Reduction unit

Automotive powered airboat discussion.
Medik248
Southern Airboat Member

Reduction unit

Postby Medik248 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:05 pm

Any thoughts on a reduction unit for a 4.3? Or if that is even possible? Any input would be great thanks!!!

Deano
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Re: Reduction unit

Postby Deano » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:13 pm

In my opinion, if you intend to carry much more than just a flip phone, you will be wanting/needing one.
Not only is it possible, but is an easy and grief free process. Just write the check, then bolt him up.
"The suppression of uncomfortable ideas may be common in religion and politics,
but it is not the path to knowledge; it has no place in the endeavor of science."
- Carl Sagan

Medik248
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Medik248 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:57 pm

What ratio would I be looking for? Mind you I'm new to this. My dad and grandfather all had them while I was growing up decided to keep the tradition going. I'm stuck between 3 different boats. One has a 4.3 one has a lycoming the other is a 350 dd. Just want to make sure I do the right things to get a decent ride boat. It'll be pretty much me the wife and a cooler.

mojoe
Southern Airboat Member

Postby mojoe » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:11 am

Lycoming!
Airboating is like marriage: There are unlimited ways a person can be right, and somehow still be wrong at the same time!!

SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby SWAMPHUNTER45 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:36 am

I think it is important to get a boat you will be happy with and one that is safe and in good running order. Why limit yourself to just those 3 specific boats. There are a large selection of used boats to choose from and a Chevy small block on a gear drive is probably about as common as anything on the water yet you exclude it from your options. Think a little more on what you need the boat to do over the next few years.

Seen to many folks get screwed so BUYER BEWARE

jeepinocala1111
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby jeepinocala1111 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:29 pm

Unless it is a true aircraft engine it should have a gearbox or you wont be happy.

kwanjangnihm
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby kwanjangnihm » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:38 pm

mojoe wrote:Lycoming!

x2 - what is the setup for the lycoming powered boat? (hull, motor,prop, etc) What is your spending ballpark numbers?

NOTE: No matter which boat you buy, be sure to take it to the lake, drive it for an hour, get the motor up to running temps, check oil pressure, temps, look for oil leaks, look for antifreeze leaks, vibrations, etc. If the seller won't do this, walk away.
Have a qualified AC/CM mechanic check it out as well. :salute:
" I don't care who you are back in the world, you give away our position one more time, I'll bleed ya, real quiet. Leave ya here. Got that? "

Prototype
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Prototype » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:49 pm

Medik248 wrote:Any thoughts on a reduction unit for a 4.3? Or if that is even possible? Any input would be great thanks!!!

I'm running a 268 ox on a built 4.3 from the ground up. Brodix build so it's not the normal 4.3!
It's way more than any DD and less than a 0540 SC av motor. You didn't post the lyc motor so could be a 100 horse or 400 horse.

Medik248
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Medik248 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:26 am

Thank you all for the input. Sorry it took me so long to get back works been killer!. The Lycoming was an 435 the other was a 350 sbc. These where just a few I found within my price range that raised a few questions was all.

Billykid
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Billykid » Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:05 am

any one know when Stinger started using the soft drive vs. hard drive??? :roll:

Deano
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Postby Deano » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:17 am

Can't answer that question exactly, but may be able to offer some insight anyway, depending on why you are asking.

In the VERY beginning everything was hard drive. Then came the soft drive, which was more of an upgrade, not a replacement.
Then over time, the popularity of the soft drive was such that fewer and fewer hard drives were sold.

They (the hard and soft) drive plates are entirely interchangeable. Consequently it is an easy upgrade to perform given the parts.

If your reason for asking is that you found a hard drive and were hoping to determine its age using that attribute, that will be between little and no help. Age of one of these is not that important compared to gear lash and seal condition. A properly used and serviced drive could be fifteen yrs old and still be in better shape than one that's only a couple yrs old, but was rode hard and put away wet.

Seals and bearings are also replaceable, so rebuilding one is an option as well if need be. Again, do your homework before planning a path. You'd have to get one a hell of a deal on one to justify buying it with the intent of rebuilding it. :idea:

Stinger finally got a website, so you can always call and ask Sharon the age of a drive by using the cast serial number on the box. This is something that I don't know that a dealer could help you with. It may be possible if she supplies them with such info, but I kind of doubt it.

That's all the generic rambling that I've got. If your question is more specific, then the answer can be more specific as well.
"The suppression of uncomfortable ideas may be common in religion and politics,
but it is not the path to knowledge; it has no place in the endeavor of science."
- Carl Sagan

Billykid
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Billykid » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:56 am

Not true, a DD caddy on a light hull will get you about any where, and won't break the bank on fuel and parts 8)

SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby SWAMPHUNTER45 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:46 am

The day of a low mileage cheap 500 are gone Billy. The engines you find most times have +100k on them and have had an issue somewhere along the road. Not impossible to find a good take out Caddy engine but very difficult and harder every day. When steel was up back 10 years ago most of the big iron went to the crushers. Cranks and heads fetch as much as a running sbc anymore. That said you are spot on, a real light hull / rig with a clean 472 or 500 will run ground fairly well.

One Eyed Gator
Southern Airboat Member

Postby One Eyed Gator » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:06 am

Yep had a Direct drive .020 472 on a 14' alumitec and SS rigging, ran it hard for almost 10 years. Went almost everywhere I wanted to go. Parts in good shape got difficult to find and expensive. And it will feel heavy and sluggish in the rear of the boat unlike and aircaft motor which will have a sportier fell to it.

Got a 5.3 iron block ls put a gear box on it and never looked back. Still a place in my heart for the sound of a caddy though.

Also have seen a few built 4.3's with a gearbox run very well but again they were not stock.

SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby SWAMPHUNTER45 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:03 am

I still have your set of heads as a matter of fact OneEye !

ladyblackwater
Southern Airboat Member

Postby ladyblackwater » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:45 pm

Parts are hard to find and are very expensive for caddy motors now. That's all thanks to Obama and his cash for clunkers. Heck you use to be able to buy a turn key 500 caddy for $500-$1000 bucks and have a damn good running direct drive boat. Now you are lucky to even get a crank for that price.
Greater love hath no man, than to lay his life down for a friend.

Bitterly clinging to my guns and my religion!

I am that conservative republican your momma warned you about!

One Eyed Gator
Southern Airboat Member

Postby One Eyed Gator » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:15 pm

Swamp I got rid of all my caddy parts but have restocked with LS parts Got a ton of stock parts that have come from upgraded ls motor ove the last few years for friend.
Found 1 472 crank in my shed but the thrust face was gone. Had 4 complete motor for a while 2 472's and 2 500's and an extra crank for each. Sold it all for next to nothing to a guy in georgia.

Return to “Automotive Power Only”