lycoming 200 wide deck

Aircraft powered airboat discussion.
Scotty1
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III
Location: ft white fla and former Naples fla cracker for 48 years

Re: lycoming 200 wide deck

Post by Scotty1 »

:rebel: Thank You Sliden Gator we will keep all that in mind a few more days and the bottom will be done and we can flip it back over and begin to start on the rigging. :rebel:

Rafterjm
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Rafterjm »

I have no idea if this will help u but in the morning I can post some pics of my 0320? Not sure if it will be of help for your stand and mount?

Scotty1
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by Scotty1 »

:rebel: If you don't mind ,we have the general idea and have done several car motor stands just no aircraft stands so pics would help. :rebel:

CWAIS
Southern Airboat Member

Post by CWAIS »

I can share a couple pictures on how we mount engine. hope it helps a little.The steel disc is replacing the mount while we welded it up.
100_9344.JPG
100_9341.JPG
100_9309.JPG

Scotty1
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by Scotty1 »

:rebel: Thanks CWAIS all pictures are appreciated folks keep them coming more the better may combine a couple different ideas if it looks good. :rebel:

CWAIS
Southern Airboat Member

Post by CWAIS »

Couple more
100_9446.JPG
100_9445.JPG
We made our own rear mount and front mount

Scotty1
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by Scotty1 »

:rebel: Thanks CWAIS what gauge set would yall recomend.

CWAIS
Southern Airboat Member

Post by CWAIS »

The first airboat that we built, we purchased a gauge box with gauges from classic airboats and it worked out great. The next three boats that we built we made our own.

Slidin Gator
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Slidin Gator »

Here is the order list for my last gauge panel.

I already had a spare mechanical oil temp gauge that would work, so the color scheme was based on matching that. They offer 3 different capillary lengths, just figure out how long of a run you have from the gauge panel to the oil temp port to select the capillary length.

http://www.isspro.com/category_products.php?cid=189

The tach called out on the list is a programmable unit to match up with the Pacemaker ignition, you probably need a mechanical for your mags. Hit Ebay, Airsalvage and airboat engine folks for a used setup, Aircraft Spruce for new.

I also have a CHT (Cylinder Head Temp) gauge on the panel below. On a 4 cylinder, used for your purposes, cylinder temps are not likely to be a problem, I would not bother with it, but maybe leave an empty spot for future use. Use a heat gun during initial runs to see where you stand.

You also want to install a lean out cable for shutdowns. Look on Aircraft Spruce for mixture control cables. The connection to the lean out lever on that 6AA carb is a bit goofy vs. other carb options, make sure you order a long enough control and plan out routing before ordering.

I still think I-10 is the Mason Dixon line.
2013 Mike Stossel Boats, 13' x 7' deck over, IO-540, 74" NGQ less winglets.

Scotty1
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by Scotty1 »

:rebel: Thanks sliden gator any info you guys want to post on these motors is fine with me , what is a good spark plug for these. I guess i still need to figure out exactly what motor model we have . any idea on that there must be some numbers or letters some where i would think. But the motor is down in south florida and iam in north fla. :rebel:

Slidin Gator
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Slidin Gator »

Scotty,

The numbers are of no value, the engine has been modified from it's original build. For starters, all angle valve engines were fuel injected from the factory. To install the updraft carburetor, a previous owner replaced the oil pan with one from a straight valve. They also would have gutted various accessories that might have been used on a plane. We know it's an angle valve 360, wide deck with a 6AA carb (that may or may not have been modified). The one thing you don't know is what compression pistons are in the engine (7.5, 8.5 or 10:1). A compression test might give you a clue, but you would have to pull a jug and measure the piston or get the numbers to know for sure.

I run Autolite 373 plugs, there are lot's of options and even more opinions, just search this site for plug info. I run these plugs because the are in stock at the local AutoZone for cheap and at the low end of the heat range. The heat range being the primary criteria and I would suggest that these are good plugs for you to start with. If you find that the plugs are fouling, particularly if you do a lot of low speed running, froggin etc., then you might want to go up on the heat range (Autolite 376 etc.) to help burn off the deposits, just keep GMAC's advise on carb sizing in mind.

The Champion D16 and UD16 are a similar heat range to the 376, the UD16 adds an auxiliary gap that helps with fouling if it's a problem. Read more on this subject at the following link.
https://www.yesterdaystractors.com/cgi- ... &th=345062

You should also use copper gaskets in place of the steel gaskets on any of these plugs. I cut off the factory gaskets, the copper really helps keep the plugs cooler, which keeps cylinder temps down (same reason I run colder plugs).
https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/ ... skets2.php

Scotty1
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by Scotty1 »

:rebel: OK SLIDEN GATOR thank you for that bit of info the guy we got the motor from said that it had 10 : 1 compression but dont know that for sure. so i guess we will just keep moving forward and see how it goes. thank you guys oh yeah also i was wondering the way you were talking about props with longer giving a little more push instead of a 68 inch NGQ what if i went up to a 70 inch would that put me a little more in the middle of both worlds. thanks again :rebel:

Rafterjm
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Rafterjm »

20200911_181947.jpg
20200911_181957.jpg
20200911_182006.jpg
Here u go buddy, sorry it took me so long but maybe this will help you, im still learning myself.

Slidin Gator
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Slidin Gator »

Yep, you can push a 70 or 72, a little less top end, a little more low end with each step.

Scotty1
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by Scotty1 »

:rebel: Thanks Rafterjm your doing better than me , i have a real hard time trying to put pic up on here. OK Sliden Gator i will cross that bridge when it comes .thank you for all the help sir. :rebel:

Slidin Gator
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Slidin Gator »

Scotty1 wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:50 pm
:rebel: OK Sliden Gator i will cross that bridge when it comes .thank you for all the help sir. :rebel:
Scotty,

I'm just like a prison preacher here, once one of the CM inmates starts to see the light, I want to make sure they stay on the path to Aviation righteousness. I bet once ya'll get this sled running you are gonna make your son drive the CM pig and see if he can keep up with ya!

Scotty1
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by Scotty1 »

:rebel: Yes sir that sounds like a plan , but he lives in Naples and I am north of Gainesville so he lives right at the back door of the camp so I am sure he will be using it more than myself. But that's the circle of life :rebel: Maybe we will get rid of the 2 car motor boats and build another aircraft sled :salute: :dontknow: :rebel:

Rafterjm
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Rafterjm »

Stupid question but I'm trying to learn, the pic I posted does have conical mounts correct? Or is it dynafocal, just trying to get my feet wet. Sorry for being a newbie!

Scotty1
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by Scotty1 »

:rebel: My self i would say yes but i am like you a newbie . i believe the dynafocals are like the big 4 mounts that Sliden Gator posted but im not sure .some one will chime in after a while GOOD LUCK AND SAFE SLIDEN :scratch: :rebel:

kwanjangnihm
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by kwanjangnihm »

a dynofocal setup from the photo archives :salute:

He'll cut your throat, baby, stick you in the back, drive off in your Cadillac.
He's more trouble than you think, he'll kill your sugar, leave you in the drink.

Rafterjm
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Rafterjm »

Good info I appreciate it!

Scotty1
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by Scotty1 »

:rebel: what is everyones opion of 70 inch 3 blade alpha series on a 200 angle valve wide deck on 12 foot sled :rebel: or 68 inch ngq 2 blade

Return to “Aircraft Power Only”