwanjangnihm
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by kwanjangnihm »

714714xmas welcome to SA!

Some of the other engine guys can chime in but here is my take.

Most of the turbo engines are low compression 7.30:1, so if you remove the turbos and add a carb setup, this will equate to about 235-245 hp.

If you added 10.0:1 pistons with the carb setup you could make about 290 hp.

The straight valve is 235-260 hp stock depending on model.

I would add up the cost of all the parts involved and make a wise financial decision.

What setup do you have in mind for this build?
He'll cut your throat, baby, stick you in the back, drive off in your Cadillac.
He's more trouble than you think, he'll kill your sugar, leave you in the drink.

714714xmas
Southern Airboat Member

Post by 714714xmas »

That's my dilemma I'm trying to make a decision right now I'd located two engines one is the one I just told you about have no intake comes pretty much with the block cylinder heads and internal parts I'd have to set up the rest the other one I found would be a narrow deck straight valve around the same price but more parts both of them seem like decent Motors I thought I'd get more horsepower out of a angle valve tsio540. But it seems like I'd have to spend quite a bit of money changing the Pistons and internal parts just to accommodate what I'm trying to do

Slidin Gator
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Slidin Gator »

I'm not that familiar with the Turbo's either, but I agree with Diggin on most of his post except for this.
digginfool wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:15 am
The point to all of this is that if the engine is rated at, say, 315 hp, it will still make that power without the turbocharger since you will be operating the engine at or near sea level.
I think Kwan is correct on performance as is without Turbos.
kwanjangnihm wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:47 am
Most of the turbo engines are low compression 7.30:1, so if you remove the turbos and add a carb setup, this will equate to about 235-245 hp.
The Turbos provide some level of boost all of the time to make rated 300 Hp with low compression pistons. At altitude they work harder to maintain sea level pressure. Loose the turbos and the engine runs, but at reduced power. All good as long as you don't loose the Turbos on take off.

As is the turbo motor without turbos could run on pump gas. Upgrading to 8.5:1 pistons and running AV gas will put you in the 270 Hp range. 10:1's 290 or higher. Injection for quick response. Pistons and rings will run you ~$75-125 per cylinder. The up stack exhaust is a pain to deal with, but can be put to work for additional power using the length up and back down for properly setup long tube headers.

The straight valve 540 is a simple machine and a workhorse. Narrow deck cylinders are less desired, but still plenty available.

If Airboating is all new to you and you are just looking to get going, I suggest the O-540. If you want a project and you are a good wrench, go with that TIO-540
I still think I-10 is the Mason Dixon line.
2013 Mike Stossel Boats, 13' x 7' deck over, IO-540, 74" NGQ less winglets.

714714xmas
Southern Airboat Member

Post by 714714xmas »

Thank you for the advice have the opportunity to get either one of these motors and I've got to make a decision I'd love to get the bigger motor but it sounds like it's going to be more of a problem I wish there was a way I could run turbos on it and get all the horsepower out of it and not have issues with the later. I can only imagine what kind of prices I would get into messing with the turbos

Seadrift
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Seadrift »

I don't know what issues ya'll are having with turbo but I've been running one for 15 yrs, their isn't much that can go wrong with them, biggest thing is the run out on the shaft, causing case strikes. A blind monkey can rebuild a turbo, hardly no parts in them, cleaning is the hardest part. Lose your boost will make you very unhappy, even aircraft make boost at sea level, that where they get their power from, they have to have boost to make any power at all ( mine makes 42 psi at sea level when I stand in it ) they do have a lag when spooling up but the waste gate can be adjusted to limit that. best to you which way you go.
2000 Combee 18' / TIO 541 Don't laff, it takes me there and brings me back.

714714xmas
Southern Airboat Member

Post by 714714xmas »

The TSI 540 motor I'm looking at it now does not have the turbos or intake on it what kind of cost am I looking at to purchase those if I go that route

Seadrift
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Seadrift »

That is not a good option to purchase those items, they are very costly, I believe you will find rebuilding it to a natural aspirated & upgraded system would be the easier & cheaper way to go and parts will be more readily available to find. FYI to replace one (1) intake tube was $1100.oo new, couldn't find a used one. good luck
2000 Combee 18' / TIO 541 Don't laff, it takes me there and brings me back.

kwanjangnihm
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by kwanjangnihm »

714714xmas where are you located and what do you have planned for this engine? Hull size, ride or hunt, etc.
He'll cut your throat, baby, stick you in the back, drive off in your Cadillac.
He's more trouble than you think, he'll kill your sugar, leave you in the drink.

GMAC 76
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by GMAC 76 »

IMO unless they are all but giving ya the engine turn the page and keep looking for your 540

Seven3
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Seven3 »

Can’t go wrong with a narrow deck straight valve. I would estimate more ND SVs have been reliably pushing airboats through the glades than any other AC engine. Narrow decks may be older, but the cases seem to have less issues than the newer wide decks. Which is ironic, because the wide deck cases are thicker around the flanges. But for one reason or another they tend to crack around the center cylinders. Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but I’m pretty sure I remember reading that in multiple sources a few years back. Not to mention the ND SV is the lightest variation of the 540.

714714xmas
Southern Airboat Member

Post by 714714xmas »

Sounds like the narrow decks going to be the way I'm going to go I'm trying to stay with a small hull something less than 14 foot preferably aluminum lots of river riding but definitely want to be able to run dry ground.. any advice at all is greatly appreciated

Slidin Gator
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Slidin Gator »

Seven is correct that the narrow deck, straight valve 540 is the lightest and most robust variation of the 540's, it is a very reliable engine. The less desired comment is based on pricing, Narrow Deck cylinders do get a bit of a premium these days. I run a narrow deck O=540 pushing a 14 foot riveted hull. It runs dry better than the river. I have a few threads covering the boat and engine, here are 2 that are relevant and should give you good insight.

viewtopic.php?t=72194
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=71997

Keep in mind that weight is the enemy. The hull is as much a part of performance as the engine and prop, I would recommend a 12 or 13 x 7 foot hull as a good match for a starter boat.
I still think I-10 is the Mason Dixon line.
2013 Mike Stossel Boats, 13' x 7' deck over, IO-540, 74" NGQ less winglets.

Return to “Aircraft Power Only”