Chevy flex plates

Aircraft powered airboat discussion.
terrible ted
Southern Airboat Member

Chevy flex plates

Post by terrible ted »

Any one have the 14 .13 dia Chevy flex plate with the airboat prop adapter pattern drilled in them already? or some one who mods them, I need a new flex plate for my Lycoming 540, My friend and neighbor, JC originally made this one and I adapted an MSD 3.5 hp starter to it. If not can some one supply me the bolt patter dimension so i can make a drawing for a machine shop to modify one.

Slidin Gator
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Re: Chevy flex plates

Post by Slidin Gator »

TedTerrible,

You're cornfusing me now for sure. Didn't you just put on a Pacemaker ignition system?
terrible ted wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:39 pm
There any value to a pair of old mags just put on a pacemaker.
How are you triggering the timing? Are your targets tapped into the Flexplate?
I still think I-10 is the Mason Dixon line.
2013 Mike Stossel Boats, 13' x 7' deck over, IO-540, 74" NGQ less winglets.

terrible ted
Southern Airboat Member

Post by terrible ted »

yes but my fly wheel finally craped out. The pace makers not attached to the fly wheel. The pacemaker hooks into where the tack use to hook up. Took the boat for a spin Sunday but the flywheel has one bad spot about 12 teeth on the compression hump. When cold its fine once warm you wont get it to crank worth a crap any more. So I want that fixed now. I can order a new Bendix for the starter about 100 bucks but without a new fly that would be foolish. If I had a new crank installed I put back on the 540s gear box and have a beast. This is a VO540 from a helicopter the block accepts a gear box I have a conversion kit on it from when I got it in 09. The cranks been modified and plated mounted on the block to mount a prop adapter so I have a custom starter to.

terrible ted
Southern Airboat Member

Post by terrible ted »

So who makes prop adapters?

terrible ted
Southern Airboat Member

Post by terrible ted »

Ok if anyone interested found it online 6 on a 4 inch dia. Now to find a machine shop that will drill the holes.

Return to “Aircraft Power Only”